learning to jump and take berm corners.

Is learning to jump and take berm corners hard to learn?If u have anything for me please share.

Last edited:

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Hard to learn, no...hard to do well, yes. :)

If you're just starting, taking a local class will likely help immensely by not ingraining bad habits while you are learning.

loge88 said:
Us learning the clutch tuff to learn?
You have asked this in another thread, you should have sufficient answers come in there.

I am wondering, are you thinking about riding a dirt bike, but afraid of the learning process? If so, you should probably wait until you are less scared. Before you ever get on a bike, you should respect, but not fear, it. If you are scared, or forget about what can happen, then you are more likely to do something stupid, and panic your way to the ER.

yeah im not scared at all I just wanna know. I know I probably will pick up on it pretty quickly cause i am a fast learner

Just don't do what I did the first time i did my first ever jump. I thought was going to fast i didn't ride enough but I did it anyway. I hit the front brake I went head first into the ground scarped up my arm and busted my helmet the visor anyway. It was really no big deal. Just don't hit the front brake :D

if you havent rode before (what it sounds like), you probably shouldnt worry too much about jumping, get your clutch and bike control down and then just start small, i wouldnt try any doubles your first time out, ive only rode mx tracks for about 2 weekends and i only do tabletops

The learning curve associated with MX usally consists of broken bones. So get ready for that and make sure you are willing to accept it. Some really good advice also is to make sure your suspension is set up for you before you attempt any jumps. If I had listened to this advice when I first started I think I could have avoided a few major crashes. Its worth every penny.

RMZRyder said:
The learning curve associated with MX usally consists of broken bones...QUOTE]

This does not have to be the case, just take your time and start with small tabletops. As you get more comfortable move on to bigger jumps. Also, never go for a jump unless you are 100% commited to it. Hesitation many times leads to a crash.

If you accept,and are prepared for the worst that can happen. Then you will be better off if something DOES happen! How is your healthcare plan? Does it cover you riding anywhere you want,sanctioned events? You should be in a flat field,no obstacles for 100's of yards,learn to ride,shift,downshift,corner,stopping and going. When you can ride wheelies then find a track!

whenfoxforks-ruled said:
When you can ride wheelies then find a track!
I should quit going to the track, it's been almost 2 years and I still don't do wheelies higher than 12 inches, and I don't keep the hoop up any longer than necessary.

Old geezers race with the wheels on the ground and young whipper snappers throttle down straightaways with the front wheel slightly off the ground! By the time he can ride wheelies down the trail,it is time to bust it out in the air! Fru,what class and what finishes?

250D, won the last 3 that I tried (only races that I have entered this year), but hardly anyboy else showed on those days. The C riders walked off on me. It's really just about the fun, and I get that joy on practice days where I simply pull off when I get tired. A little over a year ago I entered an age only old school MX class (natural terrain, rolling hills) and managed a top 20 finish out of 30 or so.

I'm not a whipper snapper anymore, but I don't qualify for geezer status yet. :nod: