mystpkids

Jan 19, 2008
I just bought a nice clean 87 Cr250r on Craigslist for $180.00.I couldn't pass it up. I have a manual on order but I really want to change the oil before I drive it too much. Can someone tell me how much oil to put in the tranny ? I have 14 other Honda's but this is my first 2 stroke . Can someone tell me why there is no dipstick ????? Also should the gas/oil mix be 40/1 ? THANKS..Dave

BigRedAF

Jan 9, 2005
I had a 1986, if I recall 750cc sounds about right. On the clutch side there will be a number followed by cm3. Example, 750cm3, if you see a number like that use that amount in cc's. A 10/40 motorcycle oil will be fine in the tranny. 32:1 petroleum based oil or 40:1 synth will by fine.

yamarider88

Jun 24, 2007
40/1 is fine but a lot of people use 32/1 just for mixing convenience. also there should be a screw on the side with the oil fill hole with a gasket or washer of some sort this is the oil fill hole when oil begins flowing out of this hole while filling it your full. as far as a dip stick goes i don't think anything other than xr's have them.

BigRedAF

Jan 9, 2005
yamarider is correct about the hole but wait a few minutes and let the oil settle before checking with the screw hole. The oil can flow out of that hole before you reach the correct level if it hasn't made it's way into all the spaces in the gear box.

mystpkids

Jan 19, 2008
BigRedAF said:
I had a 1986, if I recall 750cc sounds about right. On the clutch side there will be a number followed by cm3. Example, 750cm3, if you see a number like that use that amount in cc's. A 10/40 motorcycle oil will be fine in the tranny. 32:1 petroleum based oil or 40:1 synth will by fine.

The guy I bought it from gave me a new bottle of Bel Ray gear saver motorcycle transmission oil SAE 80W. That is a far cry from 10/40 motor oil. Are both ok to use ?? . The bike has been sitting for a while so I want to put something in it , run it a bit and drain it out and fill it again to get the gunk out. THANKS

2strokerfun

May 19, 2006
80 weight gear oil isn't that much different in viscocity than 10w40 motor oil. Gear oil and motor oil weights are measured differently.
Both are OK to use for gear box

BigRedAF

Jan 9, 2005
Bel Ray gear saver is fine. I'm not sure how they come up with their 80W claim but it's much thinner than a 80W gear oil for an auto rear end which by the way would kill your clutch!

Honda makes an oil for their CR line that is similar to the Bel Ray too. I simply said 10/40 because that's what the manual called for back in the day.

Two stroke trannys don't get gummed up but a quick fill, run, drain won't hurt anything.

The new stuff is most likely an improvement, good luck...

Top Bottom