I hate my bike --- what am I wanting??

woops

Nov 30, 2009
Hello, I am new here!
I just came back from Turkeyville at Land between the Lakes KY.. It was so awesome.
Except again I feel like I am on a Cow.
I have crf 230 and it feels gutless.
I had a ttr 250 and it had great torque but I was not heavy enougth or strong enough to muscle it when I wrecked or had to go thru sugar sand.

I loved the lightness of a Cr 80 but are 2 strokes compatible on trails that have variety?? I mean sometimes your in second for a while.
My husband has a Drz 400 I think and I love it but can't touch and again , picking the beast up after a wreck gets exhausting.

I find the Crf gutless when you need it for a big hill unless go like a freak of nature fast and then the bike throws me everywhere.

ANy suggestions.
I am 5'6 130
The trails we do can be ruthless , so I need power-

Thanks in advance!!

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
If the CRF230 feels gutless with a 130lb rider there's probly something wrong with it. I'm 165-180lbs and my wifes TTR125 will lug me up anything I point it at. I've ridden it up hillclimbs that other guys on big bikes wouldn't go up. The problem you have is you want a fast bike in a mini chassis. The only option at this time, that I know of, is the Service Honda "JR". It's not cheap, but neither is moddifying a bike to suit you. Check it out......http://www.servicehonda.com/junior.html

woops

Nov 30, 2009
Thanks I will check it out.
My husband who is probaly 190 hates it too.
I thought being a girl and all was the problem but I am going to check it out.

BlueOval

Nov 11, 2009
Hi Woops. I had a CRF230 bought new in '04. I recently sold a trr230 that I bought new in 2007. I am 5'7" and weigh 185lb. I have ridden both of those bikes up some pretty big, soft hills. I was amazed at what can be done on one of those bikes. Yes, they are far from a performance bike and have very weak suspension, but I could really go places on either one of them that surprised me and my friends. I actually think the ttr230 is a better bike for low end and smoother running, but it just may be due to it being 3 years newer than my previous honda. I now own a 2004 kdx200 and a 2000 kx500 and just love these two bikes. IMO you should be able to take on most terrain with a crf230. .....love the 2 strokes.....

Apr 30, 2007
woops said:
Hello, I am new here!
I just came back from Turkeyville at Land between the Lakes KY.. It was so awesome.
Except again I feel like I am on a Cow.
I have crf 230 and it feels gutless.
I had a ttr 250 and it had great torque but I was not heavy enougth or strong enough to muscle it when I wrecked or had to go thru sugar sand.

I loved the lightness of a Cr 80 but are 2 strokes compatible on trails that have variety?? I mean sometimes your in second for a while.
My husband has a Drz 400 I think and I love it but can't touch and again , picking the beast up after a wreck gets exhausting.

I find the Crf gutless when you need it for a big hill unless go like a freak of nature fast and then the bike throws me everywhere.

ANy suggestions.
I am 5'6 130
The trails we do can be ruthless , so I need power-

Thanks in advance!!

I'll put in my five cents that the CRF 230 is kindof a cow. That doesn't mean I don't enjoy riding it all the time for work, but all we have are flat and mud for terrain.

The CR80s aren't exactly meant for trails, but they can be compatible. You won't be lacking in guts, but you'll be working a lot harder to keep it in the power zone. Clutching becomes very important and you might need to do a few lighter mods to keep from burning it away every day.

If you're 5'6, chances are that you could get yourself a CR125. They are going to be lighter than the TTR250 and 400. Heck. That thing will even be lighter than your bastige tank machine of a 230. At 130 pounds, that machine should have plenty of power to get you up hills. You'll still have to work with the clutch some.

If you can't touch the ground, there are some pretty easy mods to make things super doable for you. I had one, and could actually start it without help, in it's fully unmodified nonglory. (I looked like a circus clown doing it, but it was possible). I am 5'2" and ticking 120 about now. I could pick it up without help - although it was no wonderful piece of cake, it was not as impossible as it seems when trying to upright the tank230.

woops

Nov 30, 2009
Thanks - Cow is definetly how I feel.
Chances are my fear is less than my skills and maybe I want to climb hills that I shouldn't.
Truth is I could point my ttr 250 at some big ones sand and all and keep up with my hubby. But it was so front end heavy.
I am going to do some more checking around. I will assume a kX 125 sits similar to a cr 125 -- if so that was a great fit-- friend had one. My worries about 2 strokes areduring the ride --- but I am willing to learn--- ALso 2 strokes give me this crazy sense of whooooo hooo let's jump !! Maybe that's because I jump horses also!!
By the way I am 5'6 but I am legs , so glad for low rise to off set that deal!! Thanks for the advice

BlueOval

Nov 11, 2009
Woops I am 5'7" and weight 180lb. When I bought my last 250 2 stroke I chose the KX250 because of seat height and, of course, color. But it was lower and I felt comfortable on it compared to the YZ or CR, simply due to height - out of the box from the factory. I love 2 strokes and my kx500 has a shorter seat height than my kdx200. Look into the kx and compare seat heights and feel for yourself. I find that the kx is much easier for a shorter rider to get used to and really tear it up. However, must look at the type of riding you primarily do when choosing a bike. I ride primarily tight single track, moderate hills, and open desert. I don't ride on a track. Even in the woods environment I am very comfortable on a kx250 or any 2 stroke for that matter, but it just takes some getting used to. The 2 strokes feel lighter and nimbler to me than most 4 strokes. I am just biased toward 2 strokes because of the sound and excitement factor...oh and the easy maintenance. Good luck with your next bike purchase.

robwbright

Apr 8, 2005
A 125 will work, but if all you're doing is trails, you're going to have the same issues as the 85 - I never had a problem riding trails with a 2 stroke, but some people can't do it well or don't like it because of the "peaky" power. It definitely makes things difficult in certain conditions. For example, if the trails are covered in leaves and are wet, a 2 stroke will spin the rear wheel a lot easier than a 4 stroke.

