KDX200 Gearing for Woods Riding - Anyone Run 13/50?

Nov 30, 2020
So. Oregon
Hi all. I finally bought a very nice '99 KDX200 last summer for a retirement present. I got to ride one about 15 years ago and loved it. I'm going to be riding it in the woods in So. Oregon.

I've been going through the suspension and chassis bearings and it needs a chain and sprockets.
I spent hours looking for forum recommendations for gearing for trail riding, but only found a few brief ones. I knew I wanted lower gearing than the stock 13/47 so I guessed and bought 13T and 49T sprockets. I hung the chain on them at 108 links and it was too tight with the adjusters all the way forward, so I put 110 links on and had to move the snail adjusters all the way to "7" to get the right free-play. That's close to the rear-most limit of "9" and I would rather keep the wheel base shorter.

Does anyone have 13/50 gearing and if so, what number are your snail adjusters on?
And do you like that gearing?

Thanks,
Jim

MoonStomper

Sep 23, 2020
Low & Slow,
I don't know yet about where the adjusters will be set with the 13/50 - that should depend on how many links you use obviously, but I agree that 7 seems a bit far back. I would expect a 50 will bring the adjusters forward to about the four or five setting if you stay with 110 links. I bet it will fit.

I'm still running 13/47 OEM sprockets on my '03 200. I've been pretty happy with it racing hare scrambles here in the steep, rocky and rooty SW Virginia Appalachian Mountains, however, I am probably going to try the 13/50 setup. I'd like a lower ratio for when I'm not racing, and it seems I'd be able to be more up on the pipe in third gear and able to stay in third more when I am racing. I do know that pro racer Jordan Ashburn races the KDX 200 in hard enduros and he told me he is on a 13/50.

The OEM selections are usually 'middle of the road' for most things.

Nov 30, 2020
So. Oregon
Thanks for the reply MoonStomper. I was beginning to think my bike was so old I was going to have to do the R&D all over again. I guess I better call Fredette and ask him about gearing options and buy the ones he recommends.

MoonStomper

Sep 23, 2020
Jimbo, by the way - my buddy has a 12/47 on his KDX right now which is the same ratio as the 13/50 and he didn't have to add links - I think he's at 108. You can try that 12 for cheap and from what I hear the KDX doesn't have issues running it long term though some other bikes do. If you decide to run that ratio long term, just wait until your chain wears out then throw the 13/50 back on when you buy the longer chain. Check out kdxrider dot net if you haven't found them yet - lot of good info over there.

Kaw4me

Feb 15, 2010
We run a 13/50 on our KDX-225's ,, a good alternative to the 12/47 and not quite as low geared.
Modifications to the chain guide is required

Kaw4me

Feb 15, 2010
13/50 is not same or close to 12/47 ,, 13/51 is . But 13/50 is still a good choice if your tight trail riding

MoonStomper

Sep 23, 2020
So I tried the 13/50 for the first part of the race season this year and ended up doing a new top end that included some power upgrade. I went to Jeff Fredette and took his recommendations… Boyeson Radvalve, FMF Rev pipe, Fredette Torque Ring, his jets and needle kit (you’ll have to contact him for specifics), ported the cylinder and refreshed the KIPS.

The bike is so much stronger that I had to change my gearing again. JF recommended I try 13/46, which I did. After doing all this I managed my first hole shot. The bike now has more power everywhere and plenty of grunt. The taller gearing has made the bike more manageable in slick conditions and allows better 2nd and 3rd gear lugging. 1st is now much more usable and still plenty low for the steep stuff, with better traction.

Top Bottom