bmcd308

Feb 9, 2007
I just bought the last 06 KDX200 in West Tennessee as a replacement for my recently stolen DRZ-400, partially as a result of all the stuff I have learned on this forum. It is my first 2T since 8th grade. I'm pumped.

I'll be reading through the FAQ threads further to try to keep myself from looking like an asshat.

Ewetah

Jun 29, 2007
Great!

Sounds great and I am sure you will have fun with that 200. I am new here as well and find this to be a fantastic site with a plethora of information.

As time goes on it would be great to get your thoughts on how the bikes compare. A riding buddy of mine has a DRZ 400 and he loves it.

Enjoy.

glad2ride

Jul 4, 2005
You lucky bas.. I mean congratulations!

One thing you probably won't find in these threads is to check the air filter to make sure all the foam air filter oil has not evaporated off the filter. New bikes that have been sitting there for a year or so may have this issue. The 2008's are coming out now, so your bike may have been there for two full years.

Be sure to check on the linkage / swingarm / steering bearing grease, check spoke tightness after a couple of rides, use proper break-in procedure, etc.

Good luck and again, congratulations on your new bike!

bmcd308

Feb 9, 2007
I have done the break in rides as described in the manual, but I am not planning on pulling the head to emery cloth the cylinder.

After its last break in ride, I rode the bike what I would call normally for about 30 minutes. This was still pretty low intensity riding, and I never wound it out at all, but I will say that I absolutely love it. Its front end seems way lighter than that of the DRZ, and it handles sand way better. Its claimed weight is 60 pounds lighter than the DRZ's, but it feels like it weighs half.

It sounds and feels the way I think an off road motorcycle oughta.

The DRZ was a great bike, and it probably the most dirt worthy of the low maintenance dual sports, but it was very heavy. This bike is way better.

I'll check out the air filter before I ride again (was planning to anyway, but thanks for the tip) and will change tranny oil and check on bearings and spokes, as well.

Top Bottom