Need tip from Guru's on removing tank

May 26, 2005
All right I got a good one for ya. My 03 KDX has never been apart even though I'm it's 3rd owner. I was trying to take the tank off for a through cleaning and inspection and low and behold the nut-sert (brass insert in tank) on the left side is sized. as soon as I put a t handle on it it started to spin in the tank :bang: :bang: :yikes: All the the shroud bolts came right out.

I've tried damn near everything the right side bolt came right out but this left one is done. I can get it plastic welded back in place once I get the tank off but right now I just need to get it out. I can't even Tear the tank out due to the tight fit.

Any ideas guys???? HELP :(

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
I have yet to find a cure for this. My old KDX had the same problem....I fixed it by buying a tank off the auction site.

May 26, 2005
LOL @ 04KDX After it started to spin in the tank I broke out my little Makita cordless impact. I hammered on it till the bolt was hot. I tried wedging every screwdriver and pick I could up against the nut-sert and still no luck.

I can see a replacement in the future but how did you get it OUT of the Frame??? LOL

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
If it's one of the screws in that tank that is spinning, you should be able to remove the tank with the shrouds still installed.

May 26, 2005
no on the KDX at least the 95 to 05 models there are 2 mounting tabs below the top frame rail. it's the bolt in the left side mounting tab. Shrouds are off, this bolt holds the tank in.

captbly99

May 30, 2005
Same thing happened to me on my 95 2 weeks ago :| Same side too!
I was able to wedge a flatend screwdrive with about a 45 degree angle on the end of it against the tank and nut-sert, then used a impact gun on it and it broke loose.
I was on the phone with Jeff Fredette about something else and asked him if it happened often, he said yes and just don't put it back in since the shrouds bolts help hold it all on, he said it wouldn't go anywhere! But, I noticed my right one is starting to do the same thing! :think: Not sure if I should take the chance and ride with both if them out! Major bummer!

captbly99

May 30, 2005
By the way, since Jeff says go for it without the bolt in, then just cut it off and leave the rest of the bolt in the tank. Put it back together and ride :cool:

May 26, 2005
Dremel did the trick. once I cut the head off and removed the washer/spacer the bolt actually unscrewed :coocoo:

I put it back together with just the on side bolt and it moved around a good bit. Once the shrouds were in place though Jeff is right it ain't going anywhere.

PAIN IN THE A#$

On a positive note I did a compression check after I got it apart and I'll be damned if the it didn't have 155psi :cool:

jrs024

Mar 1, 2004
I have the exact same problem!!! Can not figure out how to get that bolt out!!! Even if you cut the bolt off...you can not pull the tank up because of the remaining bolt inside the tab on the frame. Someone mentioned drilling it out??? Is that possible and how?

May 26, 2005
jrs024. Take a dremel tool as it will be a bit smaller and easier to work with than a die grinder. Once you cut the head of the bolt off you can pull the black washer spacer out. With the tank strap off, the right side bolt and washer out and the washer removed from the left side you can pull the rubber grommet out and then there will be plenty of room to wiggle the tank past the mounting tab and frame rail. Drilling it will be a Bitch.

The dremel trick worked. Hell try cutting the head of the bolt halfway off and then put a wrench back on it. I have no doubt the reason the reamaining part of the bolt that came out easily with my fingers after I pulled the tank was due to the heat that built up during the cutting. Heat will probably get the bolt to break free but I wasn't going to put a torch to the bolt head LOL

dlroy101

Aug 19, 2004
My brother had the same thing happen on his KLX. He performed the brilliant move of putting a torch to the bolt and luckily he didn't suffer any repercussions, but I wouldn't advise anyone trying this out. He didn't even drain the gas out of the tank. It did dawn on him later what could have happened. BTW, the bolt did come out with the heat.

Darrell

19Brendan81

Mar 6, 2005
Re torching the Gas Tank - I distinctly remember reading somewhere that a full tank is less dangerous than an empty one. The empty one is filled with fumes that are a) far more volatile than petrol and b) far more explosive. But if I were doing this job, I would drain the tank and fill it with water. The water evaporates out in an afternoon in the sun, my Dad did it this way when welding up a fuel tank for my brothers car.

May 26, 2005
Torching a plastic tank is a terrible idea and not just for the gas explosion issue. You run to high of a chance of melting a hole IMO

If I had one of those bitchin little butane soldering irons they sell on the Snap-on and Mac tool trucks I might have given it a shot since it has a sweet little torch tip included and you can get really nice control of the flame. The only torch I have is a fat daddy Propane setup for soldering copper plumbing pipes LOL. I don't think I want that much heat on the plastic even with the tank drained and filled with water.

Top Bottom