not sure if the crf250 will have the power....

m4i2k2e2

Oct 8, 2007
im coming off a 99 cr250r. i was looking at 05-06 crf250r's. i looked at specs and it said that the 125 two strokes have more horse power then the crf250r. is this true or was the website wrong. i was watching videos and they seem to tote the riders around very well. im just unsure of the power. i will be riding trails that will require me to be able to climb a steep hill from 5-10mph. im also worried about raping the rev limiter.
i do however like the fact that is alot lighter then the 450. and im afraid of overheating the 450 if the trails get to tight. i also might race this summer. guys, if i could get some advice from people that have ridden 250 2 strokes and ridden 250 four strokes and how they compare to each other.

right now i ride trails, decently wide, muddy, hills. i also ride big open pits with sand and hills. i would like to try racing this summer. im 20 years old and 170lbs. i ride decently aggressive. i dont want to spend more then 3300.00 dollars. thanks for any and all help.

-mike.

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
I am the same size as you. I got back into riding a few years ago on an 02rm250. I loved it out in the open, but when we hit the tight trail or arena cross track it was alot more than I needed. I decided to sell it and try the 250f. A buddy of mine bought the rm so I get to ride along side it all the time. My 250f actually drives harder out of corners. It's a traction thing. The RM gets it in the mid-top though. The 250f isn't like a 125 where it makes no low end, they're tractors making power all through the range while building smooth controllable boost. The RM was definately more of an adrenaline rush with the hit in the midrange.

You mentioned sand. This is one place the 250f may let you down. There's a huge gravel pit we ride at from time to time that has some sand. The 250f seems to struggle through it a bit. Not to mention if a few grains of that sand make it into the engine it can be very expensive. The main cause of valvetrain wear in these little thumpers is dirt getting in.

If you're looking at a used 250f keep in mind pretty much every moving part needs periodic replacement. For 3300 I would expect to be looking at 05-06 models with 100-200 hours on them. If they have closer to 200 they should have new crankshafts, topends, and most likely valves. If the valves have been shimmed more than twice they should be removed and inspected. That's usually a sign of seat wear or stem stretch which requires a complete head rebuild. Just be very cautious, this is good opportunity for karma to get ya back.

m4i2k2e2

Oct 8, 2007
that was alot of good info, thank you very much for the help. right now i found an 07 crf250r for 3500.00 bucks. he claims there very low hours on it. im also looking at a 2005 cr250r that the guy wants 2900.00 for. its all stock and is in showroom condition.both bikes are all stock and i like buying bikes that are all stock. i have a 99 cr250 that im going to rebuild so it wouldnt make much sense to have to 250 2 strokes. what do you think?

-mike.

m4i2k2e2

Oct 8, 2007
its blown up and i have to rebuild it first. when i buy the new bike im gonna order the parts for my cr so i can have the best of both worlds. its a 99 buts a nice bike. i wanna try a four stroke and i think im gonna race this summer. i can handle the cr in the pit and trails fine but, i feel as though i would have more confidence on a smaller bike when i begin to race.

-mike.

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
I see no point in having 2 250 2 strokes.

Any used 250f is a gamble. I would take it in and have a leak-down test done, then pull the top end and measure the piston skirt. The valve springs are cheap insurance at about 5 bucks a pop and that will give you an opportunity to visually inspect the valve and seat. This will all help you get an idea of what's involved in maintaining the bike and how it works.

m4i2k2e2

Oct 8, 2007
thank you. i was look a 2007 crf250r. it was a nice looking bike from what i could see. but, he sold it. ive been keeping an eye on this 2006 crf450r. he wants 3000.00 for it. i asked him to explain to me what he did for maintenance and what he has he done to the bike or replaced. meaning valves and all that good stuff. im buying a bike this weekend. i just dont know if i will feel as though the 450 is to much. im still looking at other bikes.

i found an 04 crf250r, was that a good year for those bikes? is there certain years i should stick to? and, what is a leak down test? thanks for all your help.

-mike.

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
I think a 450 is crazy for 75% of the people out there. They will go longer on engine parts, but can and do break as well. I would get hurt with one.

There hasn't been alot of changes to 250f over the years. Pretty much the same engine with updated porting, cams, valve springs and some cylinder changes.

