Lost first gear the other day. a few ?s

Lokair

Feb 2, 2006
Yea I lost 1st gear, seems like the dog ears are gone. Bike moves good then slips, and repeat. 1st does anyone know of a place I can get some parts for my 1997 YZ 250 transmission , 1 st gear, prolly the shaft , and perhaps a fork( a good bike junk yard perhaps)? Is it worth it to buy new parts for this bike , Its older and I ride it hard, ? Is it an easy swap to goto a 97 WR gear set( would love to do this)? Also need a new clutch(thats prolly what killed my tranny) whats a good set up for this year and style bike? Hinsen ect ...
Thanks all , I would love to be back up and running by June 1 but prolly more likely july 1 is when I will get it er done
Lok

robwbright

Apr 8, 2005
Occasionally you can find stuff like that on the really big online auction site.

You could also search on yahoo or google for motorcycle salvage/junk yards.

ComradeMikhail

Mi. Trail Riders
May 2, 2005
When this happened to my 1995 YZ250, we ordered it from Bikebandit.com. There was also another place that was notably good, but I can't remember the site name..

offroadeast

May 13, 2006
I just finished doing a 99 YZ250 bottom end for a guy that had the same problem. One of the engagement dogs chipped and that let the gear slip enough that it bent the shift fork and rounded the other dogs. The shaft was fine but the fork had to be replaced. As far as the gears went, I TIG welded the drive corners of the dogs and it works fine. You just have to make sure that you pre-heat the gear before welding it and stress relieve it afterwards.

The new fork cost $45.00(OEM Part) and a gasket kit was $50.00. New gears were $100.00 a piece(primary and driven).

I hope this might help.

mxwannabe

May 11, 2005
One time I thought my tranny was toast cause I couldnt shift into first gear but it ended up being the shifter was loose. Sounds like you know what your talking about though so I doubt thats the problem.

Top Bottom