Brian_V

Jun 22, 2005
I've got a 2003 KX 250 all set up for woods / enduros... except I still have the stock gas tank. What do you all recommend? I'm looking to be able to get at least 120 miles out of a tank, but I sure love how skinny the stocker is. I had really bad luck with an IMS on my old bike. What fits well on the KX? Thanks!

Farmer John

T.C.F.<br>(tire changin' fool)
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 8, 2000
Brian_V said:
I've got a 2003 KX 250 all set up for woods / enduros... except I still have the stock gas tank. What do you all recommend? I'm looking to be able to get at least 120 miles out of a tank, but I sure love how skinny the stocker is. I had really bad luck with an IMS on my old bike. What fits well on the KX? Thanks!

Clarkes tend to fit much better than IMS, but none of the tanks available for an '03 KX 250 will clear much more than 80 miles.

windyhill

Mar 31, 2004
I put an IMS tank on my 04 KX250 about a year ago and I am very happy with it. On the negative side, there was kind of a gap between the rad shrouds and the rads at the top. This I corrected with a set of works connection rad braces and two pieces of clip on black plastic from work. The other thing is that the tank is a bit wide in front when trying to get really forward on the bike in a turn. On the plus side,in addition to the added capacity, its great being able to actually see how much gas you have. Plus the tank really looks good. Anyhow, just my .02. John

Bullwinkle58

Apr 23, 2004
On my CR 250 with a Clarke 3 gallon tank, I can go roughly 60 miles. To go 120 miles, you would have to figure out how to carry an additional 3 gallons of gas, which would weigh somewhere in the neighborhood of an extra 20lbs.

motonuts

Sep 5, 2005
just so you have an idea of the ims 3.2 gal tank....its big.
my friend has it on his '02 kx 250 and it takes getting used to.
i bang my knee's against it when i stand cause it has a "mushroom" looking top on it. its narrow at the shrouds but gets bigger at top.
i would check out clark tanks.

Brian_V

Jun 22, 2005
KdxChode said:
I am thinking about getting a KX 250 also...what kind of milage are you getting with the stock tank?

The longest I went was a 55 - 60 mile enduro loop. Lots of 1st - 2nd, opened up to 3rd only a few places. I was trying to ride smoothly and stay out of the high rpms cuz I knew it would be close, and it was. I made it on fumes, but saw lots of others, even another KX, out of gas near the end.

I'll check out clarks. Thanks to all.

2-Strokes 4-ever

~SPONSOR~
Feb 9, 2005
Missouri
Had an Acerbis once on a 91 KX, payed a little more...those Italians are proud of their plastic. Always had my doubts cause it carried gas in the shrouds. Wedged it into tree once and folded a shroud all the way back...touching the tank...no white lines, unscathed except for scratches....good stuff! IMS has a good thick plastic, but most mounting systems only anchor tank with ONE mount under tank...creating a wobble that the shrouds stabilize...not the most secure to me, but perhaps IMS DOES have a couple choices of size tanks for your bike? Clark I like. Two mounts, reasonable price. On my current RM, the tank comes up to sort of a "volvano" look, but doesn't hinder riding, and it's almost as thin as stock. Although I run a clear tank, I have heard Clark's colors are all good matches with oem colors.

Britt Boyette

Aug 16, 2004
At 3.1 gallons, almost any color you want, slim profile without the volcano look, less than one week delivery time, and low cost, give me the Clarke tank anytime. Ask for tank number 1443. It fits great too plus, for an extra $40, you can get an billet gas cap to boot.

Woodsquest

I love DRN!
Dec 15, 2004
KdxChode said:
I am thinking about getting a KX 250 also...what kind of milage are you getting with the stock tank?

Riding at an Enduro race pace, bike jetted correctly and running at 6,000 ft. elevation, I get 18.93 mpg. (using a ICO checkmate enduro computer to measure mileage.) With a total tank capacity of 8.5 Liters or 2.25 gallons, I can go a total of 42.5 miles to a tank of gas.

My Clark tank has a capacity of 3.2 gallons, so I can go 60.5 miles to a tank using it.

Top Bottom