Papakeith

COTT Champ Emeritus
Damn Yankees
Aug 31, 2000
RI
I've gotten pretty good at crashing.

In the next week or two, I should be loosing the cast on my arm, and throwing my leg over my bike again.:)

My question is about the fall during and after the crash.

Ok, this is going to sound silly, but, are there any techniques that I can practice to help me learn to fall better.:confused: If at all possible I would like to avoid crashing my way into another cast. If there is(are) any techniques out there, I'd be willing to learn them.

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
Now this is easier said than done but during the crash, try to stay loose and tuck and roll when you hit the ground. My biggest problem is I try to save it right to the end and I don’t leave myself enough time to get away from the bike. Plus I’m usually in a panic mode and very tense.

As a preemptive solution, make sure your body is a strong and flexible as possible BEFORE you go riding. Again this is easier said than done but it does help.

What I find really works the best is to ride slower or more spodely as the case may be ;)

MarksCR250

Jun 21, 2001
Also, its basic, but wear good protection on your knees and elbows and then USE THEM if possible when you hit the ground. The point being to take advantage of the armor. I'm actually starting to trust the helmet to protect me instead of freaking out about my head touching the ground. Last time I fell the helmet really did a great job, but my unprotected shoulder took a bit of a beating. My protected elbows were fine. I loooooove body armor.

bbbom

~SPONSOR~
Aug 13, 1999
Tuck and roll! If you know any volleyball players or martial arts people they can teach you the technique. Practice it both forward and backwards.

I played volleyball for so long it is an immediate response for me to just roll out of most crashes. Not always but it has saved me some serious pain more than once. It also comes in handy if you trip when just out walking. Looks much more impressive than just falling on your face!:scream:

CRGuy

Posts Too Much
Nov 14, 2000
I ride bicycle's alot. To crash I normally protect my head with my hand's and let my leg's do what they need to do. I don't tuck and roll unless I am going medium speed. I don't know why. To practice crashing ride a Bicycle and crash on that a bit. It's cheaper than breaking you Dirtbike.
CRG

Aug 6, 2000
This will fit into most situations, in snowboarding they teach how to fall by telling you to fold your arms across your chest and keep your legs loose. Your body becomes pretty solid and can take alot that way.

vetwfo'er

Dec 18, 2000
All good suggestions!

You have received some great info. As suggested, you'll need to learn how to fall and pratice that. It cannot be a thought process, it has to be a reaction. If your thinking and trying to compensate mid-flight, you'll probably hurts yourself worse.

The best way to learn without injury, would be to take Judo. I have my black belt and can tell you how well it works. At 42 I can relate to your need for reduced injury.

vetwfo'er

Papakeith

COTT Champ Emeritus
Damn Yankees
Aug 31, 2000
RI
Originally posted by RM_guy
My biggest problem is I try to save it right to the end and I don’t leave myself enough time to get away from the bike.
That's pretty high on my list of problems too. It seems that sometimes I am so intent on saving the bike that I forget to let go.

Thanks for all of the suggestions.

I am slowly becoming "protective gear man". Ounce of prevention and all. I believe that in my last crash, I could have saved a couple of cracked ribs if I had a CP(read elbow in ribs).

My poor wife is going to think I've lost what little bit of mind I have left when she sees me running and jumping off the picnic table in full gear practicing the tuck and roll move.:confused: :think

Danman

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 7, 2000
I was looking around on for some cool pics on webshots and I found on of a rider crashing in and you can see in folding in his arms and his helmet is taking a beating, but I think that there is something to that. I have seen a friend of mine endo on a bicycle and he put his hand out to break that fall and pushed his bone out of his skin. better his wrest than his face. He was not wearing a helmet. It was a quite a nasty spill. I try to remember to tuck but it does not always work. That thing about using the body armor is a good point too.

Smitty

Alowishus Devadander
Nov 10, 1999
http://www.occra.com/2001/race04/Pictures/MVC-013F.JPG

http://www.occra.com/2001/race04/Pictures/MVC-014F.JPG

Here's some good teaching aids. The first rider is demonstrating the technique of spreading the impact across his entire body including his face. Where as the second rider is trying to remain calm and cool as he ragdolls down the track.

By the way both of these are pics on the downside of a 4th gear double we had during a cross country race.

You see what happens when woods guys leave the ground with an audience!

HiG4s

~SPONSOR~
Mar 7, 2001
Originally posted by Smitty
[Here's some good teaching aids. The first rider is demonstrating the technique of spreading the impact across his entire body including his face. Where as the second rider is trying to remain calm and cool as he ragdolls down the track.

By the way both of these are pics on the downside of a 4th gear double we had during a cross country race.

You see what happens when woods guys leave the ground with an audience!

Oooooooouuuuuuch!!!!!!

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
Originally posted by RM_guy
... My biggest problem is I try to save it right to the end and I don’t leave myself enough time to get away from the bike...
Here's and example...

Edit: Sorry I couldn't get the picture to display:( :(

Last edited:

smilinicon

Feb 20, 2001
How to fall... now I have seen everything. Do you go practice it? :)

Fact: the silliest, least important posts get the most replies - never fails.

Papakeith

COTT Champ Emeritus
Damn Yankees
Aug 31, 2000
RI
least important?

If you don't think that it is important, feel free not to read the tread. Or to add your .02.

KawieKX125

~SPONSOR~
Oct 9, 2000
If I recall correctly, you broke your wrist Papa. When you fall, although it is hard you must not try to brace the fall with your wrists. You are also a big guy. Your weight on a wrist will snap it, but your weight spread across the whole chest or back will have much better results. Try to remain limp when you fall and never try to break the fall with your arms of other extremities. I learned these techniques after many hard falls on my trampoline.
The only downside to this is that I ususally end up breaking a collarbone or messing up my shulder in hard crashes. Better those that a badly broken wrist. Maybe sometime if I can get video up, I will post all of my many videos of me flipping, sliding, endoing, and just plain crashing my brains out. :confused:

BTW, avoid head first falls for obvious reasons.

Papakeith

COTT Champ Emeritus
Damn Yankees
Aug 31, 2000
RI
Originally posted by KawieKX125
If I recall correctly, you broke your wrist Papa.
Yup! The cast comes off tomorrow!
You are also a big guy.
:think 6'3" 320#. . . I guess you could say that :)
Your weight on a wrist will snap it
I learned that the hard way.:eek:

Top Bottom