New bike hauler! What would you do?

Masterphil

DRN's Resident Lunatic
Aug 3, 2004
I just bought a new bike hauler:
TheRig.JPG

Yes, it will be repainted. Unsure of color yet.
1982 Ford E-350 with aluminum Penn Stepvan body. White-Hercules DT3.7L Inline 4-Cyl Turbo Diesel mated to a Ford T-19 4-spd manual transmission. On the trip home, running full throttle down the interstate, I got 18MPG. It currently has 4.10 rear gears that limit the top speed to about 55MPH, but since I probably won't be loading it near as much as it is capable of hauling, I plan on fitting 3.55 or 3.73 gears in the near future to get me some more speed on the highway.

Here's a view of the drivers seat:
RigFront.JPG

Not the most comfortable thing to drive, but not having to load and unload a truck every time I go to the track will be worth it!

Here are a couple of shots from the back:
Rigback.JPG

rigback2.JPG

It currently has a rollup door that I plan on replacing with a fold down gate. I'm going to install a wall mount AC unit, or RV unit, haven't decided yet. I'm going to put flap curtain in the back to help hold the AC in. I have a wall mount propane heater that I'm going to mount, haven't done that yet. The bike goes in sideways all the way to the rear of the truck. That gives me lots of room for sleeping, and other things, with the bike still in the back. I also plan on putting another mount in the back for a second bike, but haven't gotten that far yet. I'm thinking of putting hooks into the ceiling and using hammocs for sleeping, but that recliner is damn comfortable, too.

What do you guys think? I'm open to any suggestions for racking or other storage tricks that ya'll are using in your trailers. I've got so much stuff to fit in there still.

Masterphil

DRN's Resident Lunatic
Aug 3, 2004
It's already got a urinal. See that funnel by the front door. I like the idea of a closet, and forgot all about a workbench.

dnchevyman

Dec 27, 2005
an outdoor shower??? they work great, when we go to the middle of nowhere sanddunes, the smaller campers and toyhaulers that don't have inside bathrooms use them. also... propane powered kitchen stove for cooking, or a generator and a microwave and a FRIDGE!!!!

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
I like the white board and the fact that your funnel is curved so the drips don't splash on the truck while underway. A real nice touch.

I would leave the roll up door and put a fold down ramp made of tubing and expanded metal on the rear bumper. Double the security then.

I would put all shop stuff, tool boxes etc. in the rear, so they cannot be seen through the front windshield.

E line horizontal and vertical. Vertical in front of and behind your bike and you can put a platform over the bike for a bed.

http://www.kinedyne.com/kaptivebeam/kaptive-beam.asp

12 volt demand pump, water tank, grey water tank. I would not fool with black water, just get a chemical toilet.

I like the cup cakes. I would leave them.

dales298

Mostly Useless
~SPONSOR~
Nov 25, 2003
I just can't keep the truckdriver in me quiet! A good seat will make that delivery drive better (or seem like it anyway), and a bulkhead between the driver and his stuff for safety.

Nice Truck!
Dale

SpeedyManiac

Aug 8, 2000
Workbench, storage cupboards, fold down wall mounted bed, gear closet, mini fridge, water tank, generator, AC, air compressor, the list can go on and on. That's going to be a sweet bike hauler!

kmccune

2-Strokes forever
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 3, 1999
Sweet, my brother had one of those way back in the day, it worked out very well, accept he didn't change the gearing (good idea though cause it had the same top end problem)

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002

mx547

Ortho doc's wet dream
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2000
those type of rigs were real popular around here with the motocrossers in the late 80's. you don't see them much anymore since everyone has mortgaged their lives away with motorhomes and toy haulers.

Green Horn

aka Chip Carbone
N. Texas SP
Jun 20, 1999
Yes, I agree with Tony. Leave the cupcakes.

mtk

Jun 9, 2004
RV air conditioner, for sure. They're designed to bounce down the road, unlike household side-mount units.

If you repaint it, paint it white. Any other color will make your AC unit work that much harder.

kmccune

2-Strokes forever
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 3, 1999
Toilet problem solved.... he's a guy, there is no tolet problem.... ever! :ohmy: :laugh:
OK, better half may want something more then brush or an open door :laugh:

MXGirl230

Stupid tires and trees
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Dec 19, 2002
What's it have for lighting? For our enclosed we installed 2 2' long fluorescent lights which we run off of a power supply box. Found the lights at Menard's for $20 each.

Oh yeah for sure leave the cupcakes!!

Timr

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 26, 1999
Hey, if it doesn't work out as a bike hauler...you could always take up "Storm Chasing" :)

Wasn't that truck in the movie twister?

mojonito

Aug 24, 2005
a ladder so you you can sit on top after your races and enjoy sunsets, entertain others, heckle people...

HajiWasAPunk

Aug 5, 2005
dude, that thing is awesome! Was the Mystery Mobile not available?!! :)

That's a cool option I hadn't thought of. If you don't mind sharing, what do you have to give for it? What made you go with that instead of an inclosed trailer?

Masterphil

DRN's Resident Lunatic
Aug 3, 2004
$1650.
#1) I couldn't MAKE a descent trailer for that.
#2) The truck will payfor itself getting 18-20MPG while my truck gets 12MPG, and Diesel is now cheaper than gasoline, AND the mileage would have been even worse pulling a trailer. At the current gas/diesel prices where I live, the truck would pay for itself in 15000 miles, not counting the fewer oil changes that a diesel requires.
#3) I can sleep, work, eat, and drive without going outside the vehicle. Can't do that with a trailer, or any pull behind vehicle. It is also much easier to switch drivers. If I absolutely had to, someone else could drive while I fixed/worked on the bike on the way to the track.

I'll get you guys some more pics up tomorrow. So far, I've added a fold down bench, cabinet for oil/etc., boot retention system, mounted a stand holder, and mounted a 5-Gal drinking water container to the wall. I've been busy!

GETMETOCA

Can't Wait For Tuesdays
Mar 17, 2002
I think that rig absolutely ROCKS! Here's what I'd do:

• Fold down bed - fer sure! Try to make it a double for when you have company ;)
  • Definitely invest in a cool paint job. Personally, I would paint the KTM and Captain Morgan logo all over that thing.
  • Kitchen basics: Two burner stove, cabinets for cookware, and a small fridge.
  • Flooring. I would do the black and white checkers, OR just some nice linolium with sweet flowers
  • Little Shop Rack: Holder for paper towels, shelf for lubes and cleaners, place for tool box
  • Tire Guides and tie down hooks for securing the bike(s)
  • Invest in a cool "Captains" chair for the drivers seat. Get a small love seat with seat belts for guests!
  • Attache lighting to the outside of your rig for lighting up the pit area at night for the post-ride bench racing
  • Get cool mud flaps
  • I would definitely create some type of rooftop oasis for watching the show. Need a ladder as another has mentioned!
  • Attach an awning to the side of the rig
  • Licence Plate: MSTRPHL

That thing is awesome! I wish I had one too. :nod:

mtk

Jun 9, 2004
Just make sure you have your fuel well-secured and sealed inside. Riding with gas fumes gets really old after a while.

Top Bottom