More XR50 upgrade options and questions.

zcookie49

Seven OUT!
Dec 21, 2000
Have any of you insane, out of control, money spending 50 nuts upgraded your front forks yet?

I have done the usual upgrade to the Applied stiffer front and rear spring, but the Front is still way harsh or we are just jumping larger stuff that it can't handle.

I have looked at the BBR front fork setup, fast 50's forks and some others...The aftermarkets look the way to go since buying new XR70 forks is not cost effective.
I was planning on doing the front forks while adding an I-Shock to the rear with an upgraded swingarm. Should Beefier wheel spokes be added as well?

Also, Classic Honda sells an Auto Clutch set, has anyone used this as well. I have an 88cc big bore on a '00 50, obviously replacing the springs and plates is cheaper, but do they wear faster?

Theres got to be a point where you dont have to spend any more money on these bikes, right?

B

biglou

I tell ya, there's two parts I've been lusting after, but just can't seem to justify dropping the coin on-even in the fantasy motoworld that I live in. They are the BBR Pro Series aluminum frame and the Sano Bombshell forks with the red ano hub and disc brake. Kinda pricey just for tooling around and never leaving the ground, but oh, so desireable! :cool:

JuliusPleaser

Too much of a good thing.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 22, 2000
The Bombshell fork setup (with hydro disc bake and red hub/spokes included) retails for $999. I just saw a set on ebay go for $775.

Have you considered talking to Guy Cooper about a set of his forks?

I bought a new Paioli rear shock on ebay for $110. The same guy had another one for sale last week. I'm happy with it - works very well and is adjustable, too.

I have no idea about the clutch. My 81cc doesn't make enough power to hurt the stocker.

zcookie49

Seven OUT!
Dec 21, 2000
Our most recent parts manager at the local shop left to work for a distributor who carries BBR. They sell their kit without bars for $500 with listing 4" of travel. He has advised us to hold out a little bit, they will be also putting out a 6" travel front end for not very much more, thinking about $600 maybe; in the near future. IF, I decided to beef up, probably would go that route with a paioli rear shock or works performance shock. I cant justify either, spending that kind of money for the PRO frame without actually giving it the abuse it could take.
I just installed the Takegawa rev limiter on the bike this weekend as well; but didnt get a chance to really rev it out to test it yet.
My buddy has already had his HOA contact him about his mini track in the back yard.....

fiveo

Jun 10, 2002
Ok go with an I-shock for the rear. Then Five-o +1 fork legs with heavy duty springs and new inner slidders. I have this set up and it rocks for $350. As for clutch i went with bbr springs for my 88cc kit and it works fine.

Top Bottom