windfall

Trials Paddler
May 1, 2003
My fiance is looking at a '00 DR-Z400 that she likes but it is WAAYYY too tall for her. At 5'2" she's going to have to have it lowered about 2"-3". She wants to use it on- and off-road. My question(s) is; can I drop this bike that much, will I need to get an aftermarket dog-bone and will it seriously affect the handling?
I'd hate to have her get the bike then not be able to ride it.

Robcolo

Jan 28, 2002
Kouba Links are made in different lengths -and they're available for the DRZ - just for that application. I'm 5'-6" and had to lower my KDX a bit using longer links. Unfortunately, if it's ridden hard, it's going to bottom out as you sre simply starting your X" of travel with the swingarm closer to the rear fender. IMO the DRZ is WAY too big & heavy for a 5-2 rider, no matter how much you lower it. a friend, my height & weight traded his KDX for the DRZ - and it beat him to a pulp off road. The thing wallows like a greyhound bus when the going gets rough [and he spent $$$ getting the suspension redone] That lasted 2 rides and he swapped for a KTM 200. Never, ever buy a 4-stroke that's not electric start [the DRZ may be ?] Look at Kaw's KLX as it's considerably smaller and much better handling --electric start ??

rideright

Sep 26, 2002
I think the DRZ's are very good bikes and have a nice power output.

I have several friend that own them and have lowered many of these bikes with great rider feedback.

I know several people who ice race they in the Vet AM class.

If you have the bike lowered, lower it by replacing the shock base plate with a machined plate and always ask for the old base plate back. Many shops try to just throw in a spacer that bangs around and is very low tech and in some cases I have seen much damage.

This goes the same for the forks. Have them lowered by installing a new machined slide component in the bottom of the cartridge, above the rebound/midvalve assembly.

Yes, you will also need to ensure you have the correct springs and will need to have the DRZ revalved for the type of riding you do and specific to all your other details at affect and effect ride quality.

Yes, there are electric start DRZ's.

windfall

Trials Paddler
May 1, 2003
Thanks for the input, I looked at the Kuaba link website and told her about it. She decided that with the 1.75" drop, it would be OK off road, but she didn't think she would be comfortable with it on the street.

Top Bottom