WaltCMoto

Sponsoring Member
Jan 1, 2001
Zio, Lou, SeniorKX.
Yall have inspired many to get it started :thumb:
You guys have come a long way in the past year, and thats what it takes to be sucsessful. Long term commitment. The little habits that end up being many pounds over time are the ones that need to be conquered.
Im down to a 10 year low on my weight, it took a year of running to get there, but I feel great. (and my pants fit better too!)

Keep up the good work everyone

Sawblade

Timmy Timmy Timmy!
Sep 24, 2000
Originally posted by Senior KX Rider
Weighed in at 163 about a wek ago

Cool Senior KX ! How have you keep yourself motivated? This thread has made me do a lot of thinking about weight, health, nutrition and being able to ride more then 3 laps without my tongue getting caught in the spokes. I'm going to hit Barnes and Noble tomorrow and pick a copy of BFL.

B

biglou

I'm still weighing the same-215, down from a starting point of 265, but I'm five weeks into proper weight training at the "Southside Barbell Club" now. It's amazing what finding a good gym and the proper equipment can do for your motivation. All I have at home is a 70lb. straight bar, a 60lb curl bar and two 25lb dumbells. I don't even have a bench!

I'm going to try to kick the cardio in the ass come Jan 1st and get a little movement there, too. I actually probably don't want to drop more than another 15-20lbs. Focused now on changing the shape of it. I just need to be sure to keep my cardio base up for endurance and I'm also going to really try to bump the intensity of the interval training up. I'm still pumped, still on fire. I still feel freaking fantastic and have more nervous energy than I know what to do with! :thumb:

zio

Mr. Atlas
Jul 28, 2000
The holidays kicked my shiny heiney. I've gained about 10 lbs, all in my belly. Last night, zia spied me with a bowl of ice cream and insulted me for a good three minutes.

So I'm back in the saddle. Actually, we were supposed to be back officially as of the 26th, except for last night's Haagen Daas Debacle. It's been hard, though. Our kitchen was (still is, sort of) in shambles. I'm doing a total remodel and it's taking me longer than I thought. We still have no counter tops, but I finally installed the new garbage disposal Christmas Eve. It's a bad-ass Badger 7.0 :aj: , up from the puny Badger 1.0 that was cowering under the sink.

So it's on, baby. My new goal is to reach an all-time Lean-Low. I'll try to add some size to my muscles, but mainly I want to see more definition.

Senior KX Rider

Super Power AssClown
Nov 9, 1999
If I had to single out one main motivational factor :think: It would prolly have to be my age (46) and my desire to continue doing the things I like to do(riding dirtbikes for one). Carrying 50 extra pounds gets harder every year that goes by and I was really starting to feel it. My brother is one year older than I am and he is 5'8" and 255lbs. He gets winded going up a flight of stairs. I have an 8 year old that I need to be able to keep up with for a long time to come and I feel like I'm up to it. :)

Motivation is the key to any fitness plan and it took me a few years to really find as much of it as I needed. If you can stick with it after a month the diet becomes your normal routine and gets much easier. As for the workout....I prolly spend 12 to 15 hours a week and that becomes normal routine too. I took the hours from the time I used to watch TV and it was the best move I ever made. I might watch 2 or 3 hours of TV aweek now.....unless there is MX/SX on then add a few hours

Flying Scot

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 13, 2002
I don't know how I missed this post all year Zio.

I was proud on the enhancement to my Buddha belly after it was pointed out to me ( the wife - where did that come from ? as I sat on the couch 2 nights ago ). I specialize on the round mound in the middle.

I wasn't trim at Dirtweek and I am even more pronounced now ( could be mistaken for the ninth month ). But what the hey, I like being inefficient so I'll work out next year ( maybe ) and I'll eat and drink what and when I want.

Thanks for the the high calorie New Castle Brown Ale at Dirtweek, I'm glad I could find some and pay you back.

Stick with your Colon Blow.

Best regards the Smart Arse Scotsman - Flying Scot ( can't ride but likes to drink )

Diet and fitness anyone ? Sounds like a damn pompous Tennis club. :moon:

Wind

Dec 30, 2002
Yes, but some Irishmen are faster than others! He, he, he. My problem is my belly, so that's why I'm here (that and the fact that I almost didn't finish a moto last year I was so beat :). I got a question for you Zio. Reading your version of motocross weight training, you seem to concentrate more on intensity and strength than on reps and endurance. Aren't reps better if you want to last a couple (or 4) motos?

