Is the GasGas worth $800 more than the KTM?

380EXCman

Sponsoring Member
Sep 15, 1999
You GG guys crack me up....You have no idea what love for a bike is..... After I took the Citrus Rocket for its first ride I promptly went home, bought clean sheets for the bed and a new center stand......The bike got the sheets and the wife got the center stand..........KTM's are not that mainstream..... I work for a large Insulation Distributer and We could easily aquire KTM...Yet Honda or Yamaha could by us up take all our glass for silencer packing and send us walking with pink slips a 100 times over.....So dont go getting on your I ride a Gas Gas so Im different High horse....(Get a CANNONDALE if you want that) GAS GAS's are nice bikes and all but dollar for dollar you still cant beat the Orange Crush.... And whats with all this smooth power, linear, electric, sissy stuff anyway.....I like a bike with some hit. When I grab a hand full of throttle and whack it open I wanna feel it......Oh yeah.....Whoo..Hooo... Lets get it on..........

------------------
More to follow im sure.....

KDXfile

~SPONSOR~
Dec 6, 1999
I guess you haven't ridden one.
The bike hits from when you crack the throttle to top speed. Not just in the middle or on top or in between somewhere when you least expect. It's one big linear hit.
smile.gif

------------------
Mark
GasGas EC200
KTM 125 Enduro

EK

Dec 3, 2000
Originally posted by kalitude:
I really like riding a 4 stroke so much better than the 2 strokes... I guess we will just have to see which one comes out first!
[This message has been edited by kalitude (edited 03-08-2001).]

kalitude,

I have a WR400F and a GasGas 300XC. The power, handling and suspension on the 300XC is much better, whether in the greasy muddy tight trials or in the sand. Try a GasGas two stroke and you may not be so anxious to ride a 4 stroke again.

Eric K
'01 GasGas 300XC

Scrappy Dog

Oct 20, 2000
I've ridden MXC's and EXC's(200).They're both nice ,I prefer my EC250(GG). There's more on the menu for those who bleed ORANGE.Try something different for a change you may like it!

Shaw520

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 14, 2000
Oh,...now I get it,..Gas Gas, its like...Pizza Pizza, you get the second one for 1/2 price!
So if I buy two GasGas's,....will I get four bikes?
eek.gif

[This message has been edited by Shaw520 (edited 03-08-2001).]

Offroadr

Ready to bang some trees!
Jan 4, 2000
Originally posted by 380EXCman:
When I grab a hand full of throttle and whack it open I wanna feel it......Oh yeah.....Whoo..Hooo... Lets get it on..........

Bring it on big boy
wink.gif
That 'smooth tractor power' worked pretty well in the MX race at the spodefest. If you don't remember I'll refesh your memory this year
smile.gif

BTW the side panels are kawi as well. No Suzuki stuff.

Least we don't have a weird front fender!
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Lemming

Looking for single women!
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 19, 2000
Kali,

GG's are like ruffles, you can't stop at one. Yep, I went out an bought a GG Trials bike ('01TXT200) to round out the garage and now I have two yellow 200's. If you have a desire to try a trials bike you should, they are an absolute hoot. I never thought 1st gear could be so fun
redface.gif

-----------
I won't bad mouth a KTM, they are fine bikes. But then again, I'm not thinking of switching either
tongue.gif

------------------
Tim, '99EC200, '01TXT200, '00KLX300R (For sale)

Mudshark

Jul 26, 2000
I agree with all the other Gas Gas riders.
I don't know who named the thing but, it does the job really well in the Florida sand whoops and tight single track. My EC300 is a four stroke without valves and added weight. The thing pulls like a freight train and tracks up muddy, slimey, rock, roots and over logs without a whimper. The power is fluid but make no mistake-50hp will kick your ass if you don't pay attention!
Gas On!!!!
biggrin.gif

GlennP

Jun 6, 2000
What cracks ME up is the KTM guys participating in this thread with the strongest opinions have absolutely NO experience with a GasGas to base them on, where a large percentage of the GG riders I know of are ex KTM riders. People do use this board to research bikes. I'm sure some of the riders out west considering a new GG or KTM would rather hear objective opinions based on rider experience with both machines instead of reading this GG vs. KTM pissing contest.

Glenn
'00 GasGas XC250

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Kali, I tried a trials bike out a few weeks ago and am GOING to get one. Actually TexKDX was kind enough to prod me into giving his Montesa 315 a go and from the very first second I was hooked. It's all about balance, traction, and being percise in picking lines. I felt like a little kid again learning to ride a bike that I have 25 pounds on! It's seriously cool.
cool.gif

Now as far as the GG/Pumpkin "comparison", I'll say that I used to think I would only have KTM's until the end of time, but after seeing what is being offered by some of the even smaller bike makers I don't think that will hold true. Most of the Euro bikes are at least a cut above the rice bikes IMHO and a little ribbing one which one is better is all part of the game we all play. So as long as this doesn't get out of hand I'm enjoying reading it.
tongue.gif

------------------
I ride, therefore I crash
KTM 360EXC

Offroadr

Ready to bang some trees!
Jan 4, 2000
Originally posted by Strick:
Hey, Glenn we (KTM owners) just don't want Lawman NV making a $5000+ mistake!

