john_bilbrey

Mar 22, 2003
I've had mixed results with creatine. First cycle (one month) I really noticed an improvement in my workouts. I had been working out for several months before I ever thought about it. It helped me with intensity and duration. Second cycle (after a month off) didn't do much for me.
Loading phase wasn't too bad - I had a tub of the powder and would choke down a scoop every few hours with a glass of water - kinda like taking a BC or Goodies headache powder. Did that for a week (~20 gr./day). Then I just took a scoop before workouts every day, even on my off day for maintenance. I also had some quality protein that I took in conjuction with a sensible diet. Also, make sure you drink all the water you can stand while taking creatine. Dehydration is a real concern.
CAUTION: you will gain unwanted weight with both creatine and protein if you don't hit the weights. I also had the trots for the first AND last week of a creatine cycle. YMMV.

Milk

Looking for Mr. Right
Jun 28, 2002
Zio,

If you get any hotter, or lose any more weight, Im coming to Cali and stealing you from Zia.

That pig stuff made me all hot man. :)

STIguy

Aug 27, 2002
hey man you got me inspired i have read the book but never really did anything with it. but the time is now and i am going to start the body for life program cause i feel i have let my self down i guess and would love to get back into shape. thanks and keep up the good work.

john_bilbrey

Mar 22, 2003
It had no taste whatsoever. I didn't mix it, I just put a scoop in my mouth and washed it down with a bunch of water. No sense prolonging it (drinking something gritty...) A couple of my buds would mix it WITH juice or yogurt...

No, it shouldn't give you a headache. As long as you stay with a quality product I don't think you'll have any trouble. Stay away from the bargain basement brands though. It's just like anything, you'll get what you pay for.

zio

Mr. Atlas
Jul 28, 2000
I think that's probably a good question to ask a dermatoligist. There are just too many hooligans running around shouting out unqualified nonsense like "drinking cat ur*ne increased my energy, and it got rid of my jock itch too!" Sorry Lou, but I just don't believe it. ;)

I'm not sure (I highly doubt it) that any studies have been done on teenagers and the possible increase in acne with creatine use. Besides, during puberty especially, there are just too many things that can cause an outbreak.

I'd be inclined to think that you may benefit from it indirectly, as you'll (hopefully) be drinking more water. Also, I read a good tip in a magazine recently- I carry non-scented baby wipes to the gym with me & use them to wipe my face after a workout. Take them with you to school, too & use them throughout the day.

B

biglou

Let's see the next picture there, paisan! Yeah, I'm rollin' now too. No pics from me though. Not shirtless anyway. Don't wanna scare folks away... Three weeks into it now, only been working out for one week. Dropped roughly 15 lbs. (although that isn't much at my size). Clothes are fitting better, I'm energized, encouraged, determined, and a little sore! I may be psycho-sematic (sp?) but I think I can see a difference in the upper body for sure. I think I even felt a rib the other day, and it wasn't from the BBQ joint... Also noticing other things-Pants are much looser around the legs, and waist, for that matter, arms are tight, attitude at work has improved, etc. Man, I am on fire here! Let's hope I can keep it up. Looking for some major changes, but it's gonna be a few months. Maybe even a screen name change-"MediumLou" ;)

zio

Mr. Atlas
Jul 28, 2000
Tried it last night, had an error with our memory card. :think: I'll try to get a friend to take it again tonight.

TVRider

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 29, 2002
Zio,

I read this thread back in Feb sometime, I think. I was already working out and it inspired me to mix in the right nutrition. I went from 200 down to 178 in the last couple months (remember I had a head start). This has really inspired me! I have printed this thread and given it to at least 3 other non-dirtbikers trying to get them inspired. I hope you and medium lou both keep it going, we're pulling for you :yeehaw:

B

biglou

Well, I jumped on the calibrated scale at work today. It has been exactly one week since I weighed last. The result? 2 pounds HEAVIER than last week! But-I still feel so much better, and I have been following the program pretty darn closely, so I ain't sweatin' it too much. Plus, I already had 3/4 gal of water in me, and a coat on, but I was kind of hoping to surprise myself and be a few pounds lighter. Oh well, still charging forward...

zio

Mr. Atlas
Jul 28, 2000
TVRider, I can't tell you how awesome that sounds. It's just extra incentive to push myself, and keep up with learning more and posting more here. I think I'll even give you guys a peek at my "real" before photo.

