ssuperbike

Dec 5, 2000
Do any of you have any recomendations for an oversize tank for a 00 426? I heard some bad stuff about the zipty tank. Is the quality control up to par now? It looks like iy would get the weight lower. What about the clark tanks? I had one on my honda it was cool. I am going up to the national enduro in Wolverine this weekend and want to order it tomorrow so I will have it. Thanks dudes! ----Mike

webbrace

May 18, 2000
I run the satndard IMS tank. Not the Zip ty tank. I didnt want to hassel with the choke and all that. The standard big tank that IMS makes works great. Fits right on and no problems so far.
Good Luck

xr600r

Apr 15, 2001
i had a 3.6 gal. tank on my yz250 , fit good , good quality , and alot
cheaper than an ims .
ovid ? where the hells that ? lol
:D

ssuperbike

Dec 5, 2000
Hey neighbor! I think I may get the clarke. I just found out I don't need a tank this weekend. I orderd a head light, tail light and pressure switch. I will have my plate soon. Are you going to ride the Stump jumper this weekend? Where do you go riding? drop me a line. Where is Ovid, It is that Mecca of civilazation 10 miles to your east ;)

Hick

Aug 15, 2000
I had an opaque IMS on my ’00 YZ, worked fine, right side-only petcock cleared my high and very large PC header and I have no real complaints. Some people criticize the fact that they only use one of the two mounting bolts (right side I think) but this was never a problem. I raced it, rode it, abused it for about 18 months, by which time it was no longer opaque, but yellowish brown all over. That seems to happen to all opaque tanks eventually.

Then, for no real good reason other than not wanting to put that ugly thing on my new ‘01, I shelled out for an Acerbis tank, white instead of opaque. I originally wanted the Davis model but they were on backorder, and once I saw an Acerbis in person I decided to get it instead.

It probably isn’t as slim as the Davis tank, but it must be close, it is noticeably slimmer than the std. IMS model. It makes up for this by being slightly taller, but mostly by carrying the fuel lower like the Ty Davis tank, which is why it needs two petcocks where the IMS only uses one. It also comes with a machined filler insert so in the future you have the option of running a dry-break system without having to buy a new tank (you just need the new dry-break filler).

Caveats: The right-side petcock on the Acerbis will not clear a PC T4 header. The tank will not even mount on a 426 with this header installed. It is pretty close to the stock ’01 header (say, less than an inch), so I kind of doubt it will fit comfortably, if at all, with any aftermarket header.

Having seen a few in person, I would imagine the Davis tank shares this trait. So that is something you should look into if you don’t have the stock header. If you are worried about this I’d say get the std. IMS, it should clear any aftermarket header.

Hope this helps.

ssuperbike

Dec 5, 2000
Thats the kind of info I was looking for! I have a fmf system, and it is higher. I would imagine the Davis tank takes that into account? Does lowering the fuel make a big difference in feel? The clarke tanks are nice my brother in law has one, it is pretty nice. The Cycra tanks look killer but they only make it for the yz 125/250. The natural tank on the Honda is turning pink from the KLOTZ (shameless plug for those who help me out):D It looks kinda cool. Can you see the fuel level through the white tank? Thanks, Mike

Last edited:

webbrace

May 18, 2000
The standard IMS tank will fit with FMF header, you just have to be careful when you stick your hand between the pipe and the tank to turn the gas off. I have the natural IMS tank, it still looks pretty good and its over 2 years old. I run just normal old pump gas, sometimes race gas if i can bum some from my buddies, but it is holding up well. If you get the natural color, be sure to clean were your knees rub after you ride, 409 or Simple Green will usually scrub the brown off. If you run an odd fuel, or additive, it may change the color of the tank. It sure is nice to just look at the tank and see were your Gas is.;)

Hick

Aug 15, 2000
Mike,

IMO you should call IMS (I think they make the Ty tank), Davis himself or Montclair Yamaha and ask if it will clear your header. I’m curious if it does, because I don’t believe my Acerbis will.

You can’t see the fuel level on my white Acerbis from the outside. Unless you take off the cap (light coming in the hole will create a shadow). Short answer is no...

Gauging the fuel level by looking at my old opaque IMS tank was never easy, and in the wrong light impossible. I thought that being able to tell, at a glance, how much fuel I had left would be a valuable tool when I bought it. But I never used it, not in an off-road event or just play riding. I guess I generally know, more or less, how much gas I have. Doesn’t everybody?

I don’t make a priority out of aesthetics, my bike ends up looking pretty thrashed regardless, but boy did that opaque tank get ugly.

So I’m curious, what purpose are (barely) transparent tanks supposed to serve? In a race I would hope you would know ahead of time when you needed to pit without checking your fuel level.

Just curious.

webbrace

May 18, 2000
With the natural tank, it is fairly easy to see the gas. The big advantage is to your pit crew, They can tell when the fuel is getting close to the top and slow down the pouring of the gas , so that it dosent all go in your lap. ( and we all know what happens then , yeow). Or if you have a dry brake you can also tell when its full, by looking as a double check , before the rider pulls out.

will pattison

Sponsoring Member
Jul 24, 2000
ims tank: lame engineering
clarke tank: questionable finish quality

acerbis: blows them all away. clears the fmf power bomb on my scoot and the white brothers header on my buddy's just fine. skinny, excellent fit and finish, mounts both sides, comes with petcocks. nuff said.

wp.

Wild Hare

Aug 9, 2001
Both my KTM's have stock acerbis tanks... THE GAS CAPS SUCK. They are always trying to cross thread and leak like sieves unless you keep the o-ring stuffed in the top of the cap.

I think the quality of the IMS and the CLARKE tanks depends on the model. I've owned great IMS tanks, like the one on my YZ400 and ones that were not so hot...like the one on my CR500.

The first Clarke for the KTM RFS bikes fit so bad they recalled them, but their '00 CR250 tank is a work of ART!

I'd look at an example of what you're after on somebody else's bike and make up your own mind!:)

ssuperbike

Dec 5, 2000
I am finding that eduro's require a gas stop every 30-35 miles. I can get 40 comfortable miles riding hard on the stock tank. I will look around this weekend at the National enduro, there should be some. I am not in a big rush now I will wait till this winter. I am very impressed with Acerbis plastic, but the tank I saw was nice but I did not like the shape. I dont want the volcano in the 'nards syndrome. I want to look at the clarke and the Ims. I liked the cycra tank, but they only make one for the YZ 125/250. The clarke is my best deal and I can get a great deal on one. I was thinking clarke because of how nice the cr tank is and hoped the yz would be sweet also. I am heading all the advice and will wiegh my decicion alot more carefully now. Thanks -------Mike

SFO

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 16, 2001
mike,

Check out the pictures on the big bore thread.
I have a blue Ty Davis tank on my bike.
Plenty of header clearence for the arrow tapered header.
I like how low mine is and don't miss my choke.
I'd buy another one.

Jun 14, 1999
I have an Acerbis tank and I love it. I had a Ty tank and couldnt stand trying to reach for the choke up behind the tank.

The pipe thread fittings also stripped out on the petcocks (although I understand they corrected that problem).

The Acerbis tank in a side by side comaparison with the Ty tank was just as slender and much much better manufactured/finished. Very close to a factory quality finish.

Top Bottom