Help, snapped splined part of gear selecter

MAT325

Nov 8, 2003
Was out on my yz250(oo) earlier & the gear selecter fell off, when I checked the selecter the splined part was still attached as it had snapped right at the gear box.

I would appreciate some advise on the best way 2 remove(& replace)whats left of the spline as there is not a lot of it left at g/box to get a grip & remove it, if this the way they are removed

thanks MAT

KiwiBird

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 30, 2000
MAT- the shaft is removed from inside the sidecase. It's not too big a deal but you may need to drain the oil and coolant - not sure on your bike - so as to remove the sidecover. Then you'll probably have to remove the clutch basket to get at the shaft and mechanism.

MAT325

Nov 8, 2003
KiwiBird, thanks for the info, now I know I have to remove it from the inside.

anyone got more info on doing this on a yz250 so I dont end up dismantling more than I need to, making the job harder. I work on car engines but bike engines are new territory for me

thanks MAT

zoommx

~SPONSOR~
Apr 23, 2001
From the manual for my 98:
(shifter maintenance should be performed with clutch assembly removed.)
REMOVAL
1. Remove the shift pedal and pull out the change lever assembly
2. Remove the flange bolt, stopper lever and spring.
INSTALLATION
1. When replacing the shiftcam, apply a holding agent, shch as "Lock Tite" to threads of flat head screw, washer and key.
2. Engage the shift return spring with its home position.

Of course in previos sections the kick starter was removed and the right side cover was removed also. So it just sounds like removing the side cover and clutch hub, then the shift shaft. :think:
Roger

Oops. That was from the manual for my 490. Looks like my 250 is pretty much the same though. As was my KDX. Good luck.

Last edited:

MAT325

Nov 8, 2003
thanks for the replies, going to buy a service manual before I do the repair, couldn´t view the on-line manual

B

biglou

Hmmm, go here: Click, then on the left there is a link that says "Online Parts Catalog". Click that, then click the first drop-down menu at the top, select "Motorcycles", then select the year from the column on the left, then "YZ250M(2000)", then, "Shift Shaft" and it will show you a parts breakdown of what is involved. I love Yam's online parts manuals. An invaluable reference! :thumb:

Last edited by a moderator:

MAT325

Nov 8, 2003
Biglou, this a good help as broken piece is part is part no:1, snapped 2 the left off the 2nd splined part, has weld around it so has been repaired before.

MAT325

Nov 8, 2003
I have taken the cover off, have the new gear selecter shaft but the clutch & flywheel assembly are in the way stopping me removing the broken shaft.
How do I remove the clutch assembly & flywheel too fit the new selecter ???

thanks in advance MAT

SULLY

Apr 17, 2002
Firstly I don't know the Yam's but are you sure you cannot unhook the return fork spring on the shift selector shaft and then turn it aound so it wil clear the clutch basket?, try this first.
If you find you definitely need to take the clutch basket out then you will need to do the following:
Remove the five(six? Yam?) clutch pressure plate bolts. These are usually not too tight, and can be undone with a quick spin with the correct sized socket.
Remove all the pressure plates, friction plates and driven plates(the steel smooth ones) in a chunk. Keep all these bits together they need to go back on in the same order.
Now in the middle of the clutch basket is a large nut, aboout 22m, which probably also has a locking washer thay may be crimped over to hold the nut. Flatten this crimping with a punch if needed, and then undo the nut.
NOTE...this nut will be extremely tight, DO NOT USE THE CLUTCH BASKET TANGS, OR THE INNER HUB TANGS TO STOP IT ROTATING- IT WILL BREAK AND COST YOU LOTS.
You will need to make or hire a 'clutch holding tool', spk to your local garage to see if you can borrow one.
Once you get this nut off, then slide off the inner hub and clutch basket (again keep all bits in order for later rebuilding)
Now you should be able to get the gear shift shaft out.

If it has been welded in the past, the oil seal on the LH side is probably knackered, so get a new one, also would be a good idea to replace the washer that was crimped over. YOu will need to do all the bolts nuts up back to the proper torque setting as per the manual.
Hope this helps, Sully

Last edited:

MAT325

Nov 8, 2003
thanks for the reply, have friend of a friend who will fit my new selecter shaft & he has the tools for the job.

thanks Scully

Top Bottom