Status
Not open for further replies.

D!rtbag

Apr 30, 2007
Ok i was bored one day and did some thinking.I dont know much about the differences in tailpipes for bikes and such but here it goes.I was wondering if it would be possible to buy a Muffler for a diffrent bike but the same brand of bike as yours and weld it on to the pipe on your bike.Possible? :bang:

Phyte

Aug 5, 2007
I dont know much about dirt bike exhaust but it would work on a vehicle! haha....but I dont see why not, aslong as you either have an adapter or the pipe is the same size. The only problem i could see is the the mounting bracket thing? might need to modify it or make an adapter! haha ive been thinkin about this too....now which one to try for the ttr 230.. lol

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Once you weld the muffler to the head pipe how exactly do you plan to get the pipe off the bike for maintenance? They build them in two pieces for a good reason.

D!rtbag

Apr 30, 2007
Rich Rohrich said:
Once you weld the muffler to the head pipe how exactly do you plan to get the pipe off the bike for maintenance? They build them in two pieces for a good reason.

Well my bike has a slip on exhaust on it. Once i put the new muffler on the pipe,i dont plan on changing it. Besides, isnt the stock muffler welded onto the pipe instead of being bolted? THe only bolt i saw in that area was the purge bolt.

P.S. Oh yeah and Phyte, i forgot about that bracket thing.But i,m sure there is a way to fix that.

Phyte

Aug 5, 2007
thats what i was thinking is about...then i went and looked and it would be easy because you could just adjust the muffler to align with the bracket....

D!rtbag

Apr 30, 2007
pipe

ok heres my next question, is there something special about the pipe/in the pipe that i dont know of? i mean size of course wll be a difference, but is there something that will interfere with exhaust flow?

Phyte

Aug 5, 2007
like the spark arrestor or the screen or whatever? i dont think so, honestly i think the only thing that would matter is engine size. like if you got a 250 pipe and put it on that wouldnt matter.(correct me if im wrong) or if you got a honda 230 pipe and put it on then that wouldnt matter...cause i believe that all mufflers are rated for power/heat output so if you put a 125 pipe on there it might....break down faster? or i donno something like that maybe haha

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
Once you weld the silencer on the pipe, and wreck hard enough to maim that silencer (or pipe), will you be asking how to separate the two so that you don't have to buy both?

Also, when it comes time to replace engine parts, the pipe usually has to come off. How hard is it going to be to get the one piece off rather than easily removing two separate pieces?

Finally, most silencers need periodic repacking, which is easier to do with the silencer off of the bike.

Just because you can, doesn't mean that you should. But yes, you could modify a silencer from a different machine to fit (it doesn't even have to be from the same manufacturer) but I don't think that it would be worth the time and effort since you can find a decent aftermarket part that will fit out of the box.

D!rtbag

Apr 30, 2007
My problem

Well u see, thats my problem i could only find only 2 aftermarket mufflers i found for my bike.If anything i thing the T-4 by Pro circuit would be the choice for me, but FMF makes the Powercore IV slip-on exhaust for my bike too. The prices i got online were $224.99 for the FMF and $299.99 for the Pro circuit one.

mkelly04

Jul 27, 2007
I vote for buying the right muffler, but if you must weld, make sure you get a 4 stroke muffler. 2 stroke mufflers and 4 stroke mufflers are designed completely different.

D!rtbag

Apr 30, 2007
Well, now im thinking its pretty stupid to weld on a new muffler cause i could get a complete system for the price of a better muffler.Then again, i may get more power gains from the better/more expensive muffler.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
D!rtbag said:
Then again, i may get more power gains from the better/more expensive muffler.

It's a TTR230, don't hold your breath.

D!rtbag

Apr 30, 2007
True

Ur right, but this is gunna be my bike for a while until i pay it off. i got it new bout 2 months ago.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
FruDaddy said:
The muffler won't have as much impact on the torque curve than the headpipe would.

On a TTR230 changing the head pipe will have next to no influence on making additional power. All you will accomplish is shifting the existing power to a new location, nothing more. There is additional power (and noise) in an aftermarket muffler, but the difference is small and probably not worth the high prices that most pipe guys are charging. The exception would be the Thunder Alley muffler that uses a true 8 degree megaphone with a proper 32 degree reverse cone.

Unless the stock headpipe is damaged it's hard to justify the cost of changing it.

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
Rich Rohrich said:
On a TTR230 changing the head pipe will have next to no influence on making additional power. All you will accomplish is shifting the existing power to a new location, nothing more. There is additional power (and noise) in an aftermarket muffler, but the difference is small and probably not worth the high prices that most pipe guys are charging. The exception would be the Thunder Alley muffler that uses a true 8 degree megaphone with a proper 32 degree reverse cone.

Unless the stock headpipe is damaged it's hard to justify the cost of changing it.
As you have already said, it is a TTR230 :nod:.

