2-Strokes 4-ever

~SPONSOR~
Feb 9, 2005
Missouri
Occasional flare-ups of sciatica (spelling?... herniated disc in back that sends pain down leg) sent me to the Dr and Chiropractor a little over a year ago. Upon x-rays, the Dr said I've got some arthritis going on in my lower back, and boy have I felt it progress over the last year. I know there's no real cure for arthritis, but what are the best over the counter meds to take off the "stiff" edge.
Thirty years of construction work I guess...
(Couldn't POSSIBLY be the riding) :think:

2-Strokes 4-ever

~SPONSOR~
Feb 9, 2005
Missouri
Was doing ibuprophen for the swolen muscle/disc issue only.... I'll look into it though.
Thanks

medwaste

Dec 1, 2006
Any anti-inflammatory such as ibuprofen or naproxyn should help but activity is the best. I can barely unscrew the cap off a jar but don't notice any deficits using the clutch, brake or gas on my bike.

Dirtymotonut

Crazy Ole Bag
~SPONSOR~
Jul 28, 2008
I have the same thing in my lower spine. The doctor has me on Darvaset and methacarbamol.It works for me only in the morning. They tried Lyrica at night but it woked for a few days and back to where I was. Sucks bad to have a bad back! I find riding dirt bikes has totally made me forget all the pain from it unless I crash but nothing has fixed it but dirt bikes! :nod:
I need a fix......Wheres my bike!!!! :laugh:

2-Strokes 4-ever

~SPONSOR~
Feb 9, 2005
Missouri
medwaste said:
but don't notice any deficits using the clutch, brake or gas on my bike.
Me neither.... Strange how that works. :cool:

Rooster

Today's Tom Sawyer
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 24, 2000
I too suffer from the Sciatic pinch in my lower back. I get pain and numbness all the way down to my foot at times. The ONLY thing I have found is to stretch out my lower back and legs when it flares up. The more active I am, the less I feel it.

There are several websites out there with different exercises for Sciatica, however I have found that sitting up and crossing the affected leg over with my ankle on the opposite leg and pulling the affected leg up towards my neck really stretches out the nerve.

I know of two people that have had surgery to relieve the pressure from the herniated disc ... same story with both of them, it wasn't worth it.

Reesknight

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2002
I know what you mean. I sold my bike (again) last summer because it was hurting too much to ride. I have arthritis and a degenerated disk (bone on bone) and hoping to avoid surgery. I'm getting the fever to ride again so I'm considering an inversion table. Anybody have any experience with them?

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Did you ever see the Simpsons, when Homer found the bend your back over the barrel episode? I heard a story about a small piece of metal placed in between the discs. In another bad back thread no less!

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
I got an inversion table but it didn't help me. It wasn't until later that I found out that I had completely blown out 2 discs and broken one of the vertebra. I think it might help if you just have a herniation that might retreat back into the disc when you relieve the pressure.

MXSparx

Mr. Meltsomeglass
Jul 25, 1999
NoVa
Etodolac 500mg generic for Lodine. Prescription. Its an anti inflammatory
1 in morning
1 in evening
Its a mild drug and is ok for prolonged use. Does not cause organ failure like lots of inflamatories do.
Doc has me on it and I can tell the difference. Says to put off surgery as long as I can stand it and Etodolac is definitely helping. My left leg goes numb when standing or walking if I don't take it. And it has no stoner side effects like my pain pills do :whoa:
just my thoughts.

2strokerfun

May 19, 2006
Doctors operate everyday on people because of spinal arthritis (stenosis). Often, they do a fusion. However, since I see the results of this everday in my job, I declined surgery about 5 years ago and just live with it. A great decision. However, if you get significant nerve impingement (hits the sciatic nerve, causing that unbearable pain into hip and leg), sometimes surgery is the only hope. I got lucky and the herniation backed off the nerve after about 12 weeks of pain I couldn't live with forever. Back still hurts bad once in a while. I can't carry loads as long as I used to; can't play with kids as long as I used to; cant stand or walk as long as I used to; but I can still do everything I used to, within reason and for shorter periods of time. Occassionally, I'll get a numb or twitching calf muscle, but nothing like what it was.
You are correct, that there is no real "cure" for stenosis. If you smoke, quit. That alone will often make a difference in the blood flow to the lumbar disks. Exercises and OTC pain meds are really about all you can do (most prescription pain meds just make me (more) stupid and itch). Getting older certainly sucks, but it beats the alternative!
Our bodies do have a great ability to heal themselves to a point.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
I was concerned about the tingle and burning shooting down my left arm. MRI did show compression in the neck, 5 places. The Lyrica did help, then it came back, kinda? An electrocution test showed carpel tunnel, nice. And a simple x ray showed the arthritis in my spine. I have not had a bad flare up in some time now, knock on real wood! But, when it goes out while wiping my butt on the toilet is a real bummer! Even if I get one of them "seemingly gay" 2500 dollar automatic bidets, still have to dry? How do you limit or watch what you do? If its going to go, it goes? I really like the sound of placing a piece of metal in between the spine to keep from pinching. At this particular time in the economy, not a good time for a long recovery? Road trip to Chicago Hospitals is getting closer!

Agent 007

Dec 30, 2008
I also have a bad back and neck. I am in pain everyday and I am only 26 years old. Stretching sometimes helps a little, but nothing blocks the pain as much as the painkillers I have been on for a long time. Surgery is not even an option for me right now, especially because I am self-employed and I don't have insurance. The worst part is that I rely on these painkillers everyday to get me through the day. The good part is that they do help block the pain and allow me to function on a daily basis. It's the circle of death.

Vintagesplash

Oct 29, 2005
I have a herniated disc and a healed crushed/compression fracture of my L2 vertebra. I have sciatic pain also.

I have had abdominal surgery and can only take Tylenol, no NSAIDs. My life is never without lower back pain, but the best ting I have ever found is to sit on the edge of a hard chair, place my hands behind my head and bend foreward until my head iis between my knees. I hold that stretch for 10-15 seconds and repeat this 4-5 times.

It also helps to have an exercise ball. Sit on it and just work your hips around in circles and figure eights.

Top Bottom