duke boy

Dec 2, 2005
My 1st post. My '89 KX 250 has forks and triple tree from a 1991 KX and the right fork seal is leaking. I'd like to change the seal myself and I have the assembly manual. It tells you how to break down the entire fork but not simply how to replace the seal. I began breaking down the fork but got stuck because I don't have the pushrod rod removing tool. Is there a simple way to access the seal? I think it is leaking beyond doing the cleaning trick that I've read about o here and the fork is already half way taken apart, so I may as well just change the seal.
Thanks

Pantaz

Dec 13, 2001
There is an old trick, but it's really messy. ** I have not tried this with "modern" (cartridge/USD) forks.**

1) Remove springs.
2) Remove seal lock ring.
3) With the fork extended about six inches, fill the fork completely with oil and install cap without getting any air in the fork..
4) Here's the messy part: Use a hydraulic press to compress the fork tube. The pressure in the tube will force out the seal. Be prepared for a flood of fork oil!

kshackleton

Oct 12, 2005
duke boy said:
My 1st post. My '89 KX 250 has forks and triple tree from a 1991 KX and the right fork seal is leaking. I'd like to change the seal myself and I have the assembly manual. It tells you how to break down the entire fork but not simply how to replace the seal. I began breaking down the fork but got stuck because I don't have the pushrod rod removing tool. Is there a simple way to access the seal? I think it is leaking beyond doing the cleaning trick that I've read about o here and the fork is already half way taken apart, so I may as well just change the seal.
Thanks

The parts diagram on the '91 looks virtually the same as my '01.....I changed the fork seal on my '01 recently and it was easy as pie....

1. remove the cap from the tube and rod.
2. remove the spring
3. dump out the oil
4. remove the dust cover and seal retaining snap-ring
5. Very sharply snap the inner and outer tubes apart....this will remove the seal.
6. Slide on the new seal, reassemble the tubes
7. seat the seal [i used a short length of 2" PVC tubing cut in half].
8. Install the snap-ring and dust seal.
9. Add oil, spring, cap
10. enjoy.

Top Bottom