Oil you all use?? Gas Ratio running

hdhamou

Oct 9, 2004
I have a 2001 KDX 220 that I just bought. I am changing the oil tom. and am wondering what you all use? The previous owner said it was on Synthetic, but didnt know what brand or weight. I remember my 97 KDX 200 I had years ago had to run on gear oil or the clutch would slip. Also, the previous owner ran 24:1. It has the FMF pipe and silencer setup. What do you all run with this setup? Im just worried that its going to gunk up the Kips system fast since I can wipe my finger across the pipe in the back and I get black oil all over it. Thanks to all.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
I presume you are talking about tranny and premix? You don't say, but clutches and 24:1 aren't related too much.

If you had clutch slipping problems before, there was some other problem...like using 'gas saver' oil or somesuch. The kdx runs just fine on regular motor oil.

Use gear oil if you like. It's your bike.

If the previous owner knows it was synthetic, but doesn't know what it was...then it's doubtful he 'knows' it was synthetic.

It's a good idea to keep it the same as it was, though.

24:1?

What was the thinking behind that? Well, the more oil-per-gallon, the more power, but at some point it gets ridiculous. Kawi rec is 32:1. No reason 40:1 isn't just fine. You will likely hear from the amsoil 100:1 crowd...better them than me.

Asking 'which oil' is a waste of time. Everyone uses what is 'best' and if you don't use the same thing..there must be something wrong with you.

Point is, yanno...opinions and all..everyone has one.

Since you asked.......
I use valvoline motor oil in the tranny 30w winter/40w summer. Maxim SuperM @ 40:1

That's my opinion. Of course, if you don't run the exact same thing...there must be something wrong with you! ;)

gjc32

Jan 9, 2004
Ran Yamalube at 32:1 as recommended. Little gunk on pipe. Am switching to amsoil. Use it in my boat and snowmobile and everything is great. Will probably go 40:1 as that's what's suggested. Good luck.

Top Bottom