I am not trying to argue with you (this time), but wouldn't the shift of power to the higher RPM range be more noticeable than the miniscule improvement of an aftermarket muffler? This is basically what I was saying before. I never said that there would be a significant gain, just that it would impact the curve (which includes moving the peak).

Of course, many (not me) seem to believe that the extra noise is more power. Pushing the curve toward the upper RPM's would probably result in less bottom end, and a weaker feel under the conditions that the TTR is designed to run in. Finally, correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't the TTR bottom end be significantly more prone to grenading if it were tuned for max top end power (more than just exhaust mods, of course)?

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
FruDaddy said:
As you have already said, it is a TTR230 :nod:.

I am not trying to argue with you (this time), but wouldn't the shift of power to the higher RPM range be more noticeable than the miniscule improvement of an aftermarket muffler?

Nope, not in my experience.

The reduction in back pressure that comes with an aftermarket muffler makes a much bigger change in total horsepower up to a point. Removing some of that restriction helps fill in the area under the torque curve. These engines don't have enough cam overlap, or intake cam duration to be particularly sensitive to primary pipe length or area. That same lack of cam timing along with a fairly tame intake port design makes it useless to tune the intake length or exhaust system to a higher rpm. They just don't breath at high rpm without a lot of internal changes.

They are much more sensitive to the restriction and backpressure that comes with the quiet OEM muffler. The stock system is fairly restrictive, so a blind monkey with a torch and a hammer could build an exhaust can that makes a little more power than stock. Making a big difference takes a proper megaphone design that extends the usable wave tuning window and effectively makes the engine "act" like it has a bit more intake duration .

It seems like the majority of the aftermarket pipes for these engines generally make more noise than power. ;)

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
So this is really specific to this engine? My knowledge of general engine tuning (cars, bike, lawnmowers, whatever) has always pointed toward mufflers making small changes in power, but the pipes coming from the exhaust side of the engine, along with the camshaft (if so equipped) and intake tract determining where (and to an extent, how much) the power will occur. Basically, what you are telling me is that the TTR230 is so horribly choked out at the cam, that you can't get it to breath better no matter how short and fat the headpipe is? Sounds like a re-ground (or custom ground) cam would be a much better investment in this bike than any intake or exhaust mods. It would probably make a little more noise too.;)

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
FruDaddy said:
So this is really specific to this engine?

How an engine responds to specific mods is always specific to the engine and it's existing state of tune.

General rules that people seem to cling to are generally useless. ;)

D!rtbag

Apr 30, 2007
So,

WoW i learned about my bike in the thread lol.WEll basically what u guys are trying to say all in all is that i either get the right muffler with little power and burns a hole in my pocket cash wise,Or get engine internals that will burn a hole in my pocket just as big or bigger but has ignificant power gains.Correct? :coocoo:

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
Actually, I think that changing the sprockets out might be more up your alley. It's relatively inexpensive, and doesn't actually change the power, but it does change the feel. Drop 1 tooth on the countershaft, and you should notice the change, but you will sacrifice a little bit of speed. You will only really miss this on the long straights. Oh, and you'll be shifting a little more often.

A better air filter may help a little too, but from what Rich has said, it won't do much with that cam.

Jan 3, 2007
I think another really neat mod would be to take some material off of your flywheel to create a faster reving bike. Also, taking out the baffle, taking out all the air box restrictors and rejetting your bike will give you lots of power for your buck. Now the noise of the bike will increase when doing the exhaust so keep that in mind.

D!rtbag

Apr 30, 2007
noise doesnt bother me

Noise doesnt bother me. Hell, i want my bike to sound like a 4th of july display.lol. But really,i dont have to worry about neighbors since i ride in a secluded area its about a nice mile away from houses and surrounded by trees. i ride up in the coalbanks.I gotta see a good site to do all the modding to my bike without breaking it.

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
D!rtbag said:
Noise doesnt bother me. Hell, i want my bike to sound like a 4th of july display.lol. But really,i dont have to worry about neighbors since i ride in a secluded area its about a nice mile away from houses and surrounded by trees. i ride up in the coalbanks.I gotta see a good site to do all the modding to my bike without breaking it.
Noise bothers everyone else! Many people on this site have been promoting quieter exhaust for some time now and I strongly advise against louder exhaust. Too many riding areas are closed each year because of noise. Please consider a bike with more power before taking a bike with little power and making it obnoxious.

MeanorMX

May 30, 2007
BSWIFT said:
Noise bothers everyone else! Many people on this site have been promoting quieter exhaust for some time now and I strongly advise against louder exhaust. Too many riding areas are closed each year because of noise. Please consider a bike with more power before taking a bike with little power and making it obnoxious.

I support this statement 100%. Loud isn't cooler when it is shutting down our tracks over the country. Think about other people too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom