I had to say goodbye to my best friend tonight

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Thanks Pat, that was funny stuff man.
Billy says: "Look what I did" LOL.

Speaking of dropping something under the big-top at DW...
I know cowdog would want Elk to see this, so this one's for you LYM:

Attachments

• cdwg11.jpg
    cdwg11.jpg
    11.1 KB · Views: 111

Xtremechik

Jun 16, 2003
i no how u feel. My dad burnt my big brother and I only pet fish. He literly burnt it. I was only 6 so it was still sad for me. But belive me losing a dog is hard. I'm losing my grandpa right now, and I cant tell you how much worse it is then losing my pet fish. Be thankful for all the wonderful times you had with him. Im only 12 so I havent lost anybody or any animal but my fish, so my grandpa being sick is really hard. Its true, you never know how much you really love something untill its gone. Live life to the fullest, like tomarrow will never come. Since im cotholic and only 12 I didnt make my conformation so I still have to go to religion class. When Im there ill make a special prayer for you. Feel better soon!

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
Sorry to hear that Bob. The best friends are dogs and I'm sure your's will be sorely missed. :(

JasonJ

Jun 15, 2001
Sad sad day man. I know your pain very well, I had a dog that was like my sister, black lab, I did not get along with my brother or mom very well when I was growing up and I spent alot of time with her running around the farm house, when I got my first dirt bike when I was 15 she used to run around the fields with me as I rode around. I was 18 when she passed and she too went in my arms. I did not know what sorrow or grieving was untill that day, reading your story and all the other peoples posts brings the feeling right back into my gut and just below my throat. I loved here very much and still do and miss her, she was my best friend and Ill never forget that no matter how much time goes by.
Remeber the good times and be glad there was no suffering, haveing your friend taken from you abruptly may seem kind of shocking but thats better than the agony of seeing your friend suffer even a little bit.
Godspeed to all of our friends, see you in the big lawn in the sky!

markthomps

Sponsoring Member
May 27, 2000
Okie, sorry to hear it. We just a few months ago had a new puppy (now a full-fledged dog) join our family after too many years without. Like Cowboy, he's pretty much perfect and my day-long companion. Even after 6 months I can't imagine not having him by my side. God speed.

Thump

Jr Admin Type
Jan 17, 2000
I think you know how I feel about animals and having met Cowboy at DW01 and getting to know him only breifly I can only say that I am sorry for your loss, and it was a great loss.

I hope that you know to him it was a life gained not lost. See in his eyes he got to spend his WHOLE life with people that loved him, he got to protect his family from harm, his momma let him out EVERY morning while making coffee, he lived for hearing you call his name the way you do when you are telling how good he is and he never had that taken away. His entire life he was able to do the things he loved around the people he loved. So to him, he gained from life and gave back more than you could have ever imagined when you went to pick him out and brought him home.

I am truly sorry for your loss. He was a good boy.

And if there is a Heaven above, all white and fluffy with harps playing and stuff.... Dogs get free admittance and when you get there he'll be waiting at the stairs for you to go play stick with him in the yard.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
God made a very special connection when he introduced dogs and men.

Bob...my deepest condolences and heartfelt sympathy on the loss of your friend.

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
Okie - Sorry for your loss. The little quote below is nothing near your personal eulogy for Cowboy, but another heartfelt tribute nonetheless...

Eulogy to "Man's Best Friend" The Dog

Gentlemen of the jury:

The best friend a man has in this world may turn against him and become his enemy. His son or daughter that he has reared with loving care may prove ungrateful. Those who are nearest and dearest to us, those whom we trust with our happiness and our good name, may become traitors to their faith. The money that a man has, he may lose. It flies away from him, perhaps when he needs it most.

A man's reputation may be sacrificed in a moment of ill-considered action. The people who are prone to fall on their knees to do us honor when success is with us may be the first to throw the stone of malice when failure settles its clouds upon our heads. The one absolutely unselfish friend that a man can have in this selfish world, the one that never deserts him and the one that never proves ungrateful or treacherous is his dog.

Gentlemen of the jury, a man's dog stands by him in prosperity and in poverty, in health and in sickness. He will sleep on the cold ground, where the wintry winds blow and the snow drives fiercely, if only he may be near his master's side.

He will kiss the hand that has no food to offer. He will lick the wounds and sores that come in encounters with the roughness of the world. He guards the sleep of his pauper master as if he were a prince. When all other friends desert, he remains. When riches take wings and reputation falls to pieces, he is as constant in his love as the sun in its journey through the heavens.

