BCR-Bob

Sponsoring Member
Mar 8, 2001
Originally posted by Tony Williams

Oh ya, I went big.... I cracked the throttle wide open in Rapid City, and my wheels didn't hit the ground 'til Grand Junction, Colorado. All those punks jumping over houses ain't got nothing on me!

Nobody believed me when I said I saw a blue astroid with wheels land in the desert. But then, nobody ever listens to me anyway.....

Tony Williams

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2000
Ride Report 8/29/01

Another perfect day in sunny southern California for the DRN Wednesday Elsinore ride.

All the usual suspects were present. No serious injuries this time. I got to ride MXDad's 250F on the Vet track. I have to say, it's a bit different bike than I thought. It really is more like a two stroke than my YZ400F.

Holeshot grenaded the clutch on the 426F. It was giving telltale signs that all was not right, and thankfully it was the last ride of the day when it quit.

Nate Ramsey (250F) and David Vuillemin (YZ250) were tearing up the track today. The woman taking the gate fees mentioned that all the top 40 riders get to ride for free. Well, last week, Jeremy McGrath showed up, and she charged him, just like everybody else.

He complained, "You're not supposed to charge me!" She said, " Who the h*ll are you?"

:p

holeshot

Crazy Russian
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 25, 2000
Cool Wednesday

Now I know why these guys ride on Wed. - it's the cool day of the week.

MxDad also let me take a spin on his 250F - that thing wails. The first couple of laps my thoughts were "Yah, I'm roughly the same speed on the 250 as my 426, but I can go at least twice as long on the 250". On third or fourth lap it was, "Hey, can go faster through the whoops and corners on this thing and it suits my clutchy riding style better". I gotta have one now.

I pulled apart the clutch after the ride, and as I suspected, the inner hub (not the basket) was toast. The splined steel sleeve in the aluminum inner hub started to spin within the hub, giving me neutral in all five gears. There was a lot of play in the hub previous to the self destruct, making it near impossible to disengage the clutch all the way (causing a hard shifting/stalls). Looks another call to Hinson for a 426 clutch part ($$$).

LT showed up with his son, and let my daughter take a spin on the 50. She thought the automatic four stroke was "cool".

Tony was smoking me (I'll have to do something about that) and I stayed away from Bill because he makes me feel slow. :think

I probably won't have the chance to go on many Wednesday rides in the future, but the ones I've been on have been great. :)

Last edited:

longtime

Oct 7, 1999
Had a great time myself. So did Connor. :cool:

ps. Thanks to Holeshot and his lovely daughter April for help averting disaster when we realized Connor had forgotten most of his gear.

pps. I'm beginning to feel bad about the way I schooled Nate Ramsey and David Villuimen on the SX track -- I mean, come on, they're pros == okay, "wake up Dave, you'll be late for school . . . ":)

Last edited by a moderator:

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
MXDad, sorry I missed this one, I'll plan another Wed. ride with you guys soon. Look forward to the next meeting!
Elk

Top Bottom