SOMISSONE

Jul 31, 2001
after a few rides I noticed my bars are already bent a little. I know
I'm bad, real bad in the woods. are the factory bars weak.
Oh yea, in the woods in 2nd and 3rd gear mostly do you run a
BR8 spark plug? :silly:

Fleshwound

Nov 26, 2000
yeah those bars arnt sure to be replaced in no time;) . You might want to check on your bar mounts to make sure they havent moved around on yah. I run a Br8es everywhere I go usally and its always doing fine for me.

Last edited:

MADisher

Grand Data Poohbah
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 30, 2000
To echo...

the stock bars suck, but more than likely your mounts have moved a tad, the cones on the kdx are real flexible and give a little too much.

If you didn't crash hard, just straddle your front wheel with your legs and give the bars a tug and you can move them back in the mounts.

I usually have to square mine up once a ride from various entanglements with trees and what not.
:eek:

OLD-N-SLOW

Nov 21, 2000
Dont think there bent, just twisted in the mounts. Pound them back with your hand when in a pinch or loosen the bolts and reset straight if you have tools with. A one peice top bar clamp will solve this problem with minimum cash out lay.
Br8es will work fine for all conditions as long as your jetted correctly.
A Br7es may be better though.
Steve

SOMISSONE

Jul 31, 2001
I will check those mounts now, and tighten them. The jets are all factory
set right now. I'm leaving the BR8 in unless you talk me out of it ?
Thanks men... :p

MADisher

Grand Data Poohbah
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 30, 2000
Yes, I wouldn't run right out and buy a br7, but the next time you pick up plugs grab a couple and give em a try. I have a 7 in now, been running 8's didn't pull it out to check it like I should have after last ride.

will do tomorrow.

-MD

SOMISSONE

Jul 31, 2001
thanks to you guys my bars are straight again,what oil gas ratio are you running? someone told me 40-1 after breakin with a synthetic..

MADisher

Grand Data Poohbah
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 30, 2000
argh, Do a search this is a never ending debate.

I've tried a ton of different oils, mostly because the RM I had would foul a plug if I looked at it wrong. One of the main reasons I moved to a KDX was because I was tired of fouling plugs. Imagine my surprise when I fouled one in the kdx on the first ride.

Since then I have changed to Maxima's Super M oil at 32:1 and have not fouled a plug all summer. I have changed it twice I think and just recently tried a 7. But that's what I run, you'll get 80 different answers.

At 40:1 with a synthetic you probalby get the lubrication you need but it will make your fuel/air mixutre richer.

-MD

MADisher

Grand Data Poohbah
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 30, 2000
Just wanted to update you on my BR7 usage..

I pulled the plug after my ride to day, so it had two rides on it (about 95 miles total). it was fairly sloppy today so we did a lot of lugging. I was amazed, the plug looked brand frickin new. No spooge, no black stuff, nice and clean. I think, I'll stick with the 7 :)

-MD

SOMISSONE

Jul 31, 2001
humm! I'm trying 36-1, and the br7next week .We rode 27 miles yesterday and my br8 plug looks terrible. I don't want to run too lean,but I do not like
the looks of my plugs either...:think

SOMISSONE

Jul 31, 2001
good idea MADisher, I cut an inch off each end of my handlebars and noticed
they are solid on the ends, can this plug be knocked out..or should I just
drill a hole in it to mount my new handguards. They bolt in the ends..

MADisher

Grand Data Poohbah
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 30, 2000
hrms, I've put handgaurds (aka barkbusters) on a few bikes, never ran into solid ones.

Are you sure you're not looking at your throttle sleeve ? What brand bars are they ? I'm sure someone will chime in and tell ya what you have.

SOMISSONE

Jul 31, 2001
they are factory bars, but about 3 inches from each end they are solid.
I am adding Acerbis hand guards with metal inserts, they bolt to the end
of the bars. I did not want to buy new bars yet...I cut them down from
31 inches to 29..

Top Bottom