Is the GasGas worth $800 more than the KTM?

Lemming

Looking for single women!
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 19, 2000
The GG will save you money over the KTM when you need replacement parts. So far, the only things that I've had to replace since I got my bike 5 months ago are a front fender ($19), and one radiator shroud ($17.50).

Anyone know the price of these for a KTM? Yesterday I rode with a guy on a brand new MXC250 (2nd ride) and he managed to bust his right radiator shroud off. I'm guessing it will cost him more than $17.5.

------------------
Tim, '99EC200, '01TXT200, '00KLX300R (For sale)

Strick

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 8, 1999
Lawman NV -

There is a '99 KTM 300MXC in the local paper for $4300, with the original tires! What are you waiting for!!!

------------------
Strick '99 KTM 300mxc, AMA & BRC member

EK

Dec 3, 2000
LawManNv

I own an '01 GasGas 300XC. It has incredible power, handling, comfort and suspension. It has a few fit and finish issues due to the hand built nature, but they are minor.

Do NOT buy any machine before you ride it as it may not be the right machine for you. Ride both of them, preferably under the same conditions. After you have ridden them, then the cost question will sort itself out.

Eric K
'01 300XC

MikeS

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 12, 2000
Originally posted by EK:
LawManNv

Do NOT buy any machine before you ride it as it may not be the right machine for you. Ride both of them, preferably under the same conditions. After you have ridden them, then the cost question will sort itself out.

Eric K
'01 300XC

I agree. Ride before you comment. I like my orange ride and it fits me. I may consider the gas gas if there was a closer dealer. They do fit shorter riders better.

I got to see Rich Lafferty's up close and personal this weekend. His comments were, the bike fits me better than the ktm and it feels like a jap bike (ergos,turning wise) but with all the good Euro stuff....

For now I need to wear out my KTM ....

Mike S

Strick

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 8, 1999
Mike S. - Have I been in a cave for a while or what. Lafferty on a GAS GAS??

As for ergos KTM can be made very versatile based on your riding style. I don't know that a Gas Gas can. Examples: short and tall seat foam, different steering geometry provided by lower triple clamp, and simply changing tire profiles.

A standard KTM fits me fine, at 6'00" and 195lbs. However, I have friend at 5'7" that fit fine on KTMs also, with minor changes.

------------------

KDXfile

~SPONSOR~
Dec 6, 1999
Strick,
MikeS is talking about Richard Lafferty being on the GasGas; Mike Lafferty is still on the KTM.

------------------
Mark
GasGas EC200
KTM 125 Enduro

MikeS

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 12, 2000
Strick

Sorry for heart attack.

I was impressed with what Rich had to say about the Gas Gas along with other Gas Gas owners we were with.(out numbered by orange riders 5:1 though)

Mike L still prefers the KTM, He runs some strange setup tricks but who wants to challenge "the man" this is per R L.
Jack Senior is still running orange too.

Mike S

weimedog

~SPONSOR~
Damn Yankees
Nov 21, 2000
Sometimes its not the deal its what pulls at your heart strings. Face it, motorcycles doesn't earn money for most of us...its an expensive hobby. Trying to pick a bike over a few hundered bucks misses the point. Buy what you like. Seems like those Gas - Gas guys love those bikes. Must be a reason. Might partly be they are independent minded enough to break from the "lemmings" and buy what they want.

I bought a VOR cuase it felt right. It hasn't disappointed me. If I just bought based on the "lemming" mind set I would have spent just as much on a new Yamaha (In this area dealer are gouging) and KNOWN I had a crappy deal. I also would have missed the opportunity to ride what is becoming one of the most enjoyable motorcycleing experiences I have had in over 25 years of riding and racing.

------------------
2001 VOR503 V-Cross
1982 husqvarna XC430
1974 Bultaco Frontera 360
6 Kids, Four Ride, 3 race. (cr125, yz80, 2 KX125's)
Case 780, INT 1066, Ford LTL9000...and a Percheron

justql

Sponsoring Member<BR>Club Moderator
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 23, 2000
What are the major changes from a 2000 to 2001 XC??? How much difference is there in an XC vs. EC???

Strick

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 8, 1999
Originally posted by weimedog:
Might partly be they are independent minded enough to break from the "lemmings" and buy what they want.

I remember when KTM riders could be put in this category.

