I'm scared, tell me what's gonna happen

XREnduroKid

Jan 10, 2001
I have a 2001 XR250 but am getting rid of it this summer or fall for a new KTM 250 E/XC. The guy at the dealer said i would more easily adjust to this than the 200 since the 250 will have more bottom end, sounds good to me. But the bike has 26 more horse than my bike with a pipe and filter. KTM has some new deal that with the 250 purchase i get a set of free tires. I would rather have a discount on the $6100 bike. Anyone know of a cheaper 250 E/XC in the midwest? i'm in nebraska. ANYWAYS, before i dump 3k into it, am i gonna just love this bike? I hope so, by the way i've never ridden a 2-smoke. A friend is taking me out to ride his CR125 this weekend, to kind of compare. What should i try and do? what's going on? Should i spend this much? I don't really have the money to just blow. All advice and opinions welcome, thanks

trewent

~SPONSOR~
May 26, 2000
You will never regret getting a 400 exc, if you must have a 2 stroke the 200 exc is the next best thing. :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

cphillips

Feb 25, 2001
Besides being a 2-stroke, that is where the similarities stop between the 250 exc and the CR125. IMO dont use that comparison for buying the 250 exc. I ride a 1999 250 exc...it is an awesome bike and would recommend it to anyone unless you plan to ride very much MX. The bike has smooth power, but dont let that fool you...it has alot of it.

XREnduroKid

Jan 10, 2001
I know i know

all i hear is how good the 200 e/xc is and it IS a hell of a lot cheaper, but i want the low end power of a 250 like my XR, so that i don't have to clutch and rev the crap out of it too ride. And i'm not scared about the bike thing, i put that so lots of people would open the post and read it atleast. anyways, all you guys with the 250's? do you like them? will they last? Thanks

ktmboy

~SPONSOR~
Apr 1, 2001
If this helps; I ride a 360EXC, (lots of power), And I got the opportunity to ride the 200, and was very impressed. I thought I wouldn't like it coming off of mine, but the gear spacing is so perfect that it has power everywhere, and is almost like a 250.

Reon

Apr 11, 2000
XREnduroKid, the 200 has a lot of torque for a small bore 2st. You cannot compare it to a 125 as they are very different. Try and ride a 200 & 250 first before you buy anything. You will be amzed at that little 200s lugging ability.

Just my .02c worth...

IDkTm

Jul 12, 2000
Comparing it with a CR 125 is kinda hard. I had a 96 CR 125 and hated it. I was young and stupid and thought I was a better rider than I was. I swore off 2 strokes after that bike. Then I rode a friends 99 250 exc and fell in love with it. I feel really comfortable on the bike and I made the same switch you did from a XR 250. My brother has a 2001 CR 125 and I'm not all that great at riding it, but I can ride my EXC with no problem. The amount of low end the bikes have is totally different. The bike should last you for as long as you need it to with proper matinence. If you're also thinking about the 200 I'd suggest riding both bikes first and deciding which is best for your riding.

trewent

~SPONSOR~
May 26, 2000
IDktm is right, riding is the best, if you can. I've been throught three 250's including a '97 KTM 250 EXC in the last 5 years. Every time I think about a 250 and buy one I regret it. The 200 is like a 7/8 250, very good bottom, but 2 stokes need revs to have torque, 4 strokes have torque much lower and that is why they are easier to ride and ride faster longer. An old guy like me just gets plain wore out from riding a 250 2 stroke, despite working out a couple times a week between rides. I wish I could ride a 250 2 stroke fast, but chewing gum and walking have always been a problem also. You will simply be amazed at the bottom end of the 400 4 strokes, especially coming from an XR250, (that's what my son rides) I spoke with my KTM dealer a few days ago and they had a 400 exc in stock as well as some 250/300's. e-mail me if you would like the name and number.

ktmboy

~SPONSOR~
Apr 1, 2001
Comparing a 250 2-stroke and a 400 4-stroke is un-fair! Sure, horsepower-wise they are very comparable, but ANY larger bore bike is going to have more torque.
My KTM360 has every bit as much torque as my old XR500 did, (probably more!), and makes more horsepower, faster.The only validity I see in your point is that someone who is looking for strictly a trail bike, not a dedicated race bike (such as a 250 for racing in a 250 only class) may be better off with a mid-bore thumper. I'm sure this was the point you were trying to make, and just wanted to clarify that.:D