Gee that's a well thought out comment.

weimedog

~SPONSOR~
Damn Yankees
Nov 21, 2000
So why the battle KTM vs. GAS GAS? This is a no risk situation. Both are good motorcycles! If you like Gas Gas Buy one, if you like KTM buy that one! Why trash a decision someone else has made? I like hearing the real life information about these bikes. Having a little symantic fun is ok but the hormone induced Gas-Gas bashing is a waste of time. This real life feed back we are getting from the Gas-Gas and KTM folks is excellent stuff. Its what makes this a great web site.

------------------
2001 VOR503 V-Cross
1982 husqvarna XC430
1974 Bultaco Frontera 360
6 Kids, Four Ride, 3 race. (cr125, yz80, 2 KX125's)
Case 780, INT 1066, Ford LTL9000...and a Percheron

LoriKTM

Super Power AssClown
Oct 4, 1999
New Mexico
Well, here's my take on it...

MR WR, remember in Reno after I took your GG for a spin? I thought it was similar to my KTM. I was wrong. I got a chance on the following Tuesday to ride my KTM again for a bit, and I was surprised at how hard that bike can hit! The GG, in comparison, has a very smooth, powerful motor. The seat height was slightly taller than the KTM. Both very good bikes. I seriously considered GG before I got the KTM, the only thing that kept me from getting one was the higher price and lack of a nearby dealer.
I think I'm with Kali on this one, though. The next company to come out with a modern, 250 4-S with electric start will get my money!

Strick

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 8, 1999
Hey Offroader - as was yours!!!

Read the prior posts. There is a '99 300MXC in the Reno paper for $4300 o.b.o., and it still has the original tires. Which means, he can probably pick it up for around $38-3900.

Even if he decides he doesn't like it he could turn right around and sell it at no loss!! Try to do that with a new Gas Gas. If doesn't like the KTM, he could then buy the Gas Gas. Give me a BREAK!!

------------------
Strick '99 KTM 300mxc, AMA & BRC member

380EXCman

Sponsoring Member
Sep 15, 1999
Now this is racing......Offroader - I remember watching you in the old slow headlight kickstand Class.
tongue.gif
And I have to admit you did pretty darn good. You were reeling in Tuner, just ran out of laps......

Now now guys dont take everything so seriously....... This is all about fun...... Nothing wrong with GAS GAS's, TM's, KTM's VOR's, Husky's or Husabergs... I know we all can agree they are way better than those cheap junky jap bikes......

------------------
More to follow im sure.....

*william*

Jul 5, 2000
Originally posted by RWR:
All I know is sometimes I pass gas and sometimes I pass Gas Gas's

Good one!

If I've taken anything from this post, it's that I will definetly check out GasGas next time I'm in the market for a bike. Hummm... I think having a KTM200 and a GasGas 300 would make a well-rounded stable... then I'd only need a 400cc 4-stroke. A Husaberg maybe? I have this feeling it'll be hard to buy a Japanese bike ever again.
eek.gif

------------------
William
KTM200EXC

[This message has been edited by *william* (edited 03-09-2001).]

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
I have this feeling it'll be hard to buy a Japanese bike ever again.

Funny thing when the Euro Forum was coming on line the beginning to the description I penned for the main page started out "Tired of rice?....." at least the rest of it stayed in tact.
redface.gif

------------------
I ride, therefore I crash
KTM 360EXC

LawManNv

Sponsoring Member
Feb 10, 2000
This post has really taken off! I really appreciate all of the opinions you guys and girls have offered. It was really tough deciding which bike I like better. Unfortunately, I didn't get to ride a KTM 250/300, I just sat on them at the dealer. I did ride a 360 though which was a little too much for trail use ( I am used to KDX!). I read somewhere that GasGas designed their frames after Kawasakis. Maybe that is why it felt more comfortable than the KTM. The GasGas EC250 I rode reminded me of my KDX with more power, a much wider spread of power, much better suspension, and way faster turning. No matter how low I let the rpm's go I could whack the throttle and the bike took off.

Strick, thanks for looking out for me, I don't want to make a $6000 mistake. I don't think either the GasGas or the KTM would be a mistake though, they are both awesome machines. I'll have to hook up with you guys some time to ride.

LawManNv

PS. I think GasGas is kind of a cool name. As for Ford vs Chevy, Toyota stomps them both!

------------------
'00 KDX200

[This message has been edited by LawManNv (edited 03-09-2001).]

Timr

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 26, 1999
'Phart,

You still have the Gas Gas? Are things going ok for you? Have you ridden any lately? Are you going to races this year?

I'm not trying to pry or anything. I hope things are going well for you.

------------------
Tim Roberts
99 KDX 200
http://sera.dirtrider.net

kazarw

Feb 23, 2000
<h1> WHO CARES !!!!!! </h1>

<h1> Put the padlock on this FORUM!!!</h1>

<h1>

mad.gif

------------------
01 520EXC
88 CR500

Rocky Rockchucker says: "My sticks and stones (roost) will break your bones, AND you'll never pass me..."

Top Bottom