how often shud i grease there parts? please help

king_wop

Nov 6, 2002
Helllo everyone i am new to this fourm and i am asking an important question. I just got a yamaha yz 125 2002 and i am wondering how often i should grease my wheel earings, neak bearings, stem, and rear linkage? PLease let me know i would really appreciate it! :yeehaw: ;)

los36

~SPONSOR~
Feb 7, 2002
The linkage, shock, swing arm and steering bearings should be grease as soon as you get the bike. After that, depending on how often you ride, about every 4-6 months. More so if you ride in the mud or use a pressure washer alot.
Oh yeah, don't forget the rear brake pedal!

king_wop

Nov 6, 2002
Thanks man i really appreciate your help, if anyone has any other imputs i would really appreciate it also, and no i dont ride much mud, if there is mud there aint to much, and i dont use a pressure washer, and i dont ride any sand, thanks :D

Rcannon

~SPONSOR~
Nov 17, 2001
The Yamaha waterproof grease is good. I like it because it is waterproof (obviously) by also because th ecolor matches the YZ. The stuff that oozes out blends right in. This is nice when it cannot be washed off!

viking20

Sponsoring Member
Aug 11, 2002
New bike-grease everything!My son rides all we can manage,or afford for 2 weeks.Then Im at work in the evening,and we cant practice during the week.
This give me time to go over the bike,so at least once a month for us...

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
Just grease everything that moves, axles and swing arm pivot bolts included. It'll take you a few hours to do it but once or twice a season should be fine. Take it apart halfway through the season and see how it looks, you can gauge it from there. Don't forget the spokes, they get seized up if not tended to.;) Also don't forget the clutch and throttle caables. By taking your ride apart after a season, you'll see exactly what needs to be done for sure. Good luck

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
No season's really, we just go by pictures from the East Coast!

I loosen one spoke at a time and shoot WD down inside the threads, then spin the wheel around to force it in. It sucks when they seize up, let em tell ya! It helps the next guy that buys your bike too.

xr400forever

Jan 6, 2002
Next time you are changing your tire it is easy (though time consuming) to pull out each spoke nipple (one at a time) and re-install with anti-sieze compound. If you don't do this in the first year the spokes will start to sieze up, then you are looking at new spokes just to be able to true your wheels. A little effort now saves a lot of hassle and expense down the road!

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
:thumb:

dat dude

Nov 11, 2002
A good cheap lube that you can find anywhere is Boat Trailer bearing grease. Its waterproof and works well on all your typical lube points. Also make it standard practice to use anti seize on threads, it can save a lot of headaches in the future.

Top Bottom