XREnduroKid

Jan 10, 2001
The only thing that's keeping me from the 400 e/xc is the Mt. Everest high price and the heavy weight. I ONLY WEIGH 168 WITH GEAR. It does have the button and that would be nice but that's alot of weight.
How do you guys get out and ride these bikes before you buy? I belong to a place called Timber Ridge in Iowa with 95 families belonging, and the place is 4000 acres. I never see anyone except the occasionaly KDX flying past on a different trail. Thanks

Layton

~SPONSOR~
Aug 2, 2000
XREndurokid,

I don't know who your dealer is in Omaha but many of the guys that race enduros and hare scramble from that area actually buy their bikes from Funmart Cycle in Moline, Illinois. You might give Tim a call and see what they can do for you. By the way, those free tires that come with the bike are much better than the stock tires for conditions in your area.

I see that you are a member of Timber Ridge. You should attend the AMA hare scrambles that is coming up there in a couple of weeks. Even if you don't ride it would be a good experence to see just how fast some of those riders are. :) As a plus, you could talk to the riders about their KTM opinions, etc.

Trewent,
Old guys get worn out from riding 250 2-strokes????:eek: I'm 54 and I ride a KTM 200 and love it because it is light, torquey, fast and just plain fun to ride. I know a whole bunch of other "old guys" that ride the same bike and feel the same way about it.

firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
Go Orange!

I just made the same switch. I had an XR 200 and went to an EXC 200. The KTM is so wonderful that I cannot even begin to describe it--it is a world apart from the XR. The 200 has power everywhere and you don’t have to use the clutch a lot and it lugs down really well. Now don’t get me wrong, you do have to use the clutch more than you would on the XR so that’s a skill you will learn. It’s not an easy transition to make but it is worth the frustration. I wasn’t a great rider to begin with and my first attempt at a hare scramble aboard the KTM showed me exactly how much I needed to work on my riding skills. But since then I’ve made progress by leaps and bounds and already feel that I’m getting faster every day, both on the mx track and on the trails. I still don’t have the control to ride the really tight stuff but I’m getting there. 2-strokes aren’t beginner bikes and they aren’t lazy person bikes. Despite the trail bike image with headlights and kickstand, this is an enduro race machine right out of the box.

I would highly recommend the KTM. 200 if you can find one, 250 if you can’t, though having ridden both I’d recommend the 200. The 250 has a lot more bottom end but it’s deceiving. It starts pulling immediately off idle and you have a tendency to forget that and wait for it to hit powerband. It will pull your arms out before you ever get on the pipe. It has tons of torque and can get unruly if you’re not used to it.

So find a 200, and learn to use the clutch a little more than you have been, and remember to stand up because KTM seats will bruise your behind unlike soft XR seats! Have fun!

justql

Sponsoring Member<BR>Club Moderator
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 23, 2000
I recently rode a 2000 XR 250, 100% stock. I recently bought a stock Gas Gas EC 250. The Gas Gas's bottom end is fine. It'll lug up any rock hill I try. It will also pop the front end up and over any log I come to with just a twist of the throttle. I can't speak about the 200 vs 250 comparison but the low end of a two stroke 250 enduro is fine compared to the XR. What you gain on top end and in handing is great.:)

XREnduroKid

Jan 10, 2001
Thanks guys all this information is just GREAT. Although it is making me think more and more. I just got back from riding 48 miles of trails this morning over in Iowa and saw many guys on 2-strokes. I was wondering, DO YOU HAVE TO EITHER BE ON OR OFF THE GAS? All i hear when riding is gas....gas....gas..gas.ggggaaasssss. On my XR i gas..gas...gasssssssssssssssssss...gassssssssss? Is it hard on a 2-stroke to have more even throttle control? Do these guys riding the 2-smokes just like to hear the pipes? I'm lost, Thanks

ktmboy

~SPONSOR~
Apr 1, 2001
On a 2-smoker you don't have the motor braking- they'll coast forever, so they only need an occasional 'tap' of the throttle to maintain speed. It's really quite simple once you get the hang of it.I find it more fun, because if you tap it hard, the back end breaks loose very easily.:D

XREnduroKid

Jan 10, 2001
ktmboy... which bike do you ride? This 250 2-stroke stuff is sounding better and better. Now, my KTM dealer says that 200 has no where near the bottom of the 250 but everyone on here says it has good bottom. I'm just getting confused by the minute. Also, anyone with a 250 e/xc, or similar, how often do you have to change the top end, plugs, coolant, all the main maintanence? Because on my XR i rarely do anything besides the oil and air, actually i don't do anything.

