WaltCMoto

Sponsoring Member
Jan 1, 2001
Well its been 3 years since I went over the bars and broke a few ribs. So last night I launch again in my own special superman way. I must have landed on my shoulder, cause theres this big bump coming out the top and a whole lot of pain (but only when I move). How I landed is a mistery becuse I rung my bell and dont remember it at all. Last night my head cleared up and I fiquered just a good bruise to the shoulder. This morning, no improvement to the shoulder, so off to the Doc I go tomorrow. Missing work stinks, cuse of dead lines and such. Im a machinist so I use my arms-shoulders all day to move stuff around, so Im sidelined for the time being, boss isnt to happy about this one. Ill update after Doc appt on friday.
Walt

WaltCMoto

Sponsoring Member
Jan 1, 2001
Just got back from the doc. separated shoulder in laymans terms. separated A-C to be exact, this is where the collar bone meets up with the bone on end of shoulder. the 2 bones should be about an 1/8 inch or less apart, held together with ligaments. Ive streched those liaments so the 2 bones are a half inch apart. Arm in sling for 6-12 weeks, 80% chance of full recovery in this time. Thats good and bad news all in one. IF I elected surgery to tighten up the ligaments, same recovery perriod with 85% chance of full recovery, plus all the added risks and cost that go with a surgery. So I talked to the boss and Im goin back to work on Tuesday, after the 3 day weekend and going on light duty for as much as I can handle, Im hoping for 30 hours a week. Gotta make a livin ya know. :ugg:
Ive got a check up in 3 weeks and Im hoping for the 6 week senerio. The bike should be real clean by then.

Walt

SonnyG

May 23, 2003
But why did you go over the handlebars in the first place ? My son Jeremiah just recently started doing that in the last month on his YZ85. I have made him start lifting weights. He is 14 years old. At first it was funny. Then he started getting real dangerous with his acrobats. Any helpful hints?

WaltCMoto

Sponsoring Member
Jan 1, 2001
The best I can fiquer is that my front end droped into the whoops sending me out of control. My best advice is to not ride over you head. Which was the case in both of my injury dismounts. It had been 3 years since my last injury crash and maybe I was over confident, therefor willing to push the limit a bit to much. I "usually" ride well within my limits and back off when I feel tired or squirely. Damn, Im to old for this stuff.

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
Originally posted by WaltCMoto
Damn, Im to old for this stuff.
BULL HOCKEY!!!!
If I aint to old you sure aren't.
Sorry to hear this Walt. I have had shoulder surgery in the past and altho easier to recover from then the knee I would first try the non surgical rehab.
If you can do it in a couple days try to keep it exercised. Try bending at the waist and letting your arm hang loose then slowly and gently start it swaying side to side, front to back and in circles. Also try usiong your fingers to walk like a spider up a wall going only as far as there is no pain.
Good luck on a quick recovery- at least the boys are outa school soon and can wash the bikes.

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
Damn, Walt! 6-12 weeks is gonna be a long time. It's been 10+ weeks since I tore my rotator cuff and it feels like it's been 6 months. I hope you're the 6 week scenario. Like Dave said, do your stretches and exercises and hope for the best.

WaltCMoto

Sponsoring Member
Jan 1, 2001
Every day theres a little less pain and a little more strength and mobility. I here what every body is saying about rehab, stretching and all, BUT my doc said to keep it as still as possible in the sling for as much as possible. See me in 3 weeks. He did say I could take it off for showering.
So today I go to work and Im a machineist. Luckily Ive got a light duty project right now. But I cant beleive how much it slowed me down and how sore it got in 4 hours.
Thanks for the encouragement.

Nikki, I need some parts for my sons yz, so I fiquer Ill look up Pro Sources web site and get some info on the store. I do a search on Yahoo for Prosource yamaha and what comes up as the first choice? NIKKI D and your article. Dang, your famous.

Top Bottom