Kids on inappropriate bikes

Pushin50

Dec 18, 2006
The end result

Kids on big ATV's can have disastrous results. We lost two young girls, here in west Michigan, to ATV rollovers. (one in the Byron Center area and one in the Hastings area). They where kids on adult ATV's, without supervision or helmuts. They both died of brain injuries. I feel bad for the parents of the lost kids, but they are ultimately responsible. The parents can't blame the kid or the ATV's for the accidents. The kids should have been on appropriately sized ATV's and wearing protective gear. Both deaths could have easily been avoided. :bang:

Last edited:

kawicam250

I bleed green!
Aug 7, 2006
Pushin50 said:
Kids on big ATV's can have disastrous results. We lost two young girls, here in west Michigan, to ATV rollovers. (one in the Byron Center area and one in the Hastings area). They where kids on adult ATV's, without supervision or helmuts. They both died of brain injuries. I feel bad for the parents of the lost kids, but they are ultimately responsible. The parents can't blame the kid or the ATV's for the accidents. The kids should have been on appropriately sized ATV's and wearing protective gear. Both deaths could have easily been avoided. :bang:

this is why the government has put age restrictions on ATVs folks :| .

Matt 193

Dec 22, 2006
Im 13 my dad will let me ride his 300exc in a small flat area w/ my protective gear but its fun and only like 5 minutes then its back on the 85. I dont like the if you can start it you can ride it rule I can start my dads 300 but if i ride it on real trails Im going to end up hurt. A lot of kids in my school ride there parents bikes w/ no helmetboots or any other gear and I know morre then a few that have been really hurt and its their fault for riding it and their parents fault for letting them ride it.
I also know many kids that think the loudest pipe is so cool but now there have been noise complaints from nieghbors of land owners so now we have to drive two hours just for somewhere to ride.

KX250Dad

Dec 4, 2006
Matt 193 said:
Im 13... kids in my school ride there parents bikes w/ no helmetboots or any other gear and I know morre then a few that have been really hurt and its their fault for riding it and their parents fault for letting them ride it.
Matt 193... good for you, must be hard when you see your peers being stupid, and I suspect you get some heat for not following along. Seems to me your heads in the right place. A++ pal and I'd ride with you anyday...

Matt 193

Dec 22, 2006
KX250Dad said:
Matt 193... good for you, must be hard when you see your peers being stupid, and I suspect you get some heat for not following along. Seems to me your heads in the right place. A++ pal and I'd ride with you anyday...

Most of the credit should go to my parents for teaching me to ride safe if it wernt for them I would have ended up just like most other kids.

mongial

Oct 28, 2006
I was about 13 yrs old when the you start it you can ride it rule came to life. My father had a KX 500 and I was on a KDX 200 at the time. It only took one start and one test spin for me to realize that this was not a bike for me to be riding. Since I had about 8 yrs of riding under my belt I would assume that any kid hopping on a bike of this caliber would nearly s*it them selves.

Snook

Jan 7, 2005
Good riders make good parents and vice versa. Its just like hunting. If you dont teach a child respect of the weapon, you shouldnt put one in their hands.

150rguy

I got fat bars!
Dec 21, 2006
At the races I was in and watched this weekend there were 11 year olds on crf240r and they had to stand on blocks of wood to take off.

Jan 10, 2007
TV is half of the problem. Everybody wants to be in a Crusty video doing something "extreme". It all comes down to parenting. Responsible parents make responsible kids who in turn grow up to be responsible parents. Neither of my kids will ever ride without me there to 'monitor' their safety habits. Besides, riding is a family sport that is best enjoyed when done as a family.

150rguy

I got fat bars!
Dec 21, 2006
cheeseburger1966 said:
TV is half of the problem. Everybody wants to be in a Crusty video doing something "extreme". It all comes down to parenting. Responsible parents make responsible kids who in turn grow up to be responsible parents. Neither of my kids will ever ride without me there to 'monitor' their safety habits. Besides, riding is a family sport that is best enjoyed when done as a family.

Its not that fun when your 3x as aggresive and 10x faster than everyone in your faminly and group and you are always sstopping to let them catch up.

Nov 28, 2006
150rguy said:
Its not that fun when your 3x as aggresive and 10x faster than everyone in your faminly and group and you are always sstopping to let them catch up.

Right. But you're being responsible, which is a very good quality for everyone to have and pass on. :)

2-Strokes 4-ever

~SPONSOR~
Feb 9, 2005
Missouri
i racefast125 said:
i always ride solo im aggressive and fast but im responsible no matter what kinda bike im ridin'
Been there, broke that......be careful.......
Pride comes right before the fall.

vintxrgr

Jul 31, 2006
yea i am 14 and i ride a yz250 i am about 6' and 130lbs.

yes its the 1st bike of my own but iv been rideing friends bikes and atv's since i was 5. when i look back getting my yz250 as my 1st real bike was a misstake but its been ok iv always worn helmet and boots even if im just in the back yard and my dad made me keep it in 2nd gear for the 1st month.
i worked out befor and after school so i could pick it up and got the suspension softer so its a little easyer on me.

so i think so an extendt that its not"that bike is to big for that kid" its more of are the right precausions being takein for that kid to ride that bike/quad.

ofcourse there are some extream cases where like you said a small kid on a 400+cc bike is just insane. i for one ans scared $h!* less of anything bigging than what im rideing now,and iwould not ride a biger bike if you payed me for the simple fact that it would be stupid and i can smoke you on my smaller bike anyday! :nener:

just my 2cents

CHR!S

Jun 30, 2006
i racefast125 said:
i always ride solo im aggressive and fast but im responsible no matter what kinda bike im ridin'

why would you ride alone? what would happen if you crashed and couldn't get up?

Jan 10, 2007
"i can smoke you on my smaller bike anyday"

Very well put. So, what you are saying is that no matter what safey issues are discussed here, it all comes down to I am faster than you so nah, nah, nah, nah ,nah. This is exactly what I was referring to in my previous post. All these guys care about is being the MOST EXTREME or FASTEST rider, not the best. Faster does not make you a better rider!

john stu

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 7, 2002
i was riding at a local practice mx track and a rider hit the side of my van pinned in first gear (i figured throttle stuck)i ran over to see if he was ok to find out he doesn't even ride! it was his older buddys bike lets just say things got ugly for them real quick

Top Bottom