The statement you made about "buying a bike this weekend" might not be the best idea. Don't jump into something because you have money burning a hole in your pocket. Hold out for a really clean low hour bike if you plan to keep it long and ride it alot.

The leak-down test will check the combustion chamber seal by pressurizing it and watching the pressure drop. It can be very useful in diagnosing burnt valve seats, leaking rings, or any other condition effecting the ability to seal the combustion chamber. If there is leakage you can actually pinpoint it to intake or exhaust valves or ring seal by simply listening to where the air is escaping.

m4i2k2e2

Oct 8, 2007
thanks joe. i have been looking a while before i posted this thread. the only bikes im after are really clean stock bikes. i found an 08 crf250r and he claims he bought it for his son which is to small ride it. which it does a cut seat so.... but he says it has less then 20 hours it and he will let it go for 3800.00. im really interested in that. i wont just buy any bike. ive made that mistake before. i will give the bike a through and through inspection. im gonna throw it on a stand and check all bearings, check for leaks any signs of abnormal wear and tear. im gonna have him remove the seat so i can see how he left the airfilter.

joe, thanks for that info that was awesome. now can i do that myself or do i have to have a shop do it? thanks again for your time.

-mike.

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
You would need an air compressor and a leak-down test kit. If you have it done when you have it apart to check valve clearances a shop shouldn't charge much. I take mine in with the bodywork off and the spark plug hand tight, that way it only takes them about 10 minutes.

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
The wide ratio tranny and choked up motor make the 250x feel very weak to a guy coming off a 250 mx bike.

The 450x will be comprable in grunt to a 250 smoker, but will feel a good bit porkier.

m4i2k2e2

Oct 8, 2007
i also would like to to try racing motocross. i rode an 05 or 06 450x. my cousin has an 01 xr400 and they are in the same weight range and its way to heavy.

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
motorcycle-leather said:
I would go with the 250X. It has plenty of power and can keep up, it is lighter and not as intimidating, it has plenty of handle and it is very stable at high speeds.
Did you read his post? He wants to race mx. The 250x is a lousey choice for the mx track.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Depending on who is sanctioning the mx races, that 250f could be racing against a 250 smoker. 2 or 4, when you buy it, you should make sure the engine is tight. The leak down test is pretty solid information, they should not object to you testing it before you buy it.

m4i2k2e2

Oct 8, 2007
im not saying its a bad bike by any means. but a harescambler and a motorcross track require to very different bikes.

joe- i would probably do some work to the bike and get it in top notch condition for when i race.

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
It's a good idea to start fresh on the top end at least. If your going to buy a piston kit you might as well go high compression. Nice boost for a couple extra bucks. Once your certain it's all fresh and tight take the time to experiment with the jetting. They respond well to proper brass.

Once you get the bike dialed in you can focus on you. The 250f is very easy to ride. It will do pretty much whatever you ask it to and won't do too much you don't want it to. That was my problem with the 250 2 stroke, it wanted to go faster than I did, lol.

m4i2k2e2

Oct 8, 2007
yea, exactly. i mean my 250 was awesome in the wide open sandy pits and climbing big hills. even in the trails. but when i would try berms and what not it would be an animal. maybe it was me, i tend to be heavy handed. thanks again for all the help.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
If you take that 250 2 stroke, and send the top end to Forward Motion, have Eric make the bore a little bigger, and port it for you, it will pull solid off bottom similar to a 4 stroke. Your old 250 smoker is more comparable to the 450f than the 250f. The 250f is comparable to a bored out 125, a 144! The nimble feeling of the 125 does get lost to the 250f's lazy powerband, that seemingly never quits pulling! A look at a dyno comparing the 450f, 250f and 250 is really amazing. I think I seen it in the last Transworld magazine, I just look at the pictures anyways.

m4i2k2e2

Oct 8, 2007
yea, im keeping the 250 2 stroke just ride pits a trails and just because everyone needs a 2 stroke in there life. it will be difficult to handle that on a track. i will be learning how to race. i wanna give a 4 stroke a shot. i feel as though i will be faster on a lighter less wild bike. ill be able to ride it rather then it telling me where im going to go.

-mike.

Top Bottom