Tom H

Sep 5, 2000
My Kid's KDX pumps a considerable amount of oil out the transmission vent tube every time he stops riding. Any ideas on what causes this? Is a breather hole plugged somewhere?

BucKat

~SPONSOR~
Mar 27, 2002
Hi Tom
What year is the bike. When is the last time work has been done to the crank area.Seals if particular.
How much oil is put in the bike.
Does the plug get fowled often.
It is possible that the crank seal on the clutch side is leaking causing the tranny to get somewhat over-pressurized.

The vent tube should be the only vent necessary.

go to www.buykawasaki.com to get an exploded picture of the engine.

Joe

Tom H

Sep 5, 2000
Joe,
It is a 1990.
It has never had the crank out, or seal work done that I know of. I bought the bike used about 3 years ago.
The oil (10-30W) is filled half way up the sight glass.
It never fouls a plug. It starts easy.
Really it seems to run pretty good.
A bad crank seal seems to be a logical diagnosis.
How could I verify a bad crank seal on the clutch side before tearing it down?
Thanks for your help.

kdxtaz

~SPONSOR~
Mar 29, 2002
To verify a bad crank seal you (or a dealer/mechanic) must do a leak-down test. Block off tight the exhaust & intake and pressurize the crankcase through the spark plug hole. No more than 7 - 10lbs! If it doesn't hold the pressure for a few then spray soapy water on it (or anywhere else in question) and see where it's bubbling out.

jdbrusch

~SPONSOR~
Nov 11, 2001
I do not think it is a bad crank seal .usually the result of a bad seal is fouling plugs or a least a overly smoking exhaust, the crankcase will actually draw the oil out of the tranny.The tranny does not really produce any pressure to speak of,you wouldn't happen to be checking the tranny level when the bike is on its kick stand which would result in a over-filled tranny.Is the tranny oil the same color after a ride or is it milky looking,this could be a result of a blown water pump seal but would result in a increase of fluid in the tranny and a constant lose in coolant.

Last edited:

BucKat

~SPONSOR~
Mar 27, 2002
jdbrusch has good ideas.
Make sure the level is indeed checked with the bike off the kick stand. Have someone hold it upright or sit on it while you check it.
Drain the oil check it's color. Should look like oil(even if dirty) and not like creamy milly fluid.Are you loosing coolant at all or does he ride in a lot of water.

Let us know
Joe

Top Bottom