Lou, I quit weighing myself a while ago. It's all in the mirror, now.

So I tried to take a picture last night using the timer. I did 5 or so, and below is the best of the lot. I'm still standing at an agle a bit, and with a little bit different posture angle, and at a different zoom :silly: But oh well. My body shape in person look different enough that I'll post it anyway.

Attachments

• atlas4.jpg
    atlas4.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 339

TVRider

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 29, 2002
Personally, I think he needs to accessorize better. Is it just me or does he look fatter in the black shorts? I think more color is the answer.:p

But seriously, lookin good keep it up.

Lou,

One of the things that helped me was getting a digital scale (we haven't had any kind of scale for a long time) and stepping on it every morning just before I shower. It gives me an accurate number to compare to the past. I don't have to worry about what I'm wearing or how much water I just drank. For me it presents a challenge and I can't resist a challenge. When I wasn't sure I was losing weight in the past, I tended to lose interest. The other thing to remember is muscle weighs mor than fat so for a while as you convert fat to muscle you will lose inches but stay the same or even gain a little weight. Pretty basic stuff, but just in case you hadn't thought about it. Anyway just my $.02.

zio

Mr. Atlas
Jul 28, 2000
Here's my new workout routine for the next 4 weeks. It's important to change it up every 4 weeks or so- change what muslces you work on what day, and change what exercises you do. You want to introduce new stresses to your muscles, you don't want them to get accustomed to a certain exercise but rather force them to grow.

Monday- chest & back

Hammer Strength Flat Bench- 4 sets @ 6-8 reps
Modified Cable crossovers- 4 sets @ 6-8 reps
Dumbell incline bench- 2 sets @ 6-8 reps

Wide grip Lat pulldowns- 4 sets @ 6-8 reps max
Bent over rows (Smiths)- 4 sets @ 6-8 reps max
Hammerstrength close grip rows- 2 sets @ 8-10 reps

Tuesday- Cardio

Wednesday- Biceps & Triceps

Seated Hammer Curls- 4 sets @ 6-8 reps max
Standing Barbell Curls (cheater)- 4 sets @ 6-8 reps max
Reverse Barbell Curls- 3 sets @ 6-8 reps max

Hammerstrength Dips- 4 sets @ 6-8 reps
Cable Extensions- 4 sets @ 6-8 reps
Overhead rope extensions- 2 sets @ 6-8 reps max

Thursday- Cardio

Friday- Shoulders & Legs

Squats- 4 sets @ 8-12 reps
Hammerstrength calf raises- 3 sets @ 8-10 reps
Leg Curls- 3 sets @ 6-8 reps

Dumbell Military presses- 4 sets @ 6-8 reps max
Cable Side raises- 4 sets @ 6-8 reps max
Upright Rows- 2 sets @ 6-8 reps max

Saturday- Cardio

Another thing I need to mention is upping your weights. Not just going from one size to the next inbetween sets, but challenging yourself to new weights you weren't previously able to do. I always start with a relatively easy set per muscle group just to warm them up & get the blood flowing. Then, I go to about 75% or so of my max weight for my first set, up it a bit for the second, up it again for the third, and hope to get to near my max weight I can lift for that exercise on my last set. If on that last set I can crank out 4 reps easily, then I know it's time to challenge myself next time to a higher weight. And that means starting off higher, too.

For example, yesterday I did my biceps/triceps routine. Seated hammer curls are a staple bicep exercise, and I'll always include them. I usually start with 22.5 lb dumbells to warm up, then start my first real set with 25's. Instead, I warmed up with 25's and started my first real set with 30's. That was a big jump for me. But it was well worth it. On my 4th set, I went up to 40's- that's something I've never tried before! And even though I was only able to get one up with good form per arm, it still felt awesome!

Form is another important aspect of weightlifting. I'm more concerned with using proper form than I am with how much weight I lift. If you have to use momentum to get a weight up (swinging your back a bit to lift a heavy barbell curl for example), you need to go down in weight. When I do seated cumbell curls, my back is firmly planted against the backrest. My shoulders stay level, and I try to keep my elbows as stationary as possible. I do a steady controlled contraction (no jerking), and then lower the weight even slower. Doing this not only isolates the muscle better, but it requires you to work all your stabilizing muscles, too (abs, obliques, etc).

