sameden

Jul 13, 2005
I plan on getting a dirtbike so and im about to get a new vehicle and wanted a truck to transport the bike. Now im wondering if i get an explorer i can put the bike on a bike rack right? i think ive seen dirtbikes on bike racks? Or should i just go and buy an f150?

and what are some other possible ways to transport bikes?

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
Also options are open trailers, enclosed trailers, full-size vans, converted bread trucks, RVs with garages, and friends named Keith (though they don't get very good mileage and are high maintenance).

The nice thing about having it inside of a van or enclosed trailer is that they are safer from theives and you don't *have* to unload as soon as you get home.

The racks for carying bikes via the receiver hitch require class IV or V...doubtful that will be on an Explorer.

dklink2000

Damn Yankees
Feb 18, 2002
I have used two different ways....open trailer and the back of my pickup. If you are dead set on an suv I highly suggest you get a trailer. What kind of trailer would best fit your needs depends on a couple of things...where do you ride most? Is it close or do you have to travel for a long distance with some over night stay required? If you mostly ride close, then an open trailer would be best, where an enclosed trailer is more secure for over night stays.

tyesai

Nov 4, 2004
I have one of those "bike racks" for the back of my truck because I have a hard Tonneua cover for my truck. It works great I have never been worried about the bike coming off of it and it lets me keep the hard cover on the truck. It can be loaded and unloaded by one person without dinging anything with the correct technique and it was cheap. If you are going to get really serious about riding I would get an enclosed trailer but for my needs my bike carrier works great.

jboomer

~SPONSOR~
Jan 5, 2002
I too have a "bike rack" on the back of my Expedition. I feel perfectly safe with it, with little to no excess play. I would be slightly hesitant to put it on something smaller without beefing up the rear springs first, that much weight on the back and the front end of my Expe. gets a little "floaty" with stock springs.

sameden

Jul 13, 2005
how much does a trailer run and where can i get a good one i will prob just get a f150 do i need to get extended cab or something?

taraker

Freedom Ain't Free
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 3, 1999
First off, nix the "Soccer Mom Car" idea. My samich makin' bike washin' beiotch Twinspar had one of those "Soccer Mom Cars" and he never fulfilled his bike washin samich makin' obligations to the DRN crew at all.

Any 1/2 truck will suffice, except fords as they require as much maintenance as your race bike will. I have a Chevy 1500 with the Tonneua cover and this is very nice setup as I can lock up my equipment & tools while I'm away on the track/trail. I use a small trailer to haul the bike around but I have been seriously considering a bike rack, but since my neighbor ain't complainin' 'bout me using his trailer I'm still just in the "Considering Phase" :laugh:

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
Ditto on what Taraker said, Twinkie never pays his debts.

I found that a truck is way easier and gives you more options for riding. You can load up the truck with the bike or fill it with your stuff and pull a trailer. I've always had a truck, (or pickup for Pred) and it comes in handy all the time, especialy for non-riding activites.

Wolf

doooode
Jul 31, 2000
I have a pickup (there ya go Pred), and an enclosed trailer. I use the trailer for long hauls. I also have one of those racks, thats for whem my wife takes off with the pickup and I am stuck with the SUV. I think I am going to turn the SUV into a van in the near future.

TwinSpar

AssClown WannaBe
N. Texas SP
Aug 18, 1999
a454elk said:
Ditto on what Taraker said, Twinkie never pays his debts.

Taraker is delusional and all I owe you is another sticker hit and some photo hacks to a big white truck! :nod:

n_w t_ b_kes

May 31, 2005
High Lord Gomer said:
Also options are open trailers, enclosed trailers, full-size vans, converted bread trucks, RVs with garages, and friends named Keith (though they don't get very good mileage and are high maintenance).
I have a friend named Keith! Now I'll just forget about getting a trailer and let him carry it around for me. What is the maintenance like on them Keiths? ;)

MXGirl230

Stupid tires and trees
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Dec 19, 2002
I have a 3 rail trailer I picked up for really cheap. I pull that no problem with my Explorer. When we don't use that for trips we toss the bikes in the back of our Dakota 4x4 extended cab or we'll pull the trailer.
I saw one of the bike rack things on an Explorer at one of the tracks. It had an 85 on it, but looked a little unstable.

BTW: Soccer is NOT for all girls :fft: I was more into basketball :nod: Some of my "friends" played soccer, but not me.

Last edited:

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
Welcher.

bikepilot

Nov 12, 2004
For most of my riding years I transported my bike and stuff in a Toyota pick up truck (1989 model, similar in size to a tacoma, ranger, or S-10). It worked great and was reasonably fuel efficent. I recently was given an enclosed trailer (high point, 20' box) and got a great deal on a F-250 turbo diesel (extended cab, long bed). Its very handy being able to store the bikes in the trailer and drive off with them without having to load up or anything (atk bike shoes keep pressure off the suspension) but I use more fuel and have more stuff to maintain now.

I think a jetta TDI with small 3-rail trailer would actually be a very nice set-up. You could comfortable carry 3 bikes and a lot of gear on the trailer, decent amount of room in the car and you wouldn't spend much on fuel. Perhaps in the future I'll go this route but for the time being I'll keep putting fuel into the pickup.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
If you go trailer I'd strongly suggest an enclosed trailer. Why? As stated you can keep your stuff in the trialer and ready to go no loading/unloading. It also keeps the garage space free for other toys or activities ;) An open trailer is basically a load/unload item with the added bonus that you have to store it. If you have to store a trailer anyway make it hold some stuff as long as it's secure. Now if you go with an enclosed trailer AND truck (aka "pickup") then you have options as has been pointed out as well. Me, I have a F250 and enclosed trailer. Sometimes the bikes are in the truck sometimes they ride in the trailer, depends on the situation and what I feel like doing. The biggest plus with a truck/trailer combo is you can move a lot of bikes and gear so your friends can pay for your fuel LOL!

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom