Is Ricky better on a 250 2t in supercross?

Tiger

~SPONSOR~
Aug 21, 2000
Ricky's style HAD been to hang it out. That's definitely better suited to a lighter 2-Stroke. Supercross isn't hanging it out though. Not lately anyway. You'll damn die trying on it. :(

That said RC would seem more comfy on a 2-stroke with an empty track. Problem is the track isn't empty. ;)

OldassKDX

Nov 9, 2000
Considering that the similarities between the 250 and 450 frame end pretty much at being built with aluminum, and that Reed seemed to like his 2004 bike, I don't think its odd to think that Reed would like one (based on the frame) and not the other. But I seriously doubt that he would be faster on ANY 250 currently made, regardless of frame material than his current 450. But I do think its a little more boring to watch the riders this year on 450's.

hellbertos

Feb 17, 2004
Boring is a little strong, but I can relate to ya OAK. Having been around this sport a long time and watched many supercrosses/motocrosses, the difference in the racing/riding is pretty apparent to me. Anaheim was a pretty good race for the first few laps (CBS coverage wasn't all that good in my opinion, but, at the very least, there were decent announcers...). Still, seems ovbivious the difference in the general racing dynamic w/ the predominant 4T field.

Interestingly, the geniuses at the AMA seem to feel the same way. Saw this on cyclenews.com this AM...

http://www.cyclenews.com/ShowStory.asp?HeadlineID=8654

Might be smart to change the tracks up since they've mandated 4T's for the future.

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
A1 was a pretty wicked track ....

JST122

Dec 29, 2005
A1 definitely was a wicked track, very technical and involved for a first round. I am interested to see what Pheonix is like, that track has in the past been relatively easy and fast and has tended to level the playing field a little more. We'll see tonight, or tomorrow on TV.

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
Suzuki wants to sell bikes and Roger DeCoster wants to wants to win races. Since Suzuki has both 2T and 4T bikes, I'm sure RC is free to ride whatever he wants. He has said it many times in the past, he prefers the 4T.

Who knows, if his loosing streak (3 races is hardly a streak) continues, he may choose to give the 2T a try. If he begins to win races on a 2T, both Suzuki and Roger (not to mention RC) will be very happy.

robwbright

Apr 8, 2005
CaptainObvious said:
Suzuki wants to sell bikes and Roger DeCoster wants to wants to win races. Since Suzuki has both 2T and 4T bikes, I'm sure RC is free to ride whatever he wants. He has said it many times in the past, he prefers the 4T.

Who knows, if his loosing streak (3 races is hardly a streak) continues, he may choose to give the 2T a try. If he begins to win races on a 2T, both Suzuki and Roger (not to mention RC) will be very happy.

What's it mean if he continues to lose on the 4T and doesn't switch to the 2T?

JST122

Dec 29, 2005
robwbright said:
What's it mean if he continues to lose on the 4T and doesn't switch to the 2T?

It means the guys he is losing to are faster. Thats it. Last year Stewart was fastest, no doubt about it, his problem was that he rode way over his head and crashed as a result. Without riding over his head he and Ricky are very close in speed, lap times at A1 were nearly identicle.

The most consistent guy wins the championship not necessarily the fastest.

ellandoh

dismount art student
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 29, 2004
if he switches camps and goes at it with a 2t and starts winning, one of my prayers would have been answered :coocoo: but i doubt that is very high on the big guys list.........so im gonna start wishing in one hand and you know what in the other, we'll see which one fills up first :|

rodH

Aug 17, 2005
ellandoh said:
if he switches camps and goes at it with a 2t and starts winning, one of my prayers would have been answered :coocoo: but i doubt that is very high on the big guys list.........so im gonna start wishing in one hand and you know what in the other, we'll see which one fills up first :|

Well grandpa Jeramy got 4th on a 250 and t sure seems like the 2t's were getting great hole shots in all the heats, interesting. If Jeramy got 4th, you'd have to think one of the top guys wouldn't be slowed down on a 250.

ellandoh

dismount art student
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 29, 2004
that is my thought , RC really loves a good start, he seems more troubled by traffic than the other top guys, if he did get on the 2 it would not hurt him at all in SX only of course............thumpers rule the nationals

joshp

May 2, 2005
2strokesrule said:
motocross racers are better on 450s because there more powerful than 250s because there twice the engine size. so its obvious all the racers are going to pick the more powerful bike if they actually want to win.

