Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
Fred T said:
No what he means is that if the D 15, d 16, d17 d 23 and d 14 officers are not included in this on line conversation nothing will change. (Only one or two are aware of it as far as I can tell) gETTING ALL THOSE GUYS IN A ROOM TO COME TO AN AGREEMENT WILL BE NEARLY A MIRACLE. That's what he means-all the feedback here is useful in showing the guys that make decisions what the riders are looking for. Maybe if it's all printed in hard copy for them to read and discuss at an meeting that would help them. But they all have their personal views on this as well.
The district leads have been discussing this well before I started the thread here. We've been talking about it on and off for about 6 months now (not on public boards). I initiated conversation with the AMA and NEPG about a year ago on this very topic.... Part of that outcome led to D-14 making some class changes for the '07 season. I only started this thread to quickly get some additional feedback from riders. I had planned on posting an online survey so that a lot of midwest riders could provide input... But this got short-cycled once I found out the AMA needs a proposal by mid-August in order for them to consider it for '08.

A link to this thread was sent to the midwest district leaders when it was first posted. I captured a snapshot of the discussion early this morning and forwarded it on to the district leaders. The unofficial cutoff for discussion (for my purposes anyway) was this morning. This is just one of the many inputs I'm looking for to help put together a proposal that works for the districts involved, and also has potential at the national level.

There are still many challenges in doing this, but even if we only implement some small changes that help, we are at least moving forward in a positive direction (not unlike an enduro!).

Cagivaman's comment was, if nothing more, ironic; I certainly could have saved myself a few hundred hours of personal / family time if I would have just sat back, let the clubs continue running their own systems, and posted whatever results were sent to me, when and if they are eventually sent to me.

Thanks for all the feedback guys.... Now it's time to figure out what to do with it!

Last edited:

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
bbarel said:
I I would love to see us get to a barcode or rfid system that can be taken to every event. I would support having the riders fund the system via yearly dues and/or event fees.
Any type of RFID / barcode / {insert technology here} system that electronically captures check scores will have to first be proven out at the national level.

It costs a lot of money and a high-level of technical coordination and know-how to get electronic scoring equipment setup for an enduro event. At the national level they can justify this with sponsorship money, and reuse the system, hardware, and technical personnel at each event. At the local level each event is pretty much a one-off implementation that only happens 1x per year.

What I'd really like is a way to just fund a set of standard laptops for event scoring / signup. This would work, but only as long as I go to each event to get everything setup. Not always practical or possible, and I can't be "that guy" forever without help.

tdunn976

Aug 23, 2003
Boy we do get revved up here don't we?
First let me say,
Smit Dog has taken us to a whole new level and I wish(hind sight always being 20/20) that I had have brought him on board when I started as Chairnman of D14 Enduros.(anyone wanting the job can take it,I'm an elected offical, come to the December meeting and run.) :bang:

Getting the enduro chairs together may or may not be that hard to do. I for one will always try to help enhance the sport of off road motorcycling.and enduros in particular,I'm
sure that a meeting can be scheduled and this discussed. As for an easy solution to bring ALL these districts in to a common alignment that won't happen quickly or easily as each district does have their own unique core of riders.

Ryan has done tremendous thing for the midwest core of enduro riders and his website helped to bring all these districts to common spot to hash out their differences and to inform.

Indiana has been outright great to work with and without them D14 doesn't have much of a series.

Keep the proposals coming. Keep communicating your thoughts
I believe the leadership IS listening and some solutions can be found.
But like anything else change takes time and i would not expect it to change drastically before next season!

Thomas Dunn
AMA D-14
Enduro Chairman

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
UP Magoo said:
"Enduro Lites" 85cc-199cc 2-stroke/125cc-250cc 4-stroke
and
"Enduro Open" 200cc-500cc 2-stroke/251cc-650cc 4-stroke
Fred T says I'm a detail freak and anal-retentive, so did you really mean to state:

"Enduro Lites" 85cc-200cc 2-stroke/125cc-250cc 4-stroke
and
"Enduro Open" 201cc-500cc 2-stroke/251cc-650cc 4-stroke

;)

tdunn976

Aug 23, 2003
Smit-Dog said:
Fred T says I'm a detail freak and anal-retentive, so did you really mean to state:

"Enduro Lites" 85cc-200cc 2-stroke/125cc-250cc 4-stroke
and
"Enduro Open" 201cc-500cc 2-stroke/251cc-650cc 4-stroke

;)
See this is why I needed Smit Dog years ago! :)

xcracer1123

May 30, 2007
I remember reading about a midwest enduro series "the great lakes series" I believe it was called when I was younger. The talk of re-aligning the district classes to all match would be a start to bring this series back !! just a thought to add to this thread

fatherandson

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 3, 2001
Nice thought! We will need some help with gas prices before the series can be restored, but it has been discussed. We already have a website (thanks to Ryan) and if D14 joins Cycle USA coverage (which we should) the print media will also be in place.

Wolverine423

~SPONSOR~
Oct 2, 2005
fatherandson said:
Nice thought! We will need some help with gas prices before the series can be restored
Well we can pretty much count that out forever.

Don Marsh

~SPONSOR~
Jun 5, 2001
Just remenber whatever classes you choose to eliminate......... its just 14 easy miles to the finish.........right Cagivaman

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
Quick update:

1) The AMA has a proposal to present to Congress that would eliminate the 4-stroke class (http://home.ama-cycle.org/congress/public/offroad.asp). The Congress vote is October 4th, with the Board meeting in November to approve/disapprove Congress's proposals.

2) There will be a change to the 2008 National Enduro Series Supplemental Rules to split out the Super Senior class into A/B.

3) D17 will likely propose a Masters class for '08.

4) D15 will likely propose a Masters class, split out Super Senior into A/B, and drop the 4-stroke classes for '08.

After all the discussion with other districts and feedback posted in this thread, I personally don't see a need for any class changes in D14.

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
The Super Senior Class already exists in the rules, so it is just a management change to add the A & B designations, which you will see in the 2008 National Enduro Series Supplemental Rules.

Top Bottom