My TOW, allways wear all of your gear.

Reeko

Aug 9, 1999
Man did I screw up last night.
It was a beautiful sunny day, I had to go ride on my track. I know my track really well and haven't wrecked in a long time, so No Chest Protector, I thought I would take it easy.

Anyway, it has rained recently, so most of the track had great traction, but there were deceptively slick sections that had been packed hard from riding all summer. I went for a 25 ft double that I have jumped hundreds of times, but the rear got sideways as I approached the jump. My reactions were not quick enough to brake and skip the double, but I was too slow to clear it.

Needless to say, I hit the face of the 2nd jump (Seemed like slow motion) and went over the bars. I landed on my left shoulder and head (my shoulder now pops when I move it). But, the worse part was that I glanced over my right shouder to see the bike bounce into the air and land right on top of me (man are they heavy). It must have popped into the air some, because there is a perfect round oily ring from the tailpipe on my jersey where it landed on my ribs. I think I cracked one. Did I mention those bikes are heavy?

So, learn from my stupidity, Allways wear your chest protector, even if you are just playing around. Allways wear ALL of your safety gear. You never know when the unexpected will happen.

------------------
Reeko
99KX250
98XR400

alee

Oct 11, 1999
Ouch! Let us know how ya make out with the ribs
frown.gif
I'm scared of Doubles as it is (Have a bad habbit of coming up short) Oh well.

------------------

Arthur Lee
99 KX 125

Shaltac

Sep 16, 1999
My ribs took over 2 mos to heal and I still have a lump where I caught a handlebar. I didn't have a break, hope you don't, see a doctor.
Good luck
rusty

------------------
92 KDX200
Hoping Santa brings me a Y2Kdx 200 or a ZRX1100
Can't wat till bonus time :)

Nov 3, 1999
yup...had a couple broken ribs not from riding, tae kwon-do ....
couldn't laugh..couldn't fart....sex..humph!! Took a long time to heal!!!
I agree, see a Doctor there's not much they can do 'cept wrap you , which hurts on it's own: but they can check to see how badly the surrounding tissue is damaged and give approx. heal times... oh yea and they can prescribe some pain killers... I mean a guy has gotta fart!!!

NickKX250

Sep 30, 1999
I never used to wear any protection when I was riding the DR350, never really did much on it, too heavy. Now that I ride a KX250, man I wear the lot ALL the time. These bikes make you do crazy things like jumps, wheelies, doughnuts I'd by too scared to try anything without the armour. Hope your bikes OK also.

------------------
KX250Nick

Paty

Jun 12, 1999
Seperated my right shoulder coming up short on a small double this past spring. Same way, over the bars onto myhead and shoulder. Had all my equipment on. I hate to think of the damage had I not worn it all. Heal up fast.

Last edited by a moderator:

Reeko

Aug 9, 1999
Thanks for all of the support guys.
I don't think the ribs are broken, just bruised. They are feeling better, except when I twist my body funny, like rolling over in bed.

The shoulder is turning out to be worse than I originally thought. I have a fairly sharp pain between my shoulder blades. I think I probably ripped something in there. I was not planning to go to the doctor, but might if the shoulder doesn't start feeling better soon. (THis is the 3rd time I have fallen on that same shoulder in the last 2 weeks, but this is the worst).

BTW, I took the tractor and tilled up the hardpack slick areas on my track. It looks great, to bad I can't ride.

------------------
Reeko
99KX250
98XR400

SUnruh

Aug 24, 1999
reeko,
sorry to hear about your biff.
by not wearing your gear you should have just yelled out loud, "Watch THIS!"  same result, always.  too bad you're gonna learn the hard way.
my lesson was in '80.  was never allowed to ride in shorts.  guess what?
tried to make a sharp right turn on an off-camber downhill.  yep, 3rd degree pipe burn on my leg near the knee on the inside (we all have those from being a kid).  i think i was grouned for 2 or 3 weeks for that one.

i'll bet you popped the rib muscle away from the bones (have done it twice this year).  plan on 7-11 weeks to heal depending on how much you sneeze, cough or twist and try to lift something.  take it easy and don't ride for at least 2 weeks.

------------------
Steve Unruh - V29 TCHSS
98yz250

Reeko

Aug 9, 1999
This is gonna kill me.
My track had been unrideable due to Zero rain for the last month or so. Way too much dust.
Now we are at the point of some rain with some dry days, after tilling the track is now perfect. It hasn't been this tacky since we built it in June.

Soon there will be too much rain, and the track will be useless until next summer. Man I want to ride.
Also, I had a race planned for Saturday at Woodland. Looks like I will be sitting this one out. That sucks, because I had been finishing better each time. Last week I finished 15th out of 28. That was a huge improvement for me since I am fairly new to MX racing.

------------------
Reeko
99KX250
98XR400

NickKX250

Sep 30, 1999
After writing a rely here not long ago how I don't go riding now without all my gear I went down HARD last weekend. Was riding on a local MX track with my son and the starting straight was seperated from the access dirt track by a white post wire fence.

We were on the track side and my son pointed between two posts and wanted to go riding on the dirt track on the other side. I hit the gas hard heading straight between two white posts not realising there was wire between the posts. When I got real close and saw the wire I knew I was in DEEP SHIT. I was going too fast to stop or steer away and angled the bike sideways a bit so I wouldn't hit the wire head on and lose my head. As I hit the wire I went straight into the white post and my shoulder slammed into the post while my bike was entagled by wire.

The little plastic part of the chest protector that protects your arm took the impact along with the shoulder pad. The rear wheel ended up on my back. The only thought in my head was my brand new bike. After rolling several times I got up and went to rescue my bike pulling wire out of the front and rear wheel. Apart from scratches on the plastic, no other damage was done to the bike. I have a really sore arm, back and ribs funny thing is the pain didn't really set in until that night where I had trouble sleeping because I couldn't move. If it wasn't for that chest protector I would have snapped my arm, broke ribs and damaged my back. Can't wait to go riding again next weekend hopefully without damage.

------------------
KX250Nick

bweighmaster

Jul 15, 2021
Seems like someone should get rid of that wire , or find a better way to mark boundry lines ... maybe flags , streamers , sounds dangerous . As you found out way too late . Get better , get that situation remedied ....

Sep 23, 2021
Would like to share my experience. a year ago got crashed by doing wheelies. Jeans got ripped and had a knee injury but the jacket, gloves, and helmet held up great. I'm still using viking cycle jackets they are good in their products. Definitely advise everyone to wear all gears from a good brand and don't ever do stupid stunts like me.

Top Bottom