learning to jump and take berm corners.

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
Hard to learn, no...hard to do well, yes. :)

If you're just starting, taking a local class will likely help immensely by not ingraining bad habits while you are learning.

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
loge88 said:
Us learning the clutch tuff to learn?
You have asked this in another thread, you should have sufficient answers come in there.

I am wondering, are you thinking about riding a dirt bike, but afraid of the learning process? If so, you should probably wait until you are less scared. Before you ever get on a bike, you should respect, but not fear, it. If you are scared, or forget about what can happen, then you are more likely to do something stupid, and panic your way to the ER.

loge88

Aug 8, 2007
yeah im not scared at all I just wanna know. I know I probably will pick up on it pretty quickly cause i am a fast learner

maximuse

Jul 16, 2007
Just don't do what I did the first time i did my first ever jump. I thought was going to fast i didn't ride enough but I did it anyway. I hit the front brake I went head first into the ground scarped up my arm and busted my helmet the visor anyway. It was really no big deal. Just don't hit the front brake :D

dirtbike2244

Mar 22, 2007
if you havent rode before (what it sounds like), you probably shouldnt worry too much about jumping, get your clutch and bike control down and then just start small, i wouldnt try any doubles your first time out, ive only rode mx tracks for about 2 weekends and i only do tabletops

RMZRyder

Dec 1, 2006
The learning curve associated with MX usally consists of broken bones. So get ready for that and make sure you are willing to accept it. Some really good advice also is to make sure your suspension is set up for you before you attempt any jumps. If I had listened to this advice when I first started I think I could have avoided a few major crashes. Its worth every penny.

Flux3D

Aug 8, 2007
RMZRyder said:
The learning curve associated with MX usally consists of broken bones...QUOTE]

This does not have to be the case, just take your time and start with small tabletops. As you get more comfortable move on to bigger jumps. Also, never go for a jump unless you are 100% commited to it. Hesitation many times leads to a crash.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
If you accept,and are prepared for the worst that can happen. Then you will be better off if something DOES happen! How is your healthcare plan? Does it cover you riding anywhere you want,sanctioned events? You should be in a flat field,no obstacles for 100's of yards,learn to ride,shift,downshift,corner,stopping and going. When you can ride wheelies then find a track!

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
whenfoxforks-ruled said:
When you can ride wheelies then find a track!
I should quit going to the track, it's been almost 2 years and I still don't do wheelies higher than 12 inches, and I don't keep the hoop up any longer than necessary.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Old geezers race with the wheels on the ground and young whipper snappers throttle down straightaways with the front wheel slightly off the ground! By the time he can ride wheelies down the trail,it is time to bust it out in the air! Fru,what class and what finishes?

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
250D, won the last 3 that I tried (only races that I have entered this year), but hardly anyboy else showed on those days. The C riders walked off on me. It's really just about the fun, and I get that joy on practice days where I simply pull off when I get tired. A little over a year ago I entered an age only old school MX class (natural terrain, rolling hills) and managed a top 20 finish out of 30 or so.

I'm not a whipper snapper anymore, but I don't qualify for geezer status yet. :nod:

indicaz

Sep 8, 2007
Bike came out from under me on a tight berm turn today, twisted my knee up.. im all gravy though, happened like the 15th time i took the turn. tried to slide the bike too much and bam.. there ya go

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
indicaz said:
Bike came out from under me on a tight berm turn today, twisted my knee up.. im all gravy though, happened like the 15th time i took the turn. tried to slide the bike too much and bam.. there ya go

Rule #1: Stay on the bike. ;)

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Fru sand bagg'in d class,outstanding! I do not have issues anymore about getting passed,or lapped! Arm pump has finally disappeared. Now all i need is less people relying on me to go to work the next day! Then I can start really jumping!

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
Oh yeah, old and slow 4 life! I have won against a total of 4 other D riders this year. :laugh: If I thought that I could keep up with the C guys, I would just jump into the age classes. I want nothing to to with C, and don't like taking the gate with them either. D riders know that they're slow, but the C kids seem to think that they're fast. ;)

stumanarama

Aug 29, 2007
i just started jumpin yesterday, they were some smaller tabletops, just lean back a little bit and roll into the throttle right as your going up the ramp, but dont full on punch it right before or youll loop it, but if you are just learning how to ride, i wouldnt even think of jumping, just get used to the bike first

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
High Lord Gomer said:
Rarely do you ever want to lean back when hitting a jump.
+1, come up the face with a steady hand on the throttle (don't play with it on the face) and stay centered on the bike. Sometimes it is appropriate to be a little forward, but leaning back only pulls the front higher on takeoff. Too far forward has the opposite tragic result.

Rama, you need to develop a little more technique yourself, unfortunately, you are doing it wrong and placing yourself in harms way.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
High Lord Gomer said:
Rarely do you ever want to lean back when hitting a jump.
Well unless your trying to do a backflip or double back flip like TP. :)

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
stumanarama said:
i just started jumpin yesterday,

... and you are giving ADVICE TODAY?

You should put a cork in it before we do it for you.

alexhack

Sep 9, 2007
I personaly don't jump too much anymore unless it a natural obstical in the bush but here are a few pointers that I've learned and used with sucess.

Keep your knees bent, to soak up the bumps on take off and landing. Jumping while sitting does not work and neither does standing strait up, both could hurt pretty bad.

As it's been said before, keep you body center on the bike. Roll the throttle on up the ramp but not more than you're comfortable with, start small and work up. Throttle till the rear tire just leaves the ramp then let off the throttle.

Heres the more tricky part, arial controll. The bike isn't going to want to jump flawlessly every time so you have to guide it along the way. By using the throttle to bring the rear end down, the rear brake to bring the rear end up and your body weight to controll side to side. It sound like alot but, with practice, it get to be second nature.

With the arial techniques try to get the bike parrallel with the ground you are going to land on with the front just the slightest bit higher.(whether it be a table top, step up, landing ramp of a double/triple or flat land) Not too much or the front slaps down pretty hard. Think of it like the way you walk. You dont walk completely flat footed nor do you walk toe then heel.

As the bike lands, use your knees and arms to help cusion the landing making sure you don't hit the seat with your butt or handle bars with your face. And allways land steering the way you are moving, landing with the bars turned isnt't fun.

Well I hope this helps you in your ventures. Remember, don't bite off more than you can chew. Good luck.

Top Bottom