ktmboy

~SPONSOR~
Apr 1, 2001
I've got a '96 360 EXC, which has a larger tank,(like an XR), a wide ratio transmission,(like an XR), a heavier flywheel, (like an XR), but has about 10 more H.P., and weighs 50 lbs. less.
Once you get used to the differences, you'll find any of the KTM EXC models are easier to ride than your XR. More power, lighter weight, better suspension, and lots of bottom end, but with a rippin', top end that you'll never get with the 4-stroke.
I've had both, and I don't regret switching to the KTM 2-stroke one bit.
( By the way, don't even consider the 360/380 until you get some time on a 250. I went from a built 500 4str. to the 360, and it took me a couple of months to get used to the 'hit!':p

XREnduroKid

Jan 10, 2001
Is the 250 E/xc gonna have a hit? The owner/manager guy at the dealer said that all or most of the power is at the bottom of the power range and that it will tend to go more flat on top compared to the small liter bikes. So will it still hit hard or be a little more smooth like the XR? YOU GUYS ARE THE MOST HELPFUL AND FUN GUYS TO CHAT WITH THANKS!!!!

ktmboy

~SPONSOR~
Apr 1, 2001
All two strokes have a hit, compared to a four stroke, but the EXCs' are designed for woods riding, so the hit is very mellow, ( almost undecernable ) compared to an MX 2-stroker. I think you'll find the 250EXC won't be that hard to adjust to. Like firecracker said, you'll just have to learn a little clutch technique. ( Just a little practice!):D

KaTMandoo

May 16, 2001
As far as the hit goes.............yes, it will hit hard(the 250 anyways, never ridden a 200). I ride a 99 300 MXC which is almost the same as the EXC and the hit is DEFINITELY there, but after riding a few times on it, its not that "scary". You get used to when its gonna hit by the sound of the engine and how much gas you apply. Im not a very experienced rider but I do know that the 250 will definitely knock your socks off IF your not ready and your being "lazy". Either way you go you'll love it. The KTM's are excellent bikes!

BTW I dont know your dealer but considering that the 250 costs more, maybe he is trying to sway you to it becuase of the higher price tag :think .....

Just my 2 cents
KaTMandoo

XREnduroKid

Jan 10, 2001
we are really going back and forth here aren't we? lol. All i have to do now is find a 250 e/xc at a decent price somewhere. Which is hard to do. And, how often do you have to change the top end? Is the work on the bike or maintenence expensive? Thanks

ktmboy

~SPONSOR~
Apr 1, 2001
The dealer could be looking out for your best interest, as it will take longer to outgrow the 250. Most people are more than happy with 250s, so it may be all the bike you'll ever want.

XREnduroKid

Jan 10, 2001
That's what i'm hoping this bike will be, my last until it falls apart. i wanted my XR250 to be that, and it seemed like it would be after my XR200 but i soon out grew it in only a few hundred miles. I'm hoping to have this bike the next 6-9 years or so. I mean a long time. Where do you ride at ktmboy?

firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
I got a chance to ride a 97 360 MXC this weekend. OMG, what a difference. I like mine much better! I didn't have to try to start it, he started it for me. I never even really got on the pipe much but it still felt like it was going to pull my arms out!

When the dealer said the 200 doesn't have the bottom end that the 250 does, that's not saying the 200 doesn't have any. That just means the 250 has more. The 250 doesn't have that sudden, lightswitch power of the smaller bikes. Mine doesn't act like a 125 but it still has a noticeable "hit" to it--which I like. I am learning to be smooth and getting better and better at it. I burned 4 tanks of gas this weekend and put in some serious seat time (my seat is feeling it, too! KTMs do not have a soft seat like XRs do!)

The key to 2-stroke riding is being smooth. If you learn to control the throttle like you never had to on the XR, you'll be fine. That's why clutch use is so important. Let's say you're going up a steep hill; you have to stay on the gas to keep the RPMs up but the front end is trying to come off the ground. So you slip the clutch a little--you take some of the power away from the rear tire but not much, and you don't drop the revs any. Or you're coming into a corner fast, and since 2-strokes don't have the engine braking that 4-strokes do, you hit the rear brake. And the engine starts to stall. So you grab the clutch to keep running and hit the brakes hard enough to slow down. XRs don't require techniques like that.

Good luck finding one! Whichever you buy, once you get used to all the differences you'll be happy with a KTM. It's all a matter of acclimatization.

Top Bottom