If fortune drives the master forth an outcast in the world, friendless and homeless, the faithful dog asks no higher privilege than that of accompanying him to guard against danger, to fight against his enemies, and when the last scene of all comes and death takes the master in its embrace and his body is laid away in the cold ground, no matter if all other friends pursue their way, there by his graveside will the noble dog be found, his head between his paws, his eyes sad but open in alert watchfulness, faithful and true even to death.

-- By Sen. George Graham Vest of Missouri.
On Oct. 28th 1869 in Johnson County, Missouri a hunting dog by the name of "Old Drum" was gunned down by a sheep farmer. The farmer's name was, Leonidas Hornsby. Prior to killing "Old Drum", Hornby threatened his neighbors by stating "he would kill the next dog he caught on his property". This so happened to be "Old Drum" owned by Charles Burden. Burden sued Hornsby and hired three lawyers (George Graham Vest, Wells Blodgett and John Phillips) to defend his case. Hornsby was defended by two other prominent lawyers, Thomas T. Crittenden and Francis Cockrell. During the trial in Warrensburg, Missouri (Sept. 23, 1870) Vest is reported to have stated that "he would win the case or apologize to every dog in Missouri." The preceding was the text to Vest's "Tribute to the American dog".

George Graham Vest won the case in Warrensburg and won it again before an appeal to the Missouri Supreme Court. In memory of this event, a statue honoring "Old Drum" and the words of Vest was erected in Warrensburg. Sen. George Graham Vest, U.S. Senator, C.S. Congressman, Confederate veteran, conservationist and champion for the rights of Native Americans, died in August 9, 1904 in Sweet Springs, Saline Co., Mo. He was buried in Bellefontaine cemetery in St.Louis, Mo.

atc3434`

~SPONSOR~
Nov 1, 2001
Okie. So sorry to hear about Cowbody. I've never had the privilege to meet you or Cowboy, but I know what your feeling. I get so attached to my dogs. I've had two Goldens of my own now, and they've both lived good long lives. But I know when they have passed on it was one of the worst things thats ever happend to me. Dogs are family, not just a pet. They are always there for you when you need them. I know Copper, my lab, is getting old, and I'm already dreading what will inevitably happen. I just hope it isn't while I'm away at school. Anyways, I'm just rambling myself now. Godspeed to Cowbody, I know all dogs go to heaven, I've already got two there waiting for me. :whiner:

Sawblade

Timmy Timmy Timmy!
Sep 24, 2000
Okie,
I'm so sorry to hear about your loss of Cowboy. :( I remember you talking about Cowboy before and could tell that you and him had that special bond. Once you and Scooter move you will wake up one day and say, hey, I'm ready to find another best friend. Next thing you know, you will come home with a new puppy.

We had to put our dog Max down in Oct. It was one of the hardest things I have ever had to do. Suddenly the last weekend of January my wife said "I'm ready to get another dog". That evening we answered a ad in the paper for free puppies that were a mix of Dobermen/Beagle. Later that night we came home with Cooper and started making new memories with our new best friend.

Sawblade

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
Beautiful words for a beautiful companion Okie. My best wishes to you and your wife during this sad time.

A good friend sent me the following passage in a card 2 years ago when we lost our black lab unexpectedly I hope it gives you some small comfort as it did for our family.

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals that had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author Unknown

Last edited:

BEEF706

Sponsoring Member
Jan 24, 2002
Man Okie, Nuthin I can say :whiner: Moving tribute, sorry I never got to meet Cowbot, sounds like a fine freind! I'm sittin here with a tear in my eye scratching ny dogs ear feeling lucky to have a good dog, Godspeed Cowboy.

GETMETOCA

Can't Wait For Tuesdays
Mar 17, 2002
Originally posted by BEEF706
I'm sittin here with a tear in my eye scratching ny dogs ear feeling lucky to have a good dog, Godspeed Cowboy.

Yeah, I think we all came home and gave our dogs a little extra love today.:(  Again, sorry for your loss.

99CR125OK

Sponsoring Member
Oct 3, 2000
I'm truly sorry for your loss Okie. We had a dog pass away last summer, he was a valentine's gift to my wife before we got married. It's tough to lose a pet so close to you, my wife still get's teary eyed when she find a picture or something. Anyway, best wishes to you and you family. :(

bratt

Pain in da butt
Mar 22, 2002
I am once again late to the thread...I'm sorry for your loss Bob. Losing a loved one (yes pets are loved ones!) is never easy. :whiner:

Top Bottom