RECENT POSTS

muffler question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok i was bored one day and did some thinking.I dont know much about the differences in tailpipes for bikes and such but here it goes.I was wondering if it would be possible to buy a Muffler for a diffrent bike but the same brand of bike as yours and weld it on to the pipe on your bike.Possible? :bang:

I dont know much about dirt bike exhaust but it would work on a vehicle! haha....but I dont see why not, aslong as you either have an adapter or the pipe is the same size. The only problem i could see is the the mounting bracket thing? might need to modify it or make an adapter! haha ive been thinkin about this too....now which one to try for the ttr 230.. lol

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
Once you weld the muffler to the head pipe how exactly do you plan to get the pipe off the bike for maintenance? They build them in two pieces for a good reason.

Rich Rohrich said:
Once you weld the muffler to the head pipe how exactly do you plan to get the pipe off the bike for maintenance? They build them in two pieces for a good reason.
Well my bike has a slip on exhaust on it. Once i put the new muffler on the pipe,i dont plan on changing it. Besides, isnt the stock muffler welded onto the pipe instead of being bolted? THe only bolt i saw in that area was the purge bolt.

P.S. Oh yeah and Phyte, i forgot about that bracket thing.But i,m sure there is a way to fix that.

thats what i was thinking is about...then i went and looked and it would be easy because you could just adjust the muffler to align with the bracket....

pipe

ok heres my next question, is there something special about the pipe/in the pipe that i dont know of? i mean size of course wll be a difference, but is there something that will interfere with exhaust flow?

like the spark arrestor or the screen or whatever? i dont think so, honestly i think the only thing that would matter is engine size. like if you got a 250 pipe and put it on that wouldnt matter.(correct me if im wrong) or if you got a honda 230 pipe and put it on then that wouldnt matter...cause i believe that all mufflers are rated for power/heat output so if you put a 125 pipe on there it might....break down faster? or i donno something like that maybe haha

Once you weld the silencer on the pipe, and wreck hard enough to maim that silencer (or pipe), will you be asking how to separate the two so that you don't have to buy both?

Also, when it comes time to replace engine parts, the pipe usually has to come off. How hard is it going to be to get the one piece off rather than easily removing two separate pieces?

Finally, most silencers need periodic repacking, which is easier to do with the silencer off of the bike.

Just because you can, doesn't mean that you should. But yes, you could modify a silencer from a different machine to fit (it doesn't even have to be from the same manufacturer) but I don't think that it would be worth the time and effort since you can find a decent aftermarket part that will fit out of the box.

My problem

Well u see, thats my problem i could only find only 2 aftermarket mufflers i found for my bike.If anything i thing the T-4 by Pro circuit would be the choice for me, but FMF makes the Powercore IV slip-on exhaust for my bike too. The prices i got online were $224.99 for the FMF and $299.99 for the Pro circuit one.

I vote for buying the right muffler, but if you must weld, make sure you get a 4 stroke muffler. 2 stroke mufflers and 4 stroke mufflers are designed completely different.

Well, now im thinking its pretty stupid to weld on a new muffler cause i could get a complete system for the price of a better muffler.Then again, i may get more power gains from the better/more expensive muffler.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
D!rtbag said:
Then again, i may get more power gains from the better/more expensive muffler.
It's a TTR230, don't hold your breath.

True

Ur right, but this is gunna be my bike for a while until i pay it off. i got it new bout 2 months ago.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
FruDaddy said:
The muffler won't have as much impact on the torque curve than the headpipe would.
On a TTR230 changing the head pipe will have next to no influence on making additional power. All you will accomplish is shifting the existing power to a new location, nothing more. There is additional power (and noise) in an aftermarket muffler, but the difference is small and probably not worth the high prices that most pipe guys are charging. The exception would be the Thunder Alley muffler that uses a true 8 degree megaphone with a proper 32 degree reverse cone.

Unless the stock headpipe is damaged it's hard to justify the cost of changing it.

Status
Not open for further replies.