Another option would be a KX100 - more power than an 85, but lower seat height than a 125.

For trails exclusively, a Yamaha WR250 or Honda CRF250x or the like would be a fine choice, I'm sure. There would be lots more torque to work with there.

OriginalRider

Nov 23, 2008
Thats the problem its because your messing with 4 strokes go get a nice 125 2stroke youll be happy!100% agree with rob!

robwbright

Apr 8, 2005
OriginalRider said:
Thats the problem its because your messing with 4 strokes go get a nice 125 2stroke youll be happy!100% agree with rob!

The power problem is b/c she's "messing" with low tech 4 stroke trail bikes. If she gets a 250f or even a 150f 4 stroke, she won't have a problem anymore.

More maintenance on the high tech 4 strokes, but if you're just trail riding, I wouldn't think it would require that much work.

robwbright

Apr 8, 2005
As far as woods, my YZ250f is like cheating compared to the 125/144 I had. . .

Much easier to lug around - but, again, I never had a problem riding woods on an 85 or a 125. Thus far, I was probably faster on the 144 because. . .

Well except for the seat height - my RM144 was lowered 1.5". The YZ250f is not lowered and I seem to fall 2-3 times each long session in the woods b/c I can't touch on off camber sections at 5'4" tall.

I intend to resolve that issue over the winter... but I prefer MX anyway.

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
With your size, I think the biggest question is, what size bike are you most comfortable? Are you looking to get a full sized bike, like the size of the DRZ400 (but lighter/smaller motor, like a 125, 200, 220, 250), or a smaller/shorter bike, like the size of a CR85, or a bigwheel 85/105, or even the CRF230 (which I believe is the same chassis as the CRF150F)?

I am 5'6", 145 lbs., and I have a CRF250R that I ride/race on the MX tracks, and a CRF150RB that I ride/race in the woods. The 150 is a little small for me, but I've accepted the tradeoff since it's so light and easier for me to throw around, compared to when I tried to race the 250F in the woods. And the power is very strong on the little 150R, actually feels pretty similar to my 250F.

woops

Nov 30, 2009
Well after reading all the posts , I guess what I want is a lighter bike , theses trails are no bunny hills and if I lay it down --- which I do when I get sucked into sugar sand or layers of stone. I want to be able to one not wreck because I know there is not enough ooomf or when I do pick it up I am not wooped after a while. I just was in awe with the KX 125 I rode several years ago. My tendency leans toward thrills cause I do Show Jumping with Horses-- but I know when not to jump a horse with no heart.
Could my crf 230 be a bad one???? Again just for my slowness list the bikes you think I would like! Thanks I love this forum!!! :nod:

robwbright

Apr 8, 2005
125s and 250s are pretty tall for you (and me). If I were you, I'd either get a KX100, CRF150R

OR

go with one of the 125 2 strokes or 250 4 strokes and have a suspension guy lower it 1-2 inches. You'll like it a LOT better that way.

BunduBasher

Boodoo-Bash-eRRR
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
hmmm ... I like girly bikes :)

I loved my GasGas Pampera280

I think for the next go around, a GasGas EC200 CC would be the ticket - http://www.gasgas.com/ec_end_2tcc.htm

gotta love light 2 stroke bikes over the 4 stroke farm bikes like the crf230 or ttr230

dang, I miss that Pamp !

Apr 8, 2009
I agree with the kx100 posts,it has great torque and should fit you just right.Get a flywheel weight and maybe some suspension work and you're set.Also dont forget the KDX its a great trail bike plus a 2stroke.I have a KDX 200 engine in my KX 125 and this is a very good engine for the woods riding and single track I do.The KX100 seat height 34"is the same as your CRF 230,the main difference is the weight the CRF is 238 dry :yikes: the KX100 is 160lbs. with full tank :nod:

weav6385

Dec 19, 2009
I dont think you should have a prob with a 2 stroke on trails, I never do, as long as I have a spark arrestor which are cheap. Go with the cr80!

MuddyBuddy

Nov 1, 2006
Woops, it's not you, you're just outgrowing the 230. Time for something better. Unless you've got some incredibly short legs, the KX100, CRF150R, or KTM105 will be too small for you. The 125 Jap two strokes will be a handfull for triail riding without some mods. What about a KTM200? They're a very nice bike and they will have plenty of power for your size/weight. I'm 5'4" 125lbs and my progression of bikes was a RM125, XR250, DRZ250, KX100, Husky TE250, and presently on a KTM200 and I think this is the one I can live with for years to come. I'm not crazy about four strokes just because of their weight. My husband also has a DRZ400 and it's a heavy pig to ride in the woods!! If the price tag on the KTM200 is too painful, you could try a KDX200/220. The KDX wont' handle as well as the KTM200 and weighs a little more, but overall, it's a nice mellow two stroke that handles well in the woods.

Dirtdame

Apr 10, 2010
I'm 5 ft. 5 in. tall and weigh about 125 pounds. I ride a KDX 220 among other things. It's got enough power, isn't too heavy and can be lowered. Makes a great trail and woods bike.

Top Bottom