How to improve low-end power on a CR80?

ghunter

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 24, 2001
I recently picked up a pristine '99 CR80 that had only 1 ride on it for an unbelievable price. Having been riding my WR450 for the past several years, and Husabergs prior to that, I am kind of 'out of the loop' when it comes to building low-RPM power in a 2-stroke. I never needed to worry about that with my thumpers :p

I have jetted the bike correctly and that helped quite a bit in finding some small amount of low-mid power. I do understand that this is the nature of a non-powervalved 80cc race bike, but before I just resell this bike (I have no real need for it) I would like to see if I can make it a little more pleasant to dink around on.

A Fatty pipe or similar would surely help, but that is about all I can think of at this time.

Any suggestions?

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
Exhaust could help.... other ideas would be a bigger rear sprocket, flywheel weight, reeds....

ghunter

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 24, 2001
Thanks for the reply Nikki,

I hadn't really though of changing sprockets or adding flywheel weight as neither will really 'add' more power, just change how it is delivered. However, both are good ideas for improving the 'fun factor' and I appreciate the reminders.

Reeds...eh, I've not ever really noticed a 'major' difference to the low-end by adding reeds unless they were tweaked to be stiffer, and then of course they tended to 'flutter' at high RPMs. But, as I said, I have been out of the loop with smokers for so long that technology has probably caught up with design and materials of reeds as well. Definitely a cheap and easy bolt-on regardless of the end result and worth a try.

Either way, thanks for replying so quickly :-)

Gregg

May 5, 2007
I have an 2002 cr 80 and it has great bottom end for a two stroke 80.Its all stock and probably different from your 80 but i run a br8es insted of the recommended br10eg.I know people say not to run hotter plugs but it hasnt given me any problems and it has around 50 hours on it like this.(i got it last month so i dont know how many hours were on it before.)

jason33

Oct 21, 2006
bore it out- super mini-
smaller front sprocket- 2-3 teeth smaller will greatly improve the bottom end pull-i did this with my kx 80 and it is amazing!
carbon fiber reeds- pipe,and silencer-
port work-

Top Bottom