Can Can Kev

Feb 24, 2003
a lift sucks, ive seen some guys at the track with really lifted trucks use a long ramp and stand on there bike stand most commonly, ive also seen a lowered f 150 with air bag suspension load bikes pretty cool, he just let the air out of the bags in the backand the rear end dropped and wit hthe tail gate down it touced the ground easy loading with no ramps! cool huh!?

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
PK: I darn sure don't know everyone on the site, but of those I do ... you, my friend, are the only one able to lift a big 4 stroke up and place in a truck bed. OK, maybe XRP and Cam also. As for me, I'm a shrimp :ugg: ... I can't get my 400 in my GMC without a struggle. I do need to get an 8' ramp as that would help.

Camstyn

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 3, 1999
Keep in mind a 8' ramp (96") up against a 55" tailgate height is going to be at a very steep angle, well beyond 45 degrees.. I doubt you'd be able to ride up it without launching your bike through the back window.

D Lafleur

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 11, 2001
I just ride the bike into the back of the truck. If you have a long wheel base and a spray in bed liner, this isnt that big of a trick. I actually hit the ramp with 10mph of speed and bleed off as I climb in. I havent been through the window yet. My friend tried once, but didnt bring enough courage, he kicked the ramp and ding my gate. :ugg:

Camstyn

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 3, 1999
The folks that ride your bike up the ramp, you can't be talking about a F350 with 12.5" lift and 40" tires? :eek: If so, :worship:

motometal

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 3, 2001
Sorry, but I have to put in my opinion. I know your question isn't "do you guys like jacked up trucks and should I get one or do you think people see me as a hillbilly?" :)

Add me to the list that discourage you from buying a lifted truck. Too many cons and not enough pros. Handling sux, more tippy, hard to reach into the back, bad on u-joints (sharla already called that one), among other things. And, since the differentials are still the same distance from the road, a lifted truck will usually high center and get stuck just as easily.

otherwise, I always liked the stock ride height on a standard 4 x 4, and use a 2 x 12 with a good metal (angled) end, and ride the bike up no problem. Pushing it up isn't too bad, but if the truck was much taller it wouldn't work.

Some of the tricks mentioned will help you get by, but require a special mound of dirt or some other item. The mound might not always be there, and the ladder takes up space or might get stolen. Trailers definitely complicate matters in many ways, but are the best answer for some folks. I'll cling to my regular cab full size long bed as long as possible.

MelloYello

~SPONSOR~
Nov 22, 2002
Camstyn said:
Keep in mind a 8' ramp (96") up against a 55" tailgate height is going to be at a very steep angle, well beyond 45 degrees.. I doubt you'd be able to ride up it without launching your bike through the back window.

According to my rusty trigonometric calculations (I think I got a 'C' so take it for what it's worth), assuming the truck and the ramp are on level ground, the angle of the ramp would be around 35 degrees. And while that is still fairly steep, I think it would be feasible to ride up given a wide stable platform. With enough speed, you could bypass the back window and land on the hood.:eek:

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
If you are on level ground with a 33" bed height and and 8' ramp you have about a 27 degree incline (rounded for sake of discussion), to achieve about the same with a 53" height you would need a 10' ramp. Now as far as getting that 20" additional step up height...

PK is a freak of nature and I suppose he could also pickup an F350 and load it into the back of a Euclid :laugh:

Me I have enough trouble with my F250 4x2 so walking around with stiches in my chin and tongue from where they hit the tailgate isn't real appealing. Tell Uncle Jed I said "Howdy, y'all come back now ya' hear?" ;)

Last edited:

Top Bottom