JOHNOMCK

Apr 19, 2004
Im 45 a father of 3, I started seriously mxing about 6 months ago. I have a nice size piece of property and have the heavy equipment, so Ive built a track for my son and I to practice on 3-4 times a week in our back yard. As we are getting better the dirt piles are getting higher.. The two of us are getting some pretty good air and I find the greatest thing about dirt bike riding is jumping, flying through the air.. During the last 6 months I have ate it about a dozen times at least 10 of those crashes I have been able to stand up and walk away from the crash with nothing more than a bunch of dirt to brush off. I credit this to somthing my Aikido teacher taught me a long time ago.. "roll out of danger"... and it makes me wonder why more of the pro's dont practice the same technique (maybe they do) that is when your going over the handle bars rather than just stopping the fall with your face and chest and arms, tuck your head and arms an roll out the dangerous impact...I also wear one of those doughnuts around my neck to help the impact

Ive just come to realize that if I want to make up for lost time, then Im going to be eating dirt for a while and I need to survive the impacts.

john

YZ165

YZabian
May 4, 2004
There's not much reaction time when you're going as fast as those guy's do. They've got just enough time to :yikes:

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
I roll. I have even caught a bunch of flack about it. At one Ultracross, I crashed, rolled up the next jump, then realized if I rolled again I would make it over, so I did. I then realized if I rolled one more time I would get off the track before another rider came and landed on me, so I rolled again. The track workers gave me a hard time..."Why is that guy rolling around out there?"

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
High Lord Gomer said:
I roll. I have even caught a bunch of flack about it. QUOTE]

But Goober, inorder to do that don't you have to be fairly aaahh, errrr, round? :yikes: ;) :laugh: Sorry, just couldn't help myself. :rotfl:

JONOMCK. I agree but sometimes you just don't have that option. :ohmy:

Ol'89r

James

Lifetime Sponsor
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 2001
Once I hit the ground like a sack of potatoes, I doubt rolling would help any except to get out of the way. I guess if you had some good rotation going before you hit the ground, it might help.

James

Lifetime Sponsor
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 2001
JOHNOMCK said:
Gomer were you able to roll across the finsh line :nener:

He almost passed me in a turn once...while rolling on the ground. The funny part was I could see his teeth each rotation because he was grinning so big.

Shig

~SPONSOR~
Jan 15, 2004
Snowboarding and football helped me learn roll-out skills. I'm often amazed that I can get up and walk away from some crashes. With respect to pros not rolling out, I think most of them do when the situation permits. Often, though, its better to try every last effort to stay on and recover than to eject prematurely. RC is a prime example of this. If he rolled out every time he was near crashing, he'd be rolling out about three to five times per moto. Personally, I like to stay with the bike as long as possible and let it absorb the initial impact of a crash before rolling out. I'd rather wad my bike into a ball than get injured by ejecting too soon.

Reesknight

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2002
I have to agree with Shig. Sometimes preparing for and anticipating a crash can cause the crash. But by all means, roll out if possible when you do crash.

TS2DR4

Jun 7, 2001
Good discussion here, tho myself is still pretty much an ammature, still I can't agree more with the things you guy mentioned.
Maybe it was due to younger years' experience on BMX stunts and mountain biking, haven't got myself thrashed badly the passed years on dirtbikes. But a crash this Jan, and another last wkend, came and went before I even knew what hit me.
Had rolled out of trouble for years, bt nothing I could do to save the broken wrist and head concssion. :(

JOHNOMCK

Apr 19, 2004
sHIG is right, hold off until the last minute to bail, this weekend three of us going around a turn at my neighbors track, it was too short for the three of us to make it at the same time, some one was going down no matter what, of course it had to be me I was the oldest and slowest man there, but the best at crashing,, I snuck in between my buddy on the yamaha 250 and my other buddy on the inside with his big stupid thumping ktm 540 (stretched out like a ....) wham, I was going down in the prone position, and the 250 ran over my shoulder joint from behind,,,, butt... I let it flow I didn't fight it and once again rolled with it.. yea okay so my arms a little sore but its not broken because I refused to tightened up and not fight it.... roll with the punches and roll out of danger,

some one needs to write a book on how to crash before I do..:)

By the way the rain is here and so is the loam.Thank you Lord. Our track is no longer a slopping dusty sandy mess,

Anyone racing at Gorman 1st weekend in November?

johnomck :yeehaw: :eek:

Top Bottom