Hey JG, I know you are into Working out....

G

Yeah, see, I can't gain weight. I have tried everything from 2 peanut butter sandwhichs a night before I got to bed with a glass of milk to eating 24 hours a day on whatever I can get my hands on! Nothing has seemed to put a pound on me. I will try the diet you gave me. It's gonna be hard to swich to a diet like that, gosh all my soda's and all my candy and sugar... oh boy oh boy...
smile.gif

------------------
    -racerx
     99YZ125
     West Virginia
   "Hitting it 5th gear taped wide... you can't lose!"

JG

Super Power AssClown
Aug 17, 1999
racerx,
    ONCE AGAIN, I will STRESS a diet thats about 40% carbs....AT THE MOST

Steve,
     Carbohydrates are more responsible for bodyfat acumulation then you think. Excess carbs WILL turn into bodyfat. Unless he's running a marathon, he will not need a high carbohydrate diet to gain muscle and stay cut, which is all he stated he wanted to do. He didn't ask for a motocross workout or diet, simply a workout and diet which will result in hypertrophy and with no adipose tissue deposits...and that is how I based my advise

------------------
-John
99'RM300
Blackwood, N.J.

G

LoL... Let me clear something up. I guess I have started a war here.
Ok, yeah like JG said, I want to get some muscles, gain some weight, and stay cut. That's what I was asking for. I am not in shape at all. I couldn't run 10 feet from the cops if I had to, I would probably have a heart attack! So I just need to get my body healthy for one things, plus I want to walk around with one of those muscle shirts on.. lol j/p but I really would like to put on about 10-15 pounds of muscle. Then I would be happy! I know that would probably take me about a year to get but I got to start somewhere!

------------------
    -racerx
     99YZ125
     West Virginia

SUnruh

Aug 24, 1999
no war, no fight, not even a tussle.
i went back and re-read your post racerx.  JG is correct in saying you just wanted to get "cut".  you just posted that again.  JG is correct in saying that the number of carbs i was indicating would end up fat on you.  lay off the cokes, drink water and pump iron.  it'll take a while, but you can get "cut".

------------------
Steve Unruh - V29 TCHSS
98yz250, 81yz125, 77yz80

G

Thanks guys for all your help! I will try these out and let you know some time down the road when I start to get results. Yesterday, I only drank 1 can of coke. I drank water the whole rest of the time. So it's a start. And thanks again JG and SUnruh

Crash40

Jan 17, 2000
When I was your age, I couldn't gain weight either. Spent six years in the military, didn't gain any weight (but I did build muscle). Once I left the military, I ballooned up to 220 lbs and a nice gut.

I used to drink Coke all day long. Then I decided it's too much sugar, so I changed to Diet Coke. Hated the taste of it, but after sticking to it for one week, I couldn't stand the taste of the high octane Coke any more. Now I even make Rum & Coke's with Diet Coke.

Started drinking water every day and kept with that too.

Started doing basic calisthenics every morning for about 15 minutes. Kept with that too.

Whatever you do, do it for life. Make the choice, make the change and sick with it.

Now I am 195 (still have a gut, but not as bad), can go all day without tiring.

Pick some of the things JG and Steve suggest and do them for life- the workout can change as you wish, but not the eating habits etc.

Or, you can join the military
biggrin.gif

Crash...

Yamahauler

Jun 9, 1999
I've been reading this post for quite a while now and I've found it very interesting.  I've been working out for almost twenty years now and have tried all kinds of different diets and training circuits.  JG has given excellant advice!!!  

One thing I'd like to add (i don't think it was brought up previously...too many posts to read them all again) and I've found makes probable the biggest difference...train with a partner!  If you can find someone thats stronger and knows the proper techniques, train with them.  This does two things- one it commits you to work out because you feel obligated to meet at a certain time at the gym or where ever you train - second you push each other, this way you do those last reps to failure JG was talking about.  

I guarantee, if you take the advise given in these posts and commit youself, you will see tremendous improvement it your appearance, the way you feel, and the way you ride.  You'll become almost obsessed with working out as riding dirtbikes...I say ALMOST.  If you truly commit yourself, then you will begin to feel guilty if you miss just one workout day.  

Hope this helps!

G

Hey guys, Well I just wanted to let you know an Update!

First off, I have lowered my 8 sodas a day to 1 and I  drink plenty of water. Foods, Well I have started to change these a little, but not fully and I eat breakfast every morning now. I usually eat 2 bowls of cereal, I can't cook! lol..
smile.gif
Also I have started to workout. I have done it twice now and I am soooooo dang sore. I can hardly move today. I can barley type.

Now my next question is, how do I become unsore! LOL
smile.gif
I guess in time it will eventually work the soreness out right? Thanks guys!
smile.gif

------------------
    -racerx
     99YZ125
     West Virginia

SUnruh

Aug 24, 1999
racerx,
you gotta workout to get rid of the soreness.
really, you do.
oh, you're not really sore until you throw up from hurting so much.
then your sore.  don't do it all at one time though.
if you are sore, you're building muscle.  that is good.  sounds like you are finally on the right track.