The Holidays took their toll but it's on for 2004!
Wind

zio

Mr. Atlas
Jul 28, 2000
Wind, yeah- if you're looking to build endurance, you're generally gonna want to increase the reps, lower the weight. Weight training then becomes more of a cardiovascular exercise, not a strength building one. The muscle you already have will get stronger to a point, and your conditioning will be great, but that's it.

Re: the belly- if you're looking to reduce the size of your gut, don't go out and to 200 crunches a day. Really all you'll do is increase the size of your abdominal muscles. Most men put weight on their stomach first, and then their body burns fat from all areas equally, so the extra large deposit of fat will stay on your stomach longer. Sometimes, it'll cling there until all other fat is gone. So do your cardio, eat right, and avoid the crunches. It's a myth that they'll help you sculpt your abs.

Wind

Dec 30, 2002
Thanks Zio! With that clarification I think I can build a program around my particular needs. I'll post results when I reach my BFL goal.

Boodac

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2001
Excellent information, although I have a comment. I started the Atkins Diet about 2 years ago and today have lost a total of 86 pounds. Before the diet I had a cholesterol level of 234. After 3 months on the diet my cholesterol was 203 and the Triglycerides were very low. My doctor, who happens to be a heart doctor, stated that he doesn’t know why it works but that the symptoms from being overweight were far worse than the diet. Nonetheless he ordered blood work every 3 months for the first year. Everything, including my good cholesterol was getting better. The point I’m trying to make is that most diets if done properly are better for your health than being overweight. Although I must say the BFL diet sure has some great points to be considered.

Wind

Dec 30, 2002
I just thought I'd chime in that so far I've lost 10 pounds on Body For Life (even though I've not been perfect). I'm still learning to workout for example. 10 pounds is nothing to crow about, compared with the acheivement of Big Lou. For me its a foothold. Atkins was good for teaching me about using (or not using) carbs for appetite control, though I know it goes deeper than that. I just couldn't hang with the weird food, my body got all freaked out. I agree anything is better than being overweight so I'm happy that losing 2 pounds a week is working with me doing almost nothing but refraining from that last bite. Whatever works, right? Awesome.

380EXCman

Sponsoring Member
Sep 15, 1999
Thought you all might find this intresting....

Jan. 7, 2004 -- Where did our fitness go? A look at an old-order Amish community offers a clue.

If you randomly select three American adults, you're likely looking at one obese person and one overweight person. But are we really less fit than our meat and potatoes, gravy-eating ancestors?

Yes, say University of Tennessee researcher David R. Bassett, PhD, and colleagues. Bassett's team didn't have a time machine, so they did the next best thing. They went to an old-order Amish community in southern Ontario, Canada, and asked for help.

Like other Amish communities, these people shun modern conveniences and power machinery. Unlike some other Amish, most of this Ontario community still farms for a living. Bassett asked 98 of these men and women to wear a modern step-counting device for seven days. The study participants also told him details about their daily physical activities.

Even though they ate the high-fat, high-sugar diet typical of pre-World War II Americans -- meat, potatoes, gravy, eggs, garden vegetables, bread, pies, and cakes -- the Ontario Amish were remarkably fit. Only 4% were obese and only 26% were overweight.

How did they do it? Hard work -- and lots of foot power. Their weekly exercise was equivalent to that of long-distance runners. Men averaged 18,425 steps a day. Women averaged 14,196 daily steps.

"The Amish were able to show us just how far we've fallen in the last 150 years or so in terms of the amount of physical activity we typically perform," Bassett says in a news release. "Their lifestyle indicates that physical activity played a critical role in keeping our ancestors fit and healthy."

The findings appear in the January issue of Medicine & Science in Sports and Exercise, the official journal of the American College of Sports Medicine.

zio

Mr. Atlas
Jul 28, 2000
Well, an update is in order. I'm out of shape. It's been a long, hard battle with illness, house remodel, personal stuff. But we're back. Well, I'm back. Zia hasn't quit. In fact, she just finished her ISSA Certified Fitness Trainer program. We remodeled our garage into a home gym for us to work out in & her to train clients. She already has her first two. I'll post pics of our gym soon. I should post her before pics, too. They're a lot more... uh.... "inspiring" than mine.

