Budda

May 24, 2000
I'm looking at a 2000 GMC extended cab 4x4 with 80000 miles, very clean.
Does anyone have any experience with these trucks? Don't want to invest money in a truck that will go bad in a couple of years.
Thanks

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
Nice truck. I think there is a TSB for piston slap, but other than that no known problems that I'm aware of.

KSHAFFER

~SPONSOR~
Sep 10, 2001
if a truck already has 80,000 miles on it in a couple of years it's gonna have some problems when you double the mileage. i have just over 80,000 on my 1999 silverado and i have only replaced the top ball joints on the front end so far. but with any vehicle after say 120,000 miles your going to start having problems with stuff wearing out.

Budda

May 24, 2000
I only put around 120000 miles max a year...so thats not too much a concern. I was just wondering about any common problems. The truck is very clean, and I'd be buying it from a reputable person. I just have reservation about buying a truck a used 4yr old truck with 80k for around $15k, which is fair according to kelly blue book.
Thanks for the responses!

Camstyn

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 3, 1999
I hope you meant 12,000 miles :)

Sounds fair but keep in mind that you can often get a brand new one at 0% financing, if you're going to finance this one your monthly payments might be very close to the price of a new truck.

The only thing I've heard of is the piston slap referred to earlier, doesn't cause any damage it's just annoying at cold startups. If the truck has the 5.3 v8 it will surprise you with how good it is on fuel.

I was talking to a guy with a '99 that has the 5.3, he's at 200,000 miles and hasn't had any problems at all. Good maintenance goes a long way.

Dragmeistr

Sponsoring Member
Oct 14, 2002
I have a 2001 and my cousin has a 2000. Neither of us had any problems. The only thing I had to do to my 2001 is replace the bearing hub on the driver's side. This went out at 45,000 miles. I think this was my fault though from overtightening the axle nut when I installed my lift kit.

DanAKAL

May 3, 2003
I might be in the minority but I had a 2000 4x4 2500 Chevy ext cab long bed. It would have been a great truck if the transmission would have stayed together. At 40,000 miles I traded it for a Dodge because of constant tranny troubles and a noise in the 6.0L engine that me nor the dealer could identify. I could have understood it had I been pulling big loads and such but I don't even have an enclosed trailer. Just an open flat bed trailer. This is the third Chevy that has done this so I think I'll give Chyrsler a try for a while. Sort of got a bad taste for Bow Ties now and I have had Bow Ties ll of my life.

Top Bottom