------------------
Steve Unruh - V29 TCHSS
98yz250, 81yz125, 77yz80

michigan

Mar 9, 2001
hi guys. there are many good bits of info here, but i've been training longer than i've been riding, so i'm compelled to throw in my 2cents now.
first, simplify this whole process. consistency and simplicity are the two keys to success in training. if its a big p.i.t.a., you won't stick with it.
first, don't worry about the diet. the gym will confuse your body enough at first. stick to compound exercises. each time you lift, do the SQUAT, DEADLIFT, INCLINE PRESS, AND PULL-UP. these four exercises will make you big and strong. you can do them all at the same workoute for several months before you stop making progress. just take a day to rest in between workouts. there are several major reasons why its good to train the whole body at first: 1, your body will grown faster if many major muscle groups are stimulated at once. 2. you use your whole body when you ride, don't you?? 3. if you're riding on the weekends, wrenching one night during the week, and pimpin on your girlfriend, you probably don't have time to go to the gym four or five days a week. if you use and four or five day split and skip one workout, that muscle group goes almost two weeks without being trained. not good.

use very little weight, and learn to do the exercises properly. then you can begin to steadily add small amounts of weight.
after this is over, go hit the cardio, but don't kill yourself. start easy, then increase the intensity over the course of a couple weeks.
whatever you do, don't ignnore the squat. it is a magical exercise that will force your body to grow, make you a stronger, better rider, and most importantly, it will prevent you from being one of those guys who works out in pants because his bird legs are smaller than his arms. the squat builds hip, legs, and lower back strength, and this is the most important group of muscles of any athlete.
also, stay away from weider pulications and products. those people don't care if your stong, they just want your money.
good luck.
i'm leaving work now. i welcome any criticism.
almost forgot- diet is very simple. each a few meals each day and don't eat too much junk food. if you're hungry, eat more. if your bloated, eat less. if your urine is yellow, drink more water.

and soreness does not mean you're growing.

[This message has been edited by michigan (edited 04-02-2001).]

Jewell

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
Wow! alot of good advice here. I would apprectiate it if I could get a few ideas on how to get rid of my gut. I'm 24 years old. 170lbs at 5'10". My build is kinda small (like wrists and suff like that). I think I got my gut from drinking beer. I really want to get rid of my gut and will give up beer if that is one of the steps. Will liqure give me that same gut as beer. I only drink moderatly on the weekend. What kind of work out is best for loosing tummy fat? Please help, I want to keep my girl happy!

------------------
1997 Kx 125
1997 GSX-R 750
Doin a wheely between a rock and a hard place.

slo' mo

slower than slow...
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 5, 2000
racerx, like riding, everyone has a style they believe works best for them. The only thing I know is you have to WANT to change. I gave up the caffeine for good, it caused me three days of headaches. Drink a ton of water, it will help flush out the caffeine and impurities. Drink till you can't drink anymore, then go relieve yourself and drink more. There's lots of good advice out there (some bad too) but just remember to make a commitment that you will change your life. you can't expect to add on/knock off a few pounds then go back to living the way you were and stay fit.

vetwfo'er

Dec 18, 2000
Jewell,

You need to stop drinking. Alcohol is nothing but carbs. Also when your body processes alchohol, it convert it to sugar. These are the two biggest causes of obeasity, carbs and sugar.

If you quit drinking, cut out ALL sugar, even fruit juices and do some moderate cardio training. You'd be surprised at the change you can make.

SloMo is giving some great advice, you should listen.

vetwfo'er

------------------
99 WR400f, White Bros E-Series silencer and tapered head pipe. YZ seat and tank. Thumper rad guards, works frame guards, scots steering damper. Soon to be MX-Tech suspension. SETRA, AMA, Happy Ramblers MC.

97KDX220, FMF Rev pipe and silencer, renthals.

Courage is not the absense of fear. It is the judgement that something is more important, than fear.

woody51

Apr 2, 2001
I just wanted to elaborate on the diet thing. Diet is very important but when you eat is almost as important as what you eat. You should try to make it so that you can eat about every two hours. You will have your regular meals and then a snack in between those meals, such as yogurt and a granola bar. Eating too much at one meal is like trying to fill a 2 gal. tank with 4 gal. of gas. You are simply going to waste the extra food whether it be in fat or out you know where. It is also very important to eat something 15-60 min after you workout. During a workout you are breaking down your muscles so when you get done lifting it is important to get them the nutrients they need so they can repair themselves and get bigger and stronger. After I lift I usually take my creatian and then have a protein drink, after this I prepare supper. Just one more thing carbs = energy and protein = muscle if you have too much of either of these you body will store them away as fat. Also once you do all of this stuff for awhile it will be second nature.

------------------
Kevin
97 CR 250, 96 CBR 600
You Bleed Red so you might as well Ride Red

[This message has been edited by woody51 (edited 04-06-2001).]

Mike-200

Aug 22, 2000
An easy way to work out is to get a summer job(if you are still in school) doing manual labor. I was a grounds keeper last summer. I definatly got stronger, got a tan, got used to the sweltering st. louis heat(which helps so much during summer races), and paid off the rest of my bike. Construction laborers get paid well, and they do lots of lifting all day long. If you can though, just ride. If you ride 2-3 times a week, it will be the same as working out 2-3 times per week. In addition to getting stronger, you will become a better rider, which will help you increase your energy efficiency while riding. No training works as well for non-pro riders than simple riding. I too am right around 155-160 lbs., and I eat like a horse. We should be thankful for our fast metabolism, as we'll hopefully always stay thin. Good luck with your workout, and don't forget to stretch before and after your exersize.

------------------
'98 ktm 200exc

Top Bottom