So if anyone has any more questions about this stuff, let me know!

B

biglou

I'll admit to letting my cardio workouts slip, but that was over the winter. Hard to motivate myself to get out into the cold and run. I have not, however, missed a single workout at the gym since Dec 1st. Funny thing is, I've put about 10 lbs back on, but the new smaller clothes still fit just fine. I weight myself about once a month, if that, anymore. As it warms up, I'll be back out on the road in the mornings. Actually, I ran three times last week, so I'm feelin' pretty good about that! My plan is to make another big push this year again, and keep things steady and progressing.

380man makes good points. Whenever I go to WalMart or the grocery store, I alway park out at the end of the lot and walk in. I try to look for things like that everywhere I can to try to keep active. Those people who spend 5 minutes just making one of their many loops through the lot looking for the front door space crack me up. I'm in and out by the time they find a close enough parking space! And at work, I deal with a lot of heavy office funiture, both assembled and disassembled, and I will cary the parts manually, as opposed to using a two wheeler, whenever practical. Lugging a 80lb. tabletop up two flights of stairs, or a couple hundred yards out to the dumpster is a great way to get the heartrate up a bit. :)

rwhitlock

Dec 11, 2002
Just wondering if anyone here has used the Bowflex home gym?

I have been a member of the local Golds Gym, but it's getting harder to get out of the house once I get home from work.

I hope that a home gym would allow me to workout in a shorter period of time.

-- Rod

B

biglou

I think Rich R. commented once that they were well built. Other than that, I don't have any personal experience with them. I am lucky that my gym is right in my home town, so I stop on the way home. Small place, reasonably priced, nice folks there all around. You might look for a smaller place with freeweights that is close by?

zio

Mr. Atlas
Jul 28, 2000
Some other manufacturer has licensed a similar product, but is selling it for much less $$$. It may be Weider. Not sure. I've never used one, but based on what I've heard, I'd take one of those over the crappy Costco type setups any day.

Go check out a local fitness store- the type of place that sells professional equipment. Body Solid is a brand that is very well made. I just built a home gym for zia to train clients in our garage. Did the whole conversion. Cost for a professional dumbell rack set (5-70 lbs), a cable crossover set, a cage, an adjustable bench, an olympic bar & weights, and a few extra goodies came in under $2200. That's a lot of scratch, but we considered the $50/month we paid for our gym membership ($600/yr) and figured we'd never stop working out, so even if she never trained clients at home, it'd pay off in the long run. Only downside is my garage is gone. I kept a 6x20 storage area in the front for bike, gear, crap, etc. I should post a pic or two. It's pretty cool.

I also added a window AC unit, some Pinnacle In-wall speakers I got on **** for pennies on the dollar ($499 msrp), wall to wall gym floor, and a 4x7 mirror.

hoosierf

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 6, 2001
I've had a boxflex for 4 years and I'd highly recommend it. I was a freeweight junky in college and the bowflex comes closest and no need for a spotter. Just make sure you buy the whole kit, all of it, including the extra 100 lbs.

zio

Mr. Atlas
Jul 28, 2000
squat rack, adjustable bench, cable crossover, recumbent bike

Attachments

• gym 1.JPG
    gym 1.JPG
    34.8 KB · Views: 82

zio

Mr. Atlas
Jul 28, 2000
dumble rack- 5-70 lbs. There are a few exercises I could use bigger weights for, but these things get expensive. Cost is roughly $0.50/lb.

Attachments

• gym 2.JPG
    gym 2.JPG
    37.5 KB · Views: 76

zio

Mr. Atlas
Jul 28, 2000
door to the front of the garage. It's small, at only 5 or 6 ft deep. But we don't have that much crap anymore.

Attachments

• gym 3.JPG
    gym 3.JPG
    22.4 KB · Views: 69

zio

Mr. Atlas
Jul 28, 2000
there are two of these cabinet doors above the squat rack- this one is for access to the garage door opener. The other on the left is for storage.

All in all, it was a fairly easy project. It was my first time framing on my own, and I did an okay job. My biggest problem was getting the studs attached to the ceiling joists securely, and plumb with the framed wall. It's sturdy as heck, though.

Attachments

• gym 4.JPG
    gym 4.JPG
    28.6 KB · Views: 71
Top Bottom