bofforider

May 27, 2001
I'm fairly new to riding and have done quite a bit of reading on the internet about how to control your position while in midair. While I haven't actually got much air yet I am interested in the mechanics of how you can maneuver/position yourself once you are in the air. I'm not sure I understand why but apparently if you apply your rear brake it brings the front end down and if you throttle it lifts the front end. How is this possible in midair? any insight into this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanking you in advance,
Bofforider

Last edited:

BillyWho

Sir-Breaks-Alot
Mar 22, 2001
The mechanics of how this works is centrifugal force: The rear axle is the center of rotation, the swingarm is attached to the axle which becomes the "lever". So imagine the wheel spinning very fast and then the rear wheel stops instantly form applying the brake.All that centrifugal force that the wheel had is transferred to the lever (swingarm) with the axle still being the center of rotation and pulls the front end down.The same thing happens on the ground, but the front wheel is supported by, well, the ground.As far as raising the front end, it works exactly the same but in reverse.It is harder to raise the front end because the wheel is already spinning,but that is where you get the classic "panic" rev in the air to try and spin the wheel as fast as possible to rotate the front end up.

Last edited:

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
I spell it: Gyroscopic effect, or Gyrostatics.

bofforider

May 27, 2001
Orangeville

Hi, Hucker.
I'm in Orangeville but have been doing most of my riding at the 400 pits south of Barrie. Are there any good places to ride out your way?

Let me know.
Bofforider

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
Billy,
I think you gave a very good explanation. I think centrifugal force, inertia, and maybe some other neat technical terms come into play. They all play a roll in gyrostatics.
Bofforider,
I'm the kinda guy who is happy to just keep it on two wheels after a jump, but I can tell you this....when you see a good rider using the rear brake technique to lower the front end, they will usually stab at the brake pedal, instead of just engaging it with the front of their boot. I think that this "stabbing" force helps the dropping of the front too.
On the other side of your question, when your front is too low and you need to get it up, lots of times you will be pulling frantically back on the bars. This will cause the rev even if you aren't thinking about it. If you are gonna make it past the crest of the double, you'll be fine...if not your front tire will be the first thing to meet the hill....we all know what happens then. It's not called "panic rev" for nuttin! Have fun and work your way up to those big doubles.
Tabletops are a great way to learn.
Oh and BTW.....I too am an avid reader of techiniques, and I can tell you that sometimes it's best to trust your own instincts. Riders giving advise in mags have years of experience and practice. Too many things to think about in a short period of time...just relax and do your thing and keep basic priciples in mind. Soon you'll be giving advise.
The best tip I ever got on jumping was to, "squeeze wit da knees"! It helps just about every standing situation, especially jumping and whoops.
If you want more info on knees, ask billywho..hes da man!;)

bofforider

May 27, 2001
Thanks for the insight

I'd just like to say thanks for the help. This was my first post on this site and I am amazed at the number of great responses in so little time. I'll be riding this weekend so I'll be putting my new found knowledge to the test.

Thanks again.
Bofforider

BullDog KX125

Mar 9, 2001
one more thing...

get up momemtum before jump face, then steady gas up.

if the top of the jump is really steep, then let off the gas at the last second RIGHT as the back tire is leaving
that way you dont go vertical, and if u let off to soon, u may endo
its easier to let off a little to soon, and just peg the gas after you leave jump face, until u find the exact right spot
for really small whoop type jumps, hit gas at top, and pull up.
always grip seat with knees really firmly, lean back.
if bike goes to vertical, pull clutch and hit rear break, for getting to pull in clutch will result in engine stalling, but when you hit the ground, and the back tire starts rolling, the bike will start back up. but i think they bang of the landing may hurt the bottem end, i cant remember.
to far nose down, then hit gas
this is for suttle changes

ps(i didnt read what the rest of yall said so im sry if this has already been said:cool: )
pss: im also a little tired so what i said my not make since :think
psss. i dont know if a little of this stuff works cause where i ride there aint no big jumps :(
pssss. i just thought this last ps would be annoying

Top Bottom