M/XC Headlight install ...help!

justice29

May 5, 2001
I purchased a Acerbis DHH headlight for my M/XC. Any idea what color wires are used for the headlight on the M/XC? Where are they?

There are two wires coming off the back of each bulb of the Acerbis headlight......hot/ground? high/low? There are NO wiring instructions with the Acerbis. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

John

JPIVEY

Sponsoring Member<br>Club Moderator
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 9, 2001
Did you buy the wiring harness and ceramic plug,they are sold separately and I think that is were you'll find the wiring diag.

Also I have been told that the lights won't be as bright because the lighting coil does not put out the same wattage as the EXC.

B

biglou

FYI:

According to my 2001 MXC/EXC brochure, both models have the same wattage lighting coil.
Here is how they are listed:
  • MXC-Kokusan 2k-2 Digital Control, w/Lighting Coil, 12v 110w
  • MXC-Kokusan 2k-3 Digital Control, w/Lighting Coil, 12v 110w
Not sure what the different numbers mean for the units, however (2k-2, 2k-3). I tried to find the post I read that said there were better alternatives to the Acerbis light as far as brightness goes, but couldn't. I believe you can change the bulbs in the Acerbis to higher wattage ones for better results.

JPIVEY

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 9, 2001
Re: FYI:

Originally posted by BigLou
According to my 2001 MXC/EXC brochure, both models have the same wattage lighting coil.

Note to self: don't ever listen to a dealer

riverside

Aug 17, 2001
Wiring

I have installed a couple of headlights on MXCs. The wires should be yellow and located under the tank. You need to run the two of them together as they are 6 volts each. With a/c voltage it will make 12 volts. Another thing you will want to do is install a voltage regulator to keep from blowing bulbs constantly.

PTCruiser

Aug 25, 2000
For that DHH light there's no specific hot/ground. Just run one wire from each bulb to hot and one each to ground. One of the posts about the output is right-the bikes put out about 140 watts, but 100 or so go to charging the battery. You've only got about 40 watts for the headlight/tailight combo. Stock, that DHH has two 25 watt bulbs so you won't get them as bright as you should. Those bulbs can be found at lots of lighting & display stores so you might be able to find a couple of 15 or 20 watt (I would suggest pencil) beams. Careful though; some of these do not come with the protective lens cover.Or you could get some higher wattage bulbs and just run one at a time. Use a switch, try one pencil, one flood beam, experiment that way...

B

biglou

Forgot to ask about that:

Had the two-strokes in my head so I didn't think about the push-button models. I'm at work now and can't remember if the model numbers and wattage outputs hold true for the E-start, four-strokes. I think it is the same, but will have to check when I get home.
Like PTC said, if you are charging the battery that will take some of the wattage away from the bulbs.

JPIVEY

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 9, 2001
Note to self; tear up first note to self,... it's ok to listen to dealers....sometimes:confused:

B

biglou

My short term memory is...

...what was I saying?

I'm pretty sure that they are the same across the board as I listed above. But now I have that little bit of doubt since the E-start thumpers were mentioned.:think I'll know in about three hours!:)

B

biglou

Like I said: My short term memory...

So it took me a day + 3 hours to remember to look this up.
All of the four-stroke models, EXC & MXC, have the ignitions listed as "Kokusan Digital 4k-3b", with nothing listed for voltage or wattage. I'm sure they are 12v systems and the power loss to the charging system would be a significant factor. Sorry I don't have any more info...

TexKDX

~SPONSOR~
Aug 8, 1999
Re: Wiring

Originally posted by riverside
You need to run the two of them together as they are 6 volts each. With a/c voltage it will make 12 volts.

The KTM has a typical AC stator with 2 AC phases for lighting and accessories. The voltage will vary based on RPM. If you'd like a regulated 13.8 volt DC system, then install an AC voltage regulator in line with both phases. If you want a DC system, then run the two phases into a regulator/rectifier. It will output one wire of DC for the system.

The regulator limits voltage to 13.8 volts so that you have charging capability for a 12 volt battery.

Top Bottom