Along with the fact that the four strokes have a cam you can play with.

pace

Nov 21, 2003
HOT C said:
It's better you start a thread and explain why you think Ricky can ride a 2 stroke and beat Fonseca, Byrne, Larocco, Tedesco and Reed all on 4strokes, You can't fix the truth. I know you can challenge it though..

What a difference a year makes, huh? I seem to recall Bubba taking a whole bunch of **** for stating that the two-stroke was putting him at a significant disadvantage last outdoor season. But now you're telling me that Ricky wouldn't be able to hang with some of the 'also rans' (forgetting Reed) if he were piloting a 2T indoors..!

Don't get me wrong - I have little doubt that the four-stroke is now a superior machine. But enough to make up the skill deficit that Fonseca or Byrne give up to RC?

Not if MC's results this weekend are any indication..

JST122

Dec 29, 2005
I have said it before and I will say it again, it doesnt matter what Carmichael, Reed, or Stewart ride - 2T or 4T the top 3 would not be any different, those three have speed far superior to the rest of the field regardless of which bike they are on. All that matters is that they are all on the same equipment so no one has an excuse either way.

HOT C

Dec 25, 2005
JST122 said:
I have said it before and I will say it again, it doesnt matter what Carmichael, Reed, or Stewart ride - 2T or 4T the top 3 would not be any different, those three have speed far superior to the rest of the field regardless of which bike they are on. All that matters is that they are all on the same equipment so no one has an excuse either way.
Only excuse would be bad starts or crash. After phoenix performance though i think MC is now debating in his head a full time come back on a 4T to teach these youngsters a lesson that age a'in't non but a number.

Last edited:

J1mMy

May 2, 2005
It's about marketing fullstop. How would it look if js rid the kx250 over the the brand new kx450f the same for chad reed and rc.The rider's probly don't even have a choice, the big brands don't actually care about the racing just about marketing new products,getting sales and having their new bike win so they can get sales.

Ryone

Jun 18, 2004
I think:

The rider's ride the bike on which they test all week/off season (with maybe a little push from the factories). After riding the thumper in testing and outdoors all season, they're more comfortable and better adapted when it comes SX time. Also, as said plenty of times before, the thumper is advantageous because it has more power, it's more rider-friendly, and can drop down to (or close to) the AMA weight limit now. As much as I hate it, the thumper is the bike to ride because of out-dated AMA rules. I personally think that it makes the racing look easier, but how can anyone complain about who's riding what especially with the way this season is going so far?

Ryan

JMD

Jul 11, 2001
It's the new Open Class all over again. Those 450s are putting out 60 horsepower, but it's more controllable power than a big-bore two-stroke has. The Lites class has now become the 250 class, with the 250 thumpers putting out almost as much power as the old 250 two-strokes. So what has really happened is that the 125 Class has been abolished, and the old Open Class is back.

jimyz

Nov 9, 2000
Agreed, the riding definately looks easier. It seems to me that the flickability of two stroke riders whipping and making the bike seem as if rider imput mattered versus with the four strokes, it seems almost slot car type racing. Kind of boring in my take-

nephron

Dr. Feel Good
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 15, 2001
It's the new Open Class all over again.

You can't compare the two. The 4 stroke is a superior motor for supercross, and possibly all things other than desert (certainly Supermoto, maybe MX?). Case in point: Jeff Ward rode an AF at an outdoor MX a year or two back and didn't like it, preferring the 4 instead. He said something derogatory about it, surprisingly (and disappointingly to me).

Personally, my KX500 has way too much damn power for even big MX tracks and I get armpump in 5 minutes riding them. I prefer to use it where it's at its best--scrambles, dunes, etc. It will unequivocally eat a 450F alive under those circumstances.

wardy

2005 Lori Nyland Award Winner
Nov 12, 1999
"Wardy" talked bad about our A/Fs? thats not cool, heck he would have had the correct "weight" to ride the 500. :P
Many others in his professional circles loved the bike, MC, the rock, and others if I recall. Not that it was an "official" announcement but hell today everyone seems to love the thumpers.
That KX 500 was one of the most "decieving" bikes I ever rode, it really didn't seem like you were going fast til you had to stop!

wardy

Bringing back the "old OPEN class" isn't such a bad thing, now lets let 500cc a/f's run in there and see who and how that goes.!! :aj:

Top Bottom