------------------

Strick

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 8, 1999
Yes, and it's great!! 2 riders in the top ten in the 125 East!

125 East Point Standings:

1. Nate Ramsey - 67
2. Mike Brown - 60
3. Travis Pastrana - 57
4. Nick Wey - 56
5. Brock Sellards - 51*
6. Travis Elliot - 39
7. Kelly Smith - 38*
8. Matt Walker - 34
9. Tallon Vohland - 30
10. Ben Riddle - 26

Mudshark

Jul 26, 2000
To be honest, if Gas Gas didn't exist, I would be a KTM guy. I think both bikes are really good and it's really personal taste that should provide your decision for your cash out-lay. KTM has the lineage that is unmatched by anyone except maybe Husky(Swedish) in off-road bikes. My Gas Gas is like a dream in the woods and I'm glad I have one. Damn, it makes me want to go ride just talking about this stuff. Two more weeks with broken knee and a couple weeks to be able to throw leg over bike and, like I said, my Gas Gas is like a dream (for now).

Lemming

Looking for single women!
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 19, 2000
"Must be a reason. Might partly be they are independent minded enough to break from the "lemmings" and buy what they want.
I bought a VOR cuase it felt right. It hasn't disappointed me. If I just bought based on the "lemming" mind set I would have spent just as much on a new Yamaha"

Hey Dog,

Are you implying that I need to change my name to Non-Conformist?

------------------
Tim, '99EC200, '01TXT200, '00KLX300R (For sale)

GlennP

Jun 6, 2000
I was in Rich Lafferty's school on Saturday also. He commented to me how shocked the other AA riders were when they rode his XC250, they couldn't believe how good it worked. His "factory" bike is a stock '01 XC250 with personal preference items changed. Motor is box stock. Some of the more vocal orange guys here should ride one before forming such biased opinions.

jusql,

The '01s have a side access airbox, programmable ignition (by dealer), improved kickstand, clear coat plastic, tapered roller main bearings (I'm told for eaiser teardown), and shoulderless wheels. If you can get a '00 at a good price do it.

Glenn
'00 GasGas XC250

justql

Sponsoring Member<BR>Club Moderator
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 23, 2000
Glenn,
$5000 for xc250, new. Also either 1000 mile trip oneway or shipping. Good Price???

LawManNv

Sponsoring Member
Feb 10, 2000
Ok, I am going to get the GasGas. The dealer said he was going to get a XC250 with the EC motor. Because I ride a lot in the desert, should I try to get the XC motor? The model I rode had the EC motor and I won't be able to ride a XC before he gets the bike. How much power difference is there?

------------------
'00 KDX200

weimedog

~SPONSOR~
Damn Yankees
Nov 21, 2000
Quote "Hey Dog,

Are you implying that I need to change my name to Non-Conformist?"

To Mr. Lemming.

I'm not suggesting you change it at all.....just go buy a Yamaha and all would be complete!

Actually I think thats a great name. Obviously you aren't the rodent variety of lemmings.

Mr. Dog

------------------
2001 VOR503 V-Cross
1982 husqvarna XC430
1974 Bultaco Frontera 360
6 Kids, Four Ride, 3 race. (cr125, yz80, 2 KX125's)
Case 780, INT 1066, Ford LTL9000...and a Percheron

GlennP

Jun 6, 2000
justql,

Thats a great price, do it. Shipping should be about $150. You will have plenty $$ left for accessories. I paid $6100 last spring.

LawManNv,

The XCs hit harder and rev quicker due mainly from a different ignition map and lighter flywheel. For open trails and desert the XC should be perfect. Some guys here in the east prefer the XC power as well, particularly in the sand runs. Bolt on flywheel weights are available if you feel the need. There are no factory ECs for the US market in '01. You simply order an XC with EC spec ignition, head, and flywheel weight.

Glenn
'00 GasGas XC250

MR.WR

Apr 7, 2000
LawManNv,

Congrads on the new bike
cool.gif

You have seen the light
biggrin.gif

Good luck!
We'll have to link up in the spring and head up to Elkins Flat

------------------
District 36 Member
AMA Member
99 GasGas EC200

Offroadr

Ready to bang some trees!
Jan 4, 2000
Originally posted by Strick:
Are you Gas Gas riders on Commission or what??

LOL Its called being in love....

I think its very similar to the Harley dedication...I have one of those as well
(don't start a Harley flame!)

Top Bottom