RECENT POSTS

how the hell

wardy

2005 Lori Nyland Award Winner
I realize that living in the dark ages like I have for many years is due to the lack of concern for what is on TV. Course with an antenna, (thats right that "thingie" that is on top of the roof) we got like 2 channels abc, and pax, with an assortment of snowy stuff on other channels. we watched like 3 or four shows a week, the rest of the time is on the computer or doing other stuff.

enter in now

we today got direct tv, holy cow, gncc raceing, paris to dakar, all in one night.

course now there are still 130 other channels to watch?

so where is the time?

wardy

JuliusPleaser

Too much of a good thing.
Welcome to the 90's. :)

Good choice on the DirecTV. It's still the best deal out there - at least until Rupert Murdoch ruins it.

Once you've gotten a peek at the programming on those 130 channels, the "Dark Ages" are gonna seem like the good old days, unless of course you get the "Science and Tech" channels.

gwcrim

Subscriber
TV..... this generation's opiate for the masses.

Make sure you don't watch the noodie channels. That's stuff will make ya go blind! :eek:

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Originally posted by Okiewan
Of those 130, there are about 10 good ones...
and to get those ten good ones, you gotta buy the other 120 as well :|

Carp824

Subscriber
Our family has had cable and satellite. We made the decision about two years ago to take it out and just have basic tv. We now get five channels and we watch very little of those.

It was one of the best decisions we have made. My kids play outside more and we as a family spend more time together. We use the money we paid on the cable and use it for doing things as a family.

I had a teacher in high school who called the tv the "Stupid Box" I think he was right.

Stupid box is pretty accurate, except for those 10 channels :)

Anything Discovery (TLC, Science Channels, History Channel, etc, etc)

wardy

2005 Lori Nyland Award Winner
Yep finding that out quite a bit, history stuff and tech stuff is cool. "stupid box " could apply to a couple of electronic deals around here! LOL

wardy

CaNaDiAn,Eh?

You'll soon find that out of those 200 or so channels there are only about 10 good channels to watch as the others said. And when you find something that you do really want to get you will find that you don't get that channel. If you decide that you want to get that channel, it is then that you find out that you have to pay an extra $29.95 per month because if you want that channel you have to buy a whole other package. We get very few of the good channels, and I can't convince my parents to switch packages....oh well....lol.

True, but here my "Total Choice" package is 39.95 and SMOKES the listing from cable for the same $$. Cable actually wants to charge more for their "digital" package which only a few channels are actually digital, for more money ($49). Cable blows.

That being said, the best I get is High Def over a simple 29.00 uhf antenna from the local networks. Dayum, Hi-Def is good.

BunduBasher

Boodoo-Bash-eRRR
anyone say Tivo !!! - Ward, you are in trouble now :)

gnarlykaw

Sponsoring Member
but their is a flip side to this whole thing. I have basic cable, ok, big deal. i watch MAYBE three hours a week. why? well, I thought if I had a big screen, I might sit around and at least watch movies with the family. WRONG! Now my wife watches that D$!M HGTV, or LIFETIME. in life size.
So now I get to spend more time wit you guys!
just a thought, define "stupid box" or idiot box is it the PS2 our kids are using? or maybe the 1 or 2 or some cases, the three pc.s in the house? or maybe the handheld gameboy our kids might be playing. IMO, i think it is anything that holds out attention for a long period of time from what we should REALLY be doing. interacting as a family.
i'll step down now from the mic.................................