I think I finally convenced the fiance...

ls1cameric

Feb 23, 2006
To think about a bike instead of a four wheeler. Ever since I got my latest bike about 5 months ago, she's been saying that she wants me to buy her a fourwheeler to go riding w/ me. She wouldnt consider a bike the least bit even after i explained to her it would be much more fun than a quad after she learned to ride it. She's been deadset on a quad for months now but to my favor, my friend's g/f said something the other day. She's looking at getting a CRF100 pretty soon and my fiance asked what that was. I told her it's basically the same bike as the XR100 I wanted to buy her a few months ago but she wouldnt even look at it because it was a bike. We then all went off about how we all agreed that she should really consider just "Trying" the xr100 to see if she does like it. "I think she's scared because she's never riden a motorcycle and a quad is easy to learn to ride" So I think she's coming to understand that I might not be so wrong afterall and she seemed like she'd be willing to try it out.

SO with all of that BS said. Her b-day is coming up in October. I think I'm going to take a dive and surprise her either a CRF100 or XR100. I want to know what the diff are in these bikes? Is the XR just the "old" version of the crf? I havnt compared the specs but they dont look to be that diff except for the cosmetic stuff.

ls1cameric

Feb 23, 2006
Or maybe I should ask, What other bikes are comparable to the XR100? Like the klx100, ttr100 ect...

I'm wanting to find the best bang for the buck.

highmileage

Jun 17, 2004
The CRF100 and XR100 are same/equal basically. Updated a little (like BNG) every year, but physically the same bike.

I personally suggest one of a couple of bikes that is a bit different and has something better IMHO for a beginner and a wife that makes it more enjoyable for both of you (E-Start).

Seriously consider a left over 06' CRF150 (03-05 not e -start) or TTR125L.

ls1cameric

Feb 23, 2006
yeah the electric start would be a good thing to have. If I can find something like that in my price range that would be ideal.

mtk

Jun 9, 2004
A TTR125 is also an excellent choice. But an old XR100, which is the same as the CRF100, is also a good choice.

But if you can swing it, I'd also highly recommend you get a bike with e-start, even if it means you have to buy a newer model and spend a bit more money. The reason is this: the future-wife isn't too enthusiastic about the whole idea, so a prolonged bout of kicking could be enough to make her bag the whole idea. The e-button takes care of that little problem.

Also make sure that she can get both feet flat on the ground as that goes a long way to making a newbie confident on the bike and in this, confidence is everything. Buying a bike she'll "grow into" (either literally or in skill level) is a BIG mistake as it she may get turned off of riding before she gets that far. Get her a good learner bike and just accept the fact that you might have to sell it in six months and upgrade her machinery sooner than you'd like.

Having to spend a little more money on bikes is a lot better, in the long run, than skimping now and turning her off on riding completely.

As for the whole ATV thing, the best one to turn her off on those is to borrow one and go riding on some tight single-track or off-camber hillsides. Or get it stuck in a 20' mudhole. ;)

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
I think the 100 is a little small for any adult (unless used as a pitbike). You should have her try on the KLX, CRF, and TTR 125s for size. They are a little heavier, but are still very mellow.

bikesnob

Jul 5, 2006
The Yamaha 125 TTR LE is a great bike, It should run for ever with little maintanence. The big plus is it has a electric start, Just push the button and go!!!!!!!!!!!! :cool:

ls1cameric

Feb 23, 2006
FruDaddy said:
I think the 100 is a little small for any adult (unless used as a pitbike). You should have her try on the KLX, CRF, and TTR 125s for size. They are a little heavier, but are still very mellow.
I think I'm going to check into the ttr125. The xr100 would be a great bike to start her out on but it is a little small considering she's 5'8".

ls1cameric

Feb 23, 2006
bikesnob said:
The Yamaha 125 TTR LE is a great bike, It should run for ever with little maintanence. The big plus is it has a electric start, Just push the button and go!!!!!!!!!!!! :cool:

Is the ttr125 a maunual or auto clutch? I rode a 90 the other day and it was fully auto.

Last edited:
Top Bottom