I had to say goodbye to my best friend tonight

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
It was just another day.

I got up at 5 AM. Cowboy was in his usual spot at the bottom of the stairs (protecting the upper floor of course). When I opened the bedroom door, he made his way up the stairs to take his daily, morning position, laying next to the bed on "mom's side". You see, she, and only she let's him out in the morning, while making coffee. I offered (as everyday) to let him go outside, which he, like every day, ignored and in his own way said; "sorry dude, mom let's me out".

Fast forward to early afternoon.

All is well, especially when Cowboy see's the piece of steak I put in his bowl.. "yeehaaww" he said (in so many words).

A little later, he get's a bath... a good brushing, and plays around in the back yard (probably looking for some deer poop to roll in to get rid of that nasty shampoo smell).

Then all the sudden, he just kinda lays down, pays no attention to anything... even the best, most loving calls I can muster. 10 minutes or so go by, we call the vet. By then I knew it was too late, there was a look in his eyes that said it, I knew he wouldn't make the trip. He didn't. They don't know what caused it, a blood clot, an aneurysm, are suggestions.

My best buddy of 10 years. It's amazing to me the pain that comes from losing a "pet". To my family, he was the perfect dog. He never ran off, even with no fence. He knew what "his yard" was. He learned every dog trick in the book in a matter of days. He'd sit there with a piece of cheese balanced on his nose until he was told he could get it. I kid you not, he's sit there for an hour if that's what it took (I'm guessing of course, 2-3 minutes is the longest I had the heart to make him go).

He protected his house and family, but loved everyone that was invited in.

He was there for me, no matter what. Bad mood, good mood, even while doing taxes. If he thought I was in a bad mood, he'd just walk-up, put his head in my lap and "say"; "it's all good dad, you've got me".

He'd chase the stick like there was no tomorrow, bring it back and drop it at my feet and say "again please!"

He'd sit patiently to go get the stick I threw, If I told him to stay.

He would never tear-up a stuffed animal, even though it was his.

He pooped in the house exactly ONCE.

He peed in the house exactly ONCE.

He'd sit in my lap, on his back and put his face in my neck. An 90lb lap dog.

He never chewed a shoe, piece of clothing or anything else we own.

He did chew a hole in the laundry room wall when he was 6 months old.

He did like to get dirty socks out of the laundry and deposit them around the house (never chewing them up however)

He always stayed close to someone that was either sick, or frail. Somehow, he knew they were vulnerable.. or something. He “walked” my late Grandmother around the house, following slowly, just making sure she got where ever it was she was going.

He'd get the paper. I never did train him to get the Bud Light however.

The best thing about Cowboy? He was happy. We are believers in positive reinforcement when it comes to training a dog. He was never hit in his life, all it ever took was a firm voice if he did something wrong. All he ever wanted was to please. He was a fun loving, gentle animal that everyone loved. He had a perpetual smile on his face.

I could, as could most other lovers of their animals, go on for days here, but won't.

I'm thankful that he never suffered from age, he was as fit as a dog could be... he ran, he played, right up to the very end and he went fast. He was never taken for granted; he was enjoyed every day of his 10 years. He was a big part of our everyday lives and will be missed so much.

I've got to tell ya, a friend like that dying in your arms is not a good thing. I keep telling myself that my family (like so many others) has suffered through SO much worse; he's "just a dog". Somehow, while this doesn't come close to the losses we can all go through, it's s a lot tougher than I imagined.

So anyway, thanks for letting me babble...

Thanks Cowdog.

flynbryan

~SPONSOR~
May 22, 2000
I feel ya Okie, I too had my dog of 9yrs. die in my arms. When I was growing up for many years she was my only friend. As you can guess we played together, adventured together, and even though she would routinely get her butt kick(she wasn't a real "mean" dog)she would never allow another dog near me. Heck the dog even slept on the bed beside me.(often pushing ME to the corner of the bed!) Your right man its tough losing a pet, but They fill a very important part in your life. So God speed C-Dog, Heres to ya bro. :cool:

kmccune

2-Strokes forever
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 3, 1999
Sorry Okie,

Kevin

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
God speed C-Dawg! :whiner: :whiner:

dklink2000

Damn Yankees
Feb 18, 2002
Sorry to hear that. The dog I grew up with pasted about 10 years ago now. It still hurts. I have just now been able to contemplate getting another one. :(

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
That sucks man. I've never been a fan of the dogs, but I know how they can grow on you. Even though she and I aren't on the best of terms, I'd have a tough time if Bree went down.

here's to hoping he felt no pain.

gospeedracer

Chat Mom
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 8, 2000
Oh Okie, I’m so sorry for your loss. I know how much Cowboy meant to you. :whiner: Even I’m in tears! 10 years isn’t long enough. Cowboy was such an awesome dog. My thoughts are with you and Scooter.

Papakeith

COTT Champ Emeritus
Damn Yankees
Aug 31, 2000
RI
Okie and Family,
Sorry to hear of Cowboy's passing. It's evident in your words that he had a good master and a good life, and that you have lost a great friend.
:(

Offroadr

Ready to bang some trees!
Jan 4, 2000
Man this just ruined my day :(

Sorry to hear Bob!

Cowboy was great

BunduBasher

Boodoo-Bash-eRRR
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
Sorry to hear that Okie.

When Debra and I first got married, I got her a Border Collie, it was our first 'baby' and we loved that dog. When he was about 3 years old we moved into our first house, had a huge fenced yard, which was sectioned in two. Mackie had the whole of the back yard, and was not generally allowed in the front yard, as this was where the cars and front gate were. Well, one evening we had a BBQ, and Mackie had the roam of the place, ended up in the front yard where he was not supposed to be, no one knew. My brother and I had to get some sodas sometime in the evening and popped of to the local store. We did not know Mackie was in the front yard, and he chased our car, up and out of the driveway, managing to beat the electric gate on the way out. poor dog must have chased us for a couple of miles, and was hit by a car while doing so. Mackie never came home. Next day, we stopped at the local vet, and he had the collar for me. I still miss the boy ...

Losing a good friend really hurts, all the best Robert.

Bundu

Philip

Dirtweek Junkie
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 15, 2002
:whiner: sorry to hear Okie. From what I just read he was more than
"just a dog", he was a part of the family. Deepest sympathy. :(

flynbryan

~SPONSOR~
May 22, 2000
Originally posted by BunduBasher
Sorry to hear that Okie.
When Debra and I first got married, I got her a Border Collie, it was our first 'baby' and we loved that dog.
Bundu
Same dog I had Bundu. Wasn't that one of the smartest dogs you've ever seen? Next dog I get will indeed be one. :thumb:

Danman

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 7, 2000
Sorry to hear about your loss Okie :( Pets are a wonderful thing and are missed when they are gone. I have 2 cats and a Dog and would be pretty tore up if I was to loose one.

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
So sorry to hear that Bob. Like Eddie said, all dogs go to heaven. :whiner:

9r

Top Bottom