firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
Well my little brother piled up his pickup and bought a car, and is moving to an apartment on the other side of the state, so I got custody of his old Yamaha. It is a 1980 DT 400. Kind of beat up, and as I recall both wheels were visibly bent, but it ran well and started without a problem. So tires, which I have covered, inner tubes, seat cover, etc are all it needs. My brother just put a new chain and sprocket on it.

I don't know that much about the bike--I did ride with my brother once and it seemed to run just fine. I'm excited to have another bike to take friends (primarily my boyfriend) riding with me!

Sawblade

Timmy Timmy Timmy!
Sep 24, 2000
Cool! A new bike in the garage no matter the age makes you feel like a kid at Christmas time! :) Now tag that old DT and commute on it to work and back.

firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
Originally posted by Sawblade
Now tag that old DT and commute on it to work and back.

Umm . . . not too sure about that. I've always kind of imagined myself on something a little . . . less rusty . . . when I do get a street bike.

However, I am really looking forward to getting the bike. Actually getting plates would be cool but I am not sure I can get a title for it--my little brother traded some truck parts he had for the bike, and the kid he got it from bought it at a yard sale, and who knows where it came from before then. I'll fill out a lost title application anyway just to see.

Hondaxrguy

May 17, 2001
Seatcover? You mean you don't like the brown foam, with yellow rope wraped around it? :p I'd say that's a good bike for people to learn on. A low seat hight is less intimidating.

Jeremy

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
from what I remember of the DT400, it can be a tad intimidating. Remember, we're talkin' a 2 stroke 400 here. Back then it was a detuned IT400. There's some snort in them ol' bikes.

firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
That's true, but I think he'll do okay--he's not a total beginner, and we'll start somewhere easy.

Jon K.

~SPONSOR~
Mar 26, 2001
Not sure which year; but I had a little experience with some sort of DT400. It had a flywheel about ten inches across. If you rivved it up, it would take about ten minutes to come back down to idle. Brrr-aaap; ding, ding, ding, ding-ding-ding, ding, dinga ding ding. The one I had was a tractor!! Might have been mid-seventies though.

Danman

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 7, 2000
I have a 79 DT175 in my garage. Its a realy smooth bike. Its all stock. Check out Ebay for parts. Lots of them floating around.

Top Bottom