And, for those of you who work out at a gym or have a home gym, I discovered a killer new ab workout. This thing rocks. I used to do cable crunches (grasping the rope & kneeling on the floor, crunching as much weight as I could withouth the weight stack lifting me off the ground. Here's what I saw someone doing the other day & I tried it out: at the lat pulldown station, lower the leg cushion all the way & use a close-vgrip or rope (I like the vgri- because it's much easier to hold on to behind your neck). Then, seated facing away from the stack, start doing your crunches. If you do heavy weights like I do, you can wrap your feet around the base of the machine to hold yourself firmly in place. I was able to do a good 4 set workout with 6-8 reps per set. Hey, abs are just like any other muscle, right? So why not work them that way. IMO, 500 crunches on the floor is a total waste of time. All you're doing is toning what muscle you have, & building endurance.

That's all for today, kids.

zio

Mr. Atlas
Jul 28, 2000
Originally posted by TTRGuy
Nice pic ATLAS :laugh:

Okay, computer geek. I name the first one Atlas, too. I was stuck between that, and Hulk. But I didn't want anyone to think I had a thing for large, green men.

Here I am, in all my fat glory! I hope the rest of you are more mature than little Eddie Luckey.

Attachments

• atlas1.jpg
    atlas1.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 371

Farmer John

T.C.F.<br>(tire changin' fool)
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 8, 2000
Hey, those are nice pics. Could you send me some, you know, ah, privatly. ;)

Just kidding Zio!
I'm impressed with your ability to stick with this. I have no such will power & the gut to prove it.

Timr

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 26, 1999
zio,

You're a brave man to post those pics with these guys around.&nbsp; :scream:&nbsp;&nbsp; I can see you as the&nbsp;next victim&nbsp;of a PapaK XRPred thread.

zio

Mr. Atlas
Jul 28, 2000
Yeah, I thought long and hard about it. If Thump wants to make a pic of me in a leopard thong and suspicious drool on my chin... hmm....

How do you delete threads? J/K. I know that at some point in time some one with a certificate from the Acme Computer Geek School will hijack this thread & do nasty things to my n*pples or something. But hey, whaddaya gonna do? Fuggetaboutit.

Danman

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 7, 2000
I have had the BFL book for a while and I'm just getting to were I will have at least 5 to 8 weeks at home were I can start a workout routine. More than a few of the people I work with are doing it and I must say that I have see the results. I think I may have found a little motivation.

flynbryan

~SPONSOR~
May 22, 2000
Zio I know you gave a hint to this a while back in one of your first posts, but what are the negative affects of atkins dieting that you we're speaking of? My fiance's parents are both on it and she was thinking of trying this diet as well. This plan your on interests me, and I think its something We'd be interested in as well. Is there a website that goes into detail about the plan and what you should eat. Thanks. :thumb:

zio

Mr. Atlas
Jul 28, 2000
Danman, I think Rob Schneider said it best in the movie Waterboy... "You can do eet"

Bryan, I'll dig up the info & post it, along with links. It was zia that first started reading about the negatives of Atkins. If I recall correctly, the jist of it is that your body won't discriminate between feeding on fat and feeding on muscle.

As stated by Dr. Hussman (fitness/nutrition expert) "Too much carbohydrate restriction leaves the muscles depleted of glycogen, and dehydrates them, which is absolutely counterproductive. The body also perceives a "fasting state" and starts increasing the enzymes that defend fat stores."

On another note, I was looking in the mirror yesterday, as I was feeling a bit bummed that the last two photos I've posted didn't show that much progress. Granted, it's hard to pose the same way, flex the same way, create the same lighting, etc., and therefore get a good perspective from the pictures (especially when your wife takes one, and you do the next by yourself). So I did like most guys & started flexing in the mirror with different poses. Okay, I look a lot different. Especially in my pecs and shoulders. And my lats. Those three groups are showing the biggest changes, and unfortunately don't show up well in the photos. It's not just the muscle growth, but the fat loss too. I used to have some perky man-b00bs. We're talking full "A", small "B". And my gut was literally rolling over my belt. I was just blessed with broad shoulders and overall stalky frame that helped disguise the nastiness when I had a shirt on.

So I'm starting to feel good about my results. I'm at that 8-9 week mark that Okie mentioned. I'm starting to care less and less about the 12 week BFL program. I'm more interested in what kind of changes I'll make by summer. :thumb:

Last edited:

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom