OldTimer

Feb 3, 2005
I've just about had it with my Husky 360. It's a beast and I'm not getting any younger. I've decided that it's time to face facts and get a bike that I can putt around on and basically just use it for "sight seeing". I figure a CRF250X is nice and plush compared to what I've got now, but I worry about power.
I weigh between 185 and 200 lbs depending on proximity to the holiday season. I wonder if a 250X will pull me up a 60 degree hill coming off a blind turn going my usual 5 mph?
My second choice is the 450X, but I'm at the stage where I want LESS bike, just not so much less that I end up working harder trying to paddle it up hills. I'd like to be able bungle along up a decent hill, stop in the middle, take a couple pictures, and carry on my merry way.
I know I've just described an XR, but I think they'd be more work in the tight stuff. Right?

Last edited:

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
6-2 and 220 .... the CRF250X hauled me around with no problems at all. Love that bike.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
It's an outstanding chassis and a great engine. I'm 235 and a complete horsepower junkie and I was still very happy with the acceleration and power spread on the stock 250x.

The good part is, you can easily swap out the X cam for the R cam (or an aftermarket cam) and totally transform the engine if you fell it is lacking at some point.

The basic CRF250 engine has proven itself to be a very reliable piece overall.

I don't think you can go wrong with this bike.

Pushin50

Dec 18, 2006
I have a 05 250X and it has all the power I need. I tend to put around a lot. I was always the slowest kid on the block so usable power matters to me. The X works good for a slow rider down in the rpm range, but it still zings when I crank the throttle. A month ago I picked up an 08 250XCW-e (long story). Suprisingly it makes a good put-put bike but it has lots of zing when you want it.

OldTimer

Feb 3, 2005
Okay CRF250X it is then.
The dealer around the corner has a brand new '06 for $4,299. I think that's as good a deal as I'll find anywhere.
Here we go....

OldTimer

Feb 3, 2005
There, I went and done it...
100_2180a.JPG

After just under 40 miles, I'm lovin' it!!!!!
You may also notice from the photo that I've started tieing the bikes down by the foot pegs. That's not gonna break anything is it?

Last edited:

jason33

Oct 21, 2006
i wouldn't want the peg bolt to vibrate out or anything-- just a precaution
personally i would have went for a ktm 300 or something-

either way that bike looks nice - a 4 stroker,and im betting its still lighter than that husky 360

OldTimer

Feb 3, 2005
jason33 said:
... a 4 stroker,and im betting its still lighter than that husky 360
The Husky listed @ 239 lbs and the Honda @ 225.
14 lbs is a lot but it feels like 50 lbs. The Honda handles like a bicycle compared to the Husky.
I commented to a riding buddy today that the Honda handles so well that sometimes I forget to actually ride it and I just sorta sit there and watch it go!

zig06

Oct 4, 2007
OldTimer said:
There, I went and done it...
100_2180a.JPG

After just under 40 miles, I'm lovin' it!!!!!
You may also notice from the photo that I've started tieing the bikes down by the foot pegs. That's not gonna break anything is it?

Nice bike! and I think that you got a really good deal! I personally wouldn't use the foot pegs to hold it down, they should hold but I just don't like the idea. Using the traditional method (the handle bars) has everything in compression, so it won't matter if something gets loose.

Why did you decide to use the pegs as a tie down point?

OldTimer

Feb 3, 2005
zig06 said:
...Using the traditional method (the handle bars) has everything in compression, so it won't matter if something gets loose.

Why did you decide to use the pegs as a tie down point?
I think if you tow with the forks compressed it holds pressure on the seals and makes them leak. Also, when the bike is tied down by the foot pegs, the back end doesn't jump around. Since you stand on the pegs and they are designed to withstand max G's from tough landings, I figure they are about the most rigid part of the entire bike. I know I've bent a lot of handlebars and never once bent a foot peg.

Top Bottom