Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
I just applied MX-1000 for the first time and have a question. I had figured since they talk about it being a dry lube that it would be almost like graphite powder. My bottle was like water almost when it went on. Is this the normal consistency of this product? or perhaps leaving mine in the shed over a Canadian winter has had some effect on the unopened bottle?

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
MX1000 uses a light solvent carrier and other synthetics to carry molybdenum disulfide (moly) to the friction points. The carrier then dries off leaving the moly and other parts of the package remaining on the surface and subsurface of the metals.
Yes, the viscosity is close to that of water. Hard for some to get used to, since MX1000 does not lubricate using the traditional film thickness method, like motor and gear oil does.

Many "dry-film" lubes do in fact add moly powder to a liquid solvent carrier to mfg the lube.
MX1000 utilizes moly that is marketed as "super fine" moly, which actually is moly so fine that has been liquified.
This stuff (super fine moly) is uber expensive and drives the cost of the lube. But the finer the moly particles are, the better it will perform.

MX1000 has components that can discolor when left to sit for long periods of time, however the moly that is left in suspension keeps the fluid a black color and you'd never know that the color changed slightly. Performance is not comprimised with age.

Zenith

Jan 11, 2001
Hey Jaybird, I've been madly trying to get in contact with you to order some more UltraFilm but haven't been getting responses from any of your email addresses, any chance you could email me? (Presume you have my address from before?)

I'm sure it's been said a million times before, but anybody who hasn't tried out this chain lube really should, it's amazing stuff! Don't be put off by the method of application, it only takes a minute and makes no mess compared to the spray on varieties!

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
My bad, Zenith...
Marcus told me you were trying to contact me and I let it slip by. I'